• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Need some computer troubleshooting

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i was cleaning out my C drive today and deleted a bunch of files when i reboot the machine i got this message on a black background that said:

NTSLDR file not found
Press ctrl>alt>delete to continue

So when I do that, it goes through a semi booting then back to this page again. and I can't go beyond this page.

What can i do? Waht is the problem? I don't want to reimage the computer or if I do can I still save the contents on my C-drive?

thanks,

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i was cleaning out my C drive today and deleted a bunch of files when i reboot the machine i got this message on a black background that said:

NTSLDR file not found
Press ctrl>alt>delete to continue

So when I do that, it goes through a semi booting then back to this page again. and I can't go beyond this page.

What can i do? Waht is the problem? I don't want to reimage the computer or if I do can I still save the contents on my C-drive?

thanks,
Oooh. Not good. You deleted the NTLDR file off the root of your machine. The contents of your hard drive is still there, but you can't boot your system because you are missing some boot files.

Here are your choices:

1) Run the XP or Vista install disk and repair your system.
2) Take it down to Best Buy or other Computer store and pay them to fix your drive.
3) If you are just missing root files, take out your C Drive and place it into an External Drive bay. Connect it to another system with the same OS, and boot that system up. Copy the root files off the C: drive of your second machine to the external drive. If you get the message to replace a file, say "NO".
4) Copy the the root files from another system to a USB Thumb Drive. Boot you system using a Windows PE CD, then copy the files from the USB Thumb Drive to the root of your system. If you get the message to replace a file, say "no". You can get a version of Windows PE called BART PE at http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

And from this day forward, if you don't know what a file is, DON'T DELETE IT!!!!! Especially from the root of your system or the Windows Folder.

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the quick reply. See this is why I love this game.