• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Crafting Skills

V

Vorthaaa

I think UO needs a massive crafting overhaul. I'm thinking something on par with a new expansion... lots of crafting skills that are useless (camping) need to be removed and maybe a half dozen new ones should be introduced. If they want to make equipment mean something, rather than just throwing more stuff like artifacts on NPCs, they should (and should have) made special elite crafting skills.

The game NEEDS to always revolve around players. NPCs should play no role at all in anything important once a player leaves Haven.

A

Azureal

The only crafting system Ive liked apart from UO has been the one in SWG. Cycling resources, graded quality on final product through resource stats and experimentation. And the reason those things worked so well and crafted items meant something wass due to a total lack of loot items, and item decay.

With the WOW-ification of UO over the past years (rare loot items, boss mobs, instances) crafting has taken a major backseat.

Adding new skills isnt going to fix this.

R

rafael

since I do to increase the castspeed of a magician darkelf
besides the simbulos and tattoos?

R

Ryix

I think they should just reintroduce "real" item decay, remove powder of fort and durability display. Then have at it.

Things shouldnt last forever and be chained to your account. You should never reach a perfect suit that lasts forever or until you make a stupid mistake.

If fighting reduced the life of your equipment people might start taking gm stuff out on hunts.

Leave the crafting system alone thou.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think they should just reintroduce "real" item decay, remove powder of fort and durability display. Then have at it.

Things shouldnt last forever and be chained to your account. You should never reach a perfect suit that lasts forever or until you make a stupid mistake.

If fighting reduced the life of your equipment people might start taking gm stuff out on hunts.

The crafting system is crap. GM armor is crap. Decay is crap without a viable means of replacement. YOu can't go back to GM armor unless you remove artifacts and that is not gonna happen at this point.

L

LadyMargaret

I remember back in the old days, having a GM Smith was SOMETHING!

When I got close to GM, 4 members of my guild just kept mining for me until I hit 100. It was a bonus to have ONE GM Smith in the Guild.

Now it's meaningless. Sad really.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

I've always disliked the crafting system, but it seems whenever they try to add something new for it we end up with more scripting.

P

packrat

We do not need new crafting skill. Just improve the ones we have with different rewards. The present rewards are lame and way out of date. With the time you spend doing smith bods to get a good hammer. You can go kill things and just buy a great weapon/armor pieces.
I think bods should give you ingredients to make awesome weapons. Sort of like Fletcher's use to make bows. Make it take like 6 to make a weapon. With some ingredients being rare. This way you cut down on useless weapons on the ground in the banks and save yourself carpal tunnels syndrome from all the clicking on making useless weapons.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How on earth is camping a crafting skill? Wtf are you crafting??? Sleep?

Landicine

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I've always thought about this real item decay idea that seems to come up a again and again. While I think it is another dead horse, I think it is important to explain why it won't lead to a new renaissance of crafters:

1. Blessed Items with Super Self Repair. I sold a few heritage tokens for like 200k on my vendor, and I think the price is still about that on my shard. I have at least 2 all 70s sets based around the frugal option that are the Ancient Samurai Helm and Leggings of Embers. I think the only time I had to repair them directly was after a battle with a Grizzle. While these aren't the greatest options in game, they would become much better in a world where self repair was a way to avoid losing an item eventually.

2. Artifacts have two options that make rebuilding a set around them preferable to crafted items in a world with real item decay. I) A named artifact has the same properties every time so when one broke for good, it would be easier to use a new one than craft a replica. II) Artifacts tend to have 255 durability, while most crafted items don't break 100. In the long run, the artifacts would have a longer life.

N

Nisse/Ubbe

Dont know if we need a new skill for this, but i want to be able to make scrolls.

I want herbalism.
1 to use skill for serten herbs only obtainebel by the skill
2 to grow your own regents.