• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

new computer.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I have been running my AMD A6 APU for a long time now without issue. It has outlived 2 power supplies, a liquid cooler, and a case.

I ended up bypassing the built-in video when a friend gave me a GTX1060 that for whatever reason wouldn't mine Etherium. He bought a dozen identical cards and all of them worked but the one he gave me, but it works just fine for video games. EVGA wouldn't warranty replace it because mining Etherium was not a supported feature.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I have been running my AMD A6 APU for a long time now without issue. It has outlived 2 power supplies, a liquid cooler, and a case.

I ended up bypassing the built-in video when a friend gave me a GTX1060 that for whatever reason wouldn't mine Etherium. He bought a dozen identical cards and all of them worked but the one he gave me, but it works just fine for video games. EVGA wouldn't warranty replace it because mining Etherium was not a supported feature.
For sure, AMD quality has been getting better for a long time. I think it's the older AMD cpus that people remember and turns them off. I haven't had a single problem with the 5+ AMD gaming pcs I've built over the past few years.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Has been a number of years since I had an AMD .... but I'm not willing to go back to them... I'll stick with Intel and NVidia.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
AMD beating intel 2-1 in sales says something about where AMD is today vs where AMD was 15-20 years ago :)

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Early on I used Cyrix chips and then AMD when I got into P200 and higher units. I found AMD to always be less expensive than Intel AND if you're into it, over-clockable in many instances. As for Mobo, Gigabyte, MSI and Asus have been the boards of choice through the years.

And Newegg for the shopping! Hands down. :)

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Early on I used Cyrix chips and then AMD when I got into P200 and higher units. I found AMD to always be less expensive than Intel AND if you're into it, over-clockable in many instances. As for Mobo, Gigabyte, MSI and Asus have been the boards of choice through the years.

And Newegg for the shopping! Hands down. :)
Microcenter sometimes has better prices and can pickup same day if your near one.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I just got this little mini usb wifi adapter to replace network cable and it kicks royal behind.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC13...0EW8AYSF9TP&psc=1&refRID=RFDRAJ7YT0EW8AYSF9TP

Cost me $25 only and it can stream hd videos like nothing. I installed the CD, plug in the mini usb and wala! Took me a grand total of 4 minutes. Connected at 850 megs/sec and at 5 Ghz. Built for future and capable of delivering 1+ megs/sec speeds (says 1300 mb/s). May want to look at something like this if you are working with HD video and don't want the clutter of network cables all over, esp if you don't have network plus in wall etc. I think this is the last version, and so far has not failed. I read some neg. reviews about the competition (Linksys and others). Also this one will work ok with mac, all windows versions plus Linux incarnations. Backward compatible with the slower wifis also, plus the new AC one when it becomes a standard..

Old Man of UO

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
ASUS Prime B450M-A/CSM AM4
I just recently built a new system with this GIGABYTE B450M; ... The reason I went with the GIGABYTE was because I wanted to give the Realtek 8118 Gaming LAN a tryout. Previously I only bought Intel LAN.
Another reason not to use ASUS motherboard is the self-installed monitoring program that was hacked earlier this year. I will not use ASUS until they stop this nonsense.

A bit late to the game here, but for video storage I buy 4TB HGST (WD) hard drives on ebay that are recycled from large server farms. I've never had one fail - just be sure it is SATA 3 and 7200 RPM. I watch prices and get them for about $40.