• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Character Experience of Graveyard and Crypt

Vee

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
[ Characters – Vaide (Sword/Archery, Verriel (Fire Mage/Unarmed), Verrai (Werewolf/Unarmed) ]
[ Also Viva (Staff/Battle Chemistry) when/if Hogan starts training Staff again.]

On 4 February 2014 I created a new character - Versa - after reading the Blog post on projectgorgon.com. Versa used sword/archery for nearly the whole time described below. I played what I thought was one of the likely quest sequences a new player would choose.

1) The new player cave was straightforward. I have played through it 4 times before and could easily defeat all the skeletons and wolves. There were no places where I had to fight more than one at once and respawns were not happening around me. I saw a few tombstones with 2 or 3 for each name which indicates that first time players are picking up the control useage OK. The pet I used died immediately when I was hit first and it attacked and drew aggro. With it set to follow after that it got to the end but wouldn't follow me through the portal.
Q1a. Will this be a tutorial if 20 players start at the same time?
Q1b. Will new players give up on pets?

2) Went to town and talked to all the NPC's and got all the quests they offer. I didn't explore the empty buildings so didn't meet the 2 mantids.
Q2a. If a new player explores and has to fight the 2 mantids will they have a chance?
Q2b. Why isn't there an indication of difficulty with the quests?
Q2c. Why are quests like “Kill Myconians” given out to new players?

3) Did Blanches favor – Pink crystal – first because of the comments of the last NPC in the tutorial cave. Killing the red deer was very easy because they don't have a fire attack now or a rage attack either. I killed 10 of them to get another favor and had Sword 6 at the end. Most spawned so close to me that I didn't use archery much.
Q3. Are these red deer intended to be very easy?

4) While fighting the red deer I had 4 sword skills and I thought that more than one skill was being used per sword swing giving a high initial burst of damage before the reuse timer took effect. I could see the same with archery later on.
Q4. Do weapons have a basic timer such as 2 seconds for a bow?

5) Set off for the crypt to get blue crystal. I diverted to the farm to talk to NPC's and while there tried to fight the bear with unarmed swapped in for archery so I could use kick. I couldn't beat it but got much closer than I expected. Someone was fighting at the alter SW of the farm with a couple of gravestones there and about 4 mantids in view that weren't fighting. It appears that there is some difficulty with this alter but success was achieved while I watched.

6) Where the trail runs between ridges there were skeletons on both sides and it is hard to spot them because a lot of their coloration is background seen between the bones. I got onto the south ridge as there were fewer there and fought several singly along its length but at the end I had to fight pairs. Outside the graveyard gate I fought 3 though one ran away during the fight. Inside I fought 2, 3 and then a single to get to the portal. I watched someone portal out and he was attacked before he moved away from the portal. Character runs on spot after clicking on portal.

7) Inside the crypt I usually had to fight 2 spiders at a time but usually the nearest spider was killed by 2 arrows before it reached me and the second often took only one sword hit to kill. At the entry I automatically killed the 2 spiders in the short passage because they often join in the first fight with the spiders in the long passage so if this usually happens a new player wouldn't know and might have to fight 4 of them.
Q7a. Are the first pairs of spiders in the two passages linked and if so should they be?
Q7b. If players pick new combat skills in town will they be able to succeed here?

8) After getting the blue crystal I attacked the 4 spiders in the passage leading deeper into the crypt and was surprised to beat them after running out of power before the end. Losing would have got me back to the entrance quicker. I attacked the next group but at least one of them was much stronger so I died there after being stunned for a lot of the fight. When I portaled out I was attacked by more than 3 skeletons and was hurt before I could move and died there. No bone meal was found in the graveyard or crypt.
Q8. Why isn't there a neutral zone at the portal because of the large variation in time to become active?

9) After resurrecting I went back to the graveyard for bone meal and once inside found myself under constant attack with skeletons moving around more than I have seen before and after running out of power I died. Still no bone meal. I tried again and this time found bone meal and one at a time skeletons so finished. I had Archery 8 and Sword 9 by this time.

My conclusion from the above is that there are places in the game now, at all levels, where players have to fight several enemies. If there are frequent deaths I think this can lead to testers concluding that they don't want to continue before they have seen much of the game. Also when people try out a game to see if they like it enough to hand over cash this first zone is where they will decide so I think that “playability” is more important in Serbule than the higher level areas.

Soltanis

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
in regards to number four, I don't believe there are any global cooldowns on skills. It would slow combat down heavily if there was, particularly for archery. it would become a near useless skill.

I believe the dungeons are not intended to be Solo'd which is why you were finding the larger packs of monsters.
I to, have found that monsters will come to the aid of monsters through walls, which can cause a lot of problems.

Were you able to get any bone meal out of the skeletons and urns on the floor of the graveyard?

Last edited:

Vee

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
All the skills have reuse timers and after the beginning of a fight these control when a skill is used but as I remember it when I first started playing at the beginning of a fight the skills were sequenced. I am not sure of it but it seems that when the ability to queue skills was added it meant that an initial burst af damage was possible.
The first part of the Crypt to get Blue Crystal is handed out to new players as if it was an individual quest. With a ranged attack, like archery or fire magic, having 4 spiders attack in a strung out line can be handled though it is probably very challenging the first time. I guess it would be harder without a ranged attack.
I got bone meal from graveyard skeletons and urns on my third try. The first try none of the urns had it and I can't remember if any of the inactive skeletons were there.

Soltanis

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I started playing shortly before the recent combat update so I don't know how it was before.

I don't really understand what you mean by sequenced. Could you explain what would happen before when you used a skill, so I have a better understanding.

To my knowledge skills currently:
  • When used play an animation.
  • When used start re-use timer or cooldown.
  • Another skill can't be used until the animation finishes.
  • The same skill can't be used again until it's re-use timer or cooldown has finished.
Are you finding the animations too short or that it's possible to cancel the animation?

Last edited:

Vee

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
On 19 Jan a Tweet says "You can now queue up your next attack instead of having to wait for the cooldown before pressing". I didn't find patch notes saying when this came in. As I remember it earlier I had to wait for attack1 to fire and strike before I could select attack2. With archery I was using the "clunk" sound as a guide that I could fire my second shot which would be a different skill as the cooldown on attack1 was still running. If I was too early nothing happened.
Now I can have a second arrow leaving my bow before the first arrow has reached the target. Because of the range this is much more obvious to me than sword attacks though I think the same is happening with them too. I can now get more arrows fired before the monster reaches me than I could before.
It used to be that skeleton archers would yell and fall over before the arrow reached them so I didn't use animations for timing but the sound worked for me.