• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Blacksmithing] New 120 BS

T

Triryn

So I have a few hammers (Bronze and Golden) and I want to burn them just to see what i can get.

My question comes what is important other than: Tally, Skill, Runic?

I have heard stories that your stats matter when crafting IE Str, Int, Dex. Can anyone tell me what I need to know before I start burning these runics.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Stats haven't meant anything in 6 or more years. Way before Age of Shadows, you had two skill levels "Real skill" and "adjusted skill", where the adjusted skill was your real skill plus a bonus based on the primary stat for the skill.

First of all, remember that any item that requires multiple peerless ingredients is not affected by runics - you make those with normal tools.

Next, make sure that the combination of your skill plus your talisman will make the item exceptional 100% of the time - if it is not, you can then equip an Ancient Smith Hammer to bump your skill higher (most items, including the recipe items, can be made 100% exceptional with a +25% exceptional talisman and a +15 ASH). Only 3 Dragon scale armor, Chao Shield, Order shield, Lajatang, Tessen and 6 pieces of SE oriental Plate (3 of which are Kabuto helms), require higher skill (a +30 ASH combined with a +25% exceptional talisman and 120 skill for 100% exceptional on Kabutos, the most difficult).

You'll want to have Arms lore for the DI bonus to weapons, additional resists for armor.

After that, then the runic properties themselves come into play, along with the recipe (if you're making a recipe item).

T

Triryn

When I craft an Item I want Exceptional but when I enchance I need Reg bonus Correct?

I have 2 different tallies I use. 28exce 12reg and 29reg 15exce.

I have 100 Lore already.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
According to questions asked to the devs at Town Halls, talismans don't affect enhancing, only crafting - I WISH they helped enhancing.

On the other Hand, Ancient Smith Hammers do affect Enhancing, a 1% bonus per 10 points over GM on your final total skill. That's why +30 & +60 hammers should only be used for enhancing, since you can make everything else with a +15 Hammer & good talisman, with only the 13 hardest items under 100% exceptional (as noted before).