• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Neon rubbish.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And so it starts, a new range of neon hair dyes for sale at 20mill each thanks to the asian markets......
for god sake, ban this rubbish from our shards or make a 'classic' shard where this junk wont exsist.
Where in a 'medieval' history did you see warriors running around with neon armour and pink hair!!!!

Join me in a new Holy crusade........Ban Neon!!!!!!

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Medieval? Didn't one of the Ultima games (that UO is based in the same universe as) have robots? I've never seen a medieval robot.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know what i'm getting at.
Neon doesn't belong in UO anywhere.

The Devs try and tone it down with the new range of ToT pigments only to be undone by the asian market selling new and old neon rubbish to polute our shards.

U

UOKaiser

The Devs try and tone it down with the new range of ToT pigments only to be undone by the asian market selling new and old neon rubbish to polute our shards.
1 reason why we don't get all those shiny perks that the asian shards get. The asian shards want to move forward. While the rest of the shards want to stay 11 years in the past probably much longer since the original ultimas had spaceships.

C

canary

That's odd, I don't see a developer tag on your screen name.

Me? I'm indifferent.

PS: I don't know what you are getting at, seeing we have cat people, lizard people and big freakin' dragons around. Ultima was based on craziness like time travel, space travel, etc etc.

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's odd, I don't see a developer tag on your screen name.

Me? I'm indifferent.

PS: I don't know what you are getting at, seeing we have cat people, lizard people and big freakin' dragons around. Ultima was based on craziness like time travel, space travel, etc etc.
He thinks neon looks crap and out of place.

Littleblue

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am glad that there is a way for those that enjoy the variety of colors to obtain the original ToT1 dyes...customization has always been one of the things I really enjoy about UO.

Although some might not like the looks of all the colors available, many players do. After all, the regular dye tubs have some pretty bright colors to choose from too.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To people that wonder why they recolored the TOT1 dyes into drab and dull colours as well as not make them available in the US UO store, see the OP's stance on this.

I happen to like the neon dyes! Hey, it's not the fault of the dyes if people can't colour-coordinate their clothes. Besides, pink/blaze/ice-blue/ice-white hair dyes etc etc were available from Melisand (and some from the npc hairdresser before that, that special hair dye menu that was meant as a gold sink).

Even without the dyes, lots of items come in neow colors anyway, so before banning neon colours because your vision of medieval UO is less colourful, consider the following - inquisitors coming in invul blue? Dryad bow coming in dryad green? Armour of fortune coming in paragon gold? Leggings of ember coming in fire orange? Violet courage coming in violet courage purple? Taskmaster coming in nox green? Shadow dancer leggings coming in shadowdancer black?

I also support a classic server.

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And so it starts, a new range of neon hair dyes for sale at 20mill each thanks to the asian markets......
for god sake, ban this rubbish from our shards or make a 'classic' shard where this junk wont exsist.
Where in a 'medieval' history did you see warriors running around with neon armour and pink hair!!!!

Join me in a new Holy crusade........Ban Neon!!!!!!
I won't be joining you. I like the neon colors. :D

S

Saris

If there was neon dyes back in the dark ages we would have been all decked out, older cultures even further back dyed their hair with bright berry juice and flowers, and even nords were know to use very bright colors in the form of face paint and leather dye.

That being said Sosaria is a land misplaced in time, a world that has virtualy no bearing on ours.

It contains every thing from evil deamon robots to furry bartenders.

That said, if you dont like neon dont use it.
How about if EA release a new hue file for those that dont want neons in game.
Hell I could probly make one myself and it would not be that hard.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Medieval? Didn't one of the Ultima games (that UO is based in the same universe as) have robots? I've never seen a medieval robot.
DaVinci dabbled into mechanations. Add some magic to the mix and whala, medieval robots. :)

Oh and the neon is getting out of hand...period.

S

sayler04

If you don't like neon hair dye, don't dye your hair neon.

If you don't like anachronisms, try another game.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How would we see it? none of us were born back then. :p. There was no photographs back then either So who is to say there wasn't warriors running around with neon colored hair or armor. :D

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You know..... I used to hate the Neon......
But it's not my head..... Kinda like all the people I see running about with as my father puts it..... "Hardware" all over their faces.....

Not my face ... I don't have to wear it.. so I really don't care. If someone else wants to wear fishing tackle all over their face who am I to complain.... they are the ones that have to try to find gainful employment not me... I have a good job....

Now.... would I hire someone with all that ..... No. But that is my choice... Do I care if someone else wants to wear tacky bright neon clothes and dye their hair bright glowing blue or blaze.... NOPE..... Now.... in my own guild I do have a dress code..... which is enforced... do I care if their hair looks silly? Well... If you want to have bright hair that stands out like a sore thumb hey that's your prerogative... but if that makes you a pretty easy target for PvP that's also your problem...

Certainly makes you stand out and easy to target..... But then I'm Drow so my hair is bright white..... so I can't talk.

The only thing that makes me ill is the Crystal house tiles...... which I find horrible..... but that can be way harder to ignore than 1 or 2 people 18x18 plot of crystaline ugliness is more than I can stand..... but that's just me.

As for the dyes and the hair it's not like 100's of folk can't get the neon crap from Lady M anyway... so selling it on the web isn't going to matter...

And that's my opinion with the Tokuno dye as well..... It's not like you can't get the blaze and all that and reward cloth from tailoring is just as bad.... so who cares? Really.....

And as far as "realism" goes with Medieval life.... Um.... I don't recall any necromancers, Mages..... or anything like that in the dark ages..... No dragons, Unicorns.... Trolls..... Ogres....

I mean come on and get serious..... It's a FANTASY GAME...... So basicly in my opinion..... anything goes. Though I myself would be disturbed if they put guns in the game..... though I would like cannons that did something.... other than visual... did some damage like an explosion pot... would be cool... but that's my opinion.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

If you played Ultima 6,7 you find all kinds of neon.

Some keys were glacial, the ring of vile color was also part of the older stand alone Ultima games and many more colors you call neon.

For me its the noxious pastels that are killing my game.

gunneroforgin

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To people that wonder why they recolored the TOT1 dyes into drab and dull colours as well as not make them available in the US UO store, see the OP's stance on this.

I happen to like the neon dyes! Hey, it's not the fault of the dyes if people can't colour-coordinate their clothes. Besides, pink/blaze/ice-blue/ice-white hair dyes etc etc were available from Melisand (and some from the npc hairdresser before that, that special hair dye menu that was meant as a gold sink).

Even without the dyes, lots of items come in neow colors anyway, so before banning neon colours because your vision of medieval UO is less colourful, consider the following - inquisitors coming in invul blue? Dryad bow coming in dryad green? Armour of fortune coming in paragon gold? Leggings of ember coming in fire orange? Violet courage coming in violet courage purple? Taskmaster coming in nox green? Shadow dancer leggings coming in shadowdancer black?

I also support a classic server.
nope no classic server and i believe that the reason for for the new dyes was so you would hate them and turn them in.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
nope no classic server and i believe that the reason for for the new dyes was so you would hate them and turn them in.
The new TOT3 dyes aren't exactly the neon ones that the OP dislikes though...I think he's referring to the TOT1 neon dyes that were major arties that people needed to turn-in minors to receive.

Edit: After reading Gunner's post again, I think Gunner was referring to my mention of the dull coloured dyes in TOT2. And that the devs deliberately made them ugly so that people would turn them in.

Though in that case, it would probably have been alot easier for the devs to remove dyes totally from TOT2.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As long as the neon-colored dudes stay at their Luna Bank, I have no problem.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Medieval was in quotes meaning that we know its that style of game.

Yes im sure they would have worn neon if they had it but they didnt.

I'm just stating that things are becoming 'wrong' in game and its loosing it's feel, with each step they take it away from the game that people play it for.

I mean c'mon, a stealther wearing neon blue and gold?? I'm pretty certain i'd still be able to see that. well unless he was hiding in a big pile of sick!

Yes, a neon filter would be a godsend. :danceb:

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And seriously, those who believe that people in the middle ages didn't like bright colors should look at the history of decorative arts ...[/url]
We all know that decorative and bright colors have always been attractive to people in the middle ages, even to indians. However, NEON colors are a product of the 1980s. They are signal colors that can only be created by modern industry, and not by using the typical color pigments. That's why neon colors may seem a little out of place in a RPG that clearly has its focus on medieval content, and not on modern industry.

T

TheGrayGhost

The funny thing is, the wealthy back in that time period flaunted the more colourful clothing and the more absurd styles. It was another thing that distinguished the classes. The poor wore very dull colors while the rich wore the more colorful and outlandish styles. Given the way things were back then, had there been neon dyes back then it would be a ganruntee that the higher classes would all be wearing blindingly neon outfits. The more eye catching the better.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
http://www.virtue.to/articles/extant.html

They didn't start wearing outlandish clothing untill around the 1400's. Even then the colours wernt Bright, they were vibrant.
For bright you would have to look at the late Renaissance or Tudor, but still nothing near to neon.

C

Coppelia

I hate MrTact for putting Neon in ToT1 instead of a metal dye tub like asked and on WBB TownCryer, I hate ML for aggravating with Melisande hair dyes. I hate AoS for a lot of things, including neon weapons (white/bright yellow cloth isn't too bad).

So of course I'm against Neon too. The normal dye tub can already create quite some horrors, we didn't need more.
It's more than it's not medieval/renaissance look, even if that's what brought me to UO (and not stupid fuzzies, bobbits and spaceships the crappy Ultima series have). When the neon started to be everywhere I thought : oh no, it's EverQuest ugly!

Frankly, what has UO become? Is that evolution? Looking forward?

Seriously, you like that? :(

UO turning into...

Well, not even as ugly in fact.

Sooo... Thank you current devs for ToT3 metalish dyes!

BAN THE NEON!

:p

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wrong, *ding,* thanks for playing anyway.

First off, your definition of "neon" is a bit off... I don't think there is a single thing in the game that actually "glows" because of "neon" colors. Are they bright? Yes. Is there historical precedence for bright colors in the course of history? Ask the Egyptians. You might be surprised.

As far as whether or not it belongs in UO... it's clearly already IN UO, and why it bothers people so much is beyond me.

If you don't like it, don't wear it, don't use it, don't own it. If someone else likes it, that's their business.

Me... I think people with neon hair usually look silly -- a couple of colors look just fine. Does it interrupt my game play? Do I sit around for hours looking at them and wondering why that color exists?

I mean, come on already. Find something useful to gripe about.

K

Kiminality

I don't much like the bright colours.
Not because they don't belong, or anything like that... I figure that anything the Devs put in UO thereafter belongs in UO.
The main thing I don't like about them is that it gives people with terrible taste to assault my eyes with it, in incredibly garish ways.

S

Saris

Still I would think this belongs as a rant, unless you want the deves to change it, then its more of a nerf, nerfs are bad.

I realy think a custom Hue.txt would fix ya all up, even better would be if EA made one real quick and allowed you to turn off the neon colors in the options.

However I would much rather them spend time working on events and new content, just my 2 cents