• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Need some advice:

T

Trollbane

Well as the subject says I'm looking for some advice:

As you all know raising taming can be a bit of a pain at times, and I'm currently at 360 total skill and have recently tamed a drake.

I've been debating whether I should try hunting some stuff (nothing big just to get experience), however I haven't been working up other skills so my vet is still below 40 and magery is at 55.

So basically, should I just stick with it and get to GM/110 taming before working up vet/magery or should I skill up vet/magery even if it might make the taming take longer (?) to finish off and have a bit of fun/get some experience?

G

Taming is going to go slowly no matter what you do. It will get to the point that you happily live off of GGS. I would go hunting and be done with it.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
<blockquote><hr>

Taming is going to go slowly no matter what you do. It will get to the point that you happily live off of GGS. I would go hunting and be done with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to agree with this, to a point. Reguardless it helps to work Taming but using that drake will help you gain in Vet, Lore, and since Vet is so low you'll be using a good bit of magery too most likely. Though I would invest a bit of time working on the magery to assist your pet.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
<blockquote><hr>

Well as the subject says I'm looking for some advice:

As you all know raising taming can be a bit of a pain at times, and I'm currently at 360 total skill and have recently tamed a drake.

I've been debating whether I should try hunting some stuff (nothing big just to get experience), however I haven't been working up other skills so my vet is still below 40 and magery is at 55.

So basically, should I just stick with it and get to GM/110 taming before working up vet/magery or should I skill up vet/magery even if it might make the taming take longer (?) to finish off and have a bit of fun/get some experience?

[/ QUOTE ]
My advice is, go have some fun. You will have to do some grinding at some point to develop yourself to the point where you can have some more fun, but always make sure you leave room to just go blow off some steam and have fun. You also learn a ton having fun, that you will never learn by straight power training.

I would also strongly suggest that you go make some friends and join a guild. You will learn more from friends than just about anything else. I'm not suggesting you make friends just to use them, just letting you know that there are many benefits to having friends in game and being part of an active guild. Just the friendship itself is worth the time and effort, but you will also find that it helps you advance in the game much faster, and with much less effort than you would going it alone.

T

Trollbane

Well I'll give it a go then, Thank you all for the advice.

J

joblackjon

I'm currently training a Tamer, my third, and I really advise having some fun or you'll get very frustrated when you hit 90-100.

What I find fun, challenging and good training is to tame 5 critters in my gain range and immediately attack something much bigger. Right now I'm taming lowly Gaman in Kitsuni Woods and use them to kill Kits and Tsuki Wolves. Gets me some gold, leather, etc. and a fun challenge keeping the little guys alive.

BTW keep you total real skill points between 400 and 475. That way your pretty much guaranteed a GGS gain every day with a few tames.

P

Prudentis

My recommendation would be, to get your real taming skill as high as you can bear it, say about 90-95 as fast as possible (powering through) and then just stop thinking about it much

It is very easy to find jewelry, that will increase such skill to 110 or even 120.
This will also work with real skill at 80 but you will need better jewelry (a +15 ring and a +15 bracelet will still get you to 110)
Then tame yourself a nice fighting pet or a pair and go have fun. I prefer the old time mare+WW combo. Other nice possibilities include a greater hiryu or cu sidhe with an additional riding pet.

To gain taming from there, just use GGS and if you feel like it, do an hour of zoo taming (unicorns, kirins) or other specific creature taming spots, depending on current skill. This way, you only have to have the patience initially, which in my oppinoin is easier to muster and after that, it's just doing what you feel like.

I

imported_Sarphus

<blockquote><hr>

My recommendation would be, to get your real taming skill as high as you can bear it, say about 90-95 as fast as possible (powering through) and then just stop thinking about it much

It is very easy to find jewelry, that will increase such skill to 110 or even 120.
This will also work with real skill at 80 but you will need better jewelry (a +15 ring and a +15 bracelet will still get you to 110)
Then tame yourself a nice fighting pet or a pair and go have fun. I prefer the old time mare+WW combo. Other nice possibilities include a greater hiryu or cu sidhe with an additional riding pet.

To gain taming from there, just use GGS and if you feel like it, do an hour of zoo taming (unicorns, kirins) or other specific creature taming spots, depending on current skill. This way, you only have to have the patience initially, which in my oppinoin is easier to muster and after that, it's just doing what you feel like.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this guy.

I wouldn't mess around with drakes, though. Drakes are REAL weak for their control slots because they are one of the original tameables. Get a pair of bake kitsune with decent resists. You should be able to hunt pretty effectively with a decent pair of bakes. Then you can just wear taming jewlery and GGS the rest of taming. I would strongly recommend grinding taming till you're around 95. At 95 + jewlery, you can control a lot of decent pets, so you can do more stuff. Also, if you manage to find a good pet, don't use it till it bonds. If you really want to get out and hunt, tame another of the same type of pet so you can hunt while you wait for it to bond.

With bakes, you'll find they're a LOT weaker before you train them, but once you train them, they're VERY powerful. You'll also notice a huge difference in a fully trained bake with low resists compared to a fully trained bake with high resists. It's worth the time to get one that has solid resists.