• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Need information about UO.

T

trebor

I am considering joining the UO community. I have a few questions though before I commit. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

1- Which shard should I choose? I am in NE Minnesota.

2- What content is included in the 14 day free trial? I see there are expansion packs, are these included?

3- Is there a known guild that helps new players?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
the shard I would choose would depend on the connectivity you have i am in oregon but play on lake superior shard and pacific shard i would look through the different shard forums and see what kind of people you meet

the forteen day trial did not used to include mondains legacy not sure if this is the same now i think it is on uo stratics main page there are links that tell about what each one has at that low a level you should have access to most anything you would need or want to go to at the time upgrade to new expansions as you feel the need at higher levels you will most likely want to do this

as for known guilds there are many but also will depend on the shard you play so as said above check out the different shard forums and see if you meet the people you think you would enjoy the most
hope this helps

Nystul

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. Choose the shard with the best ping. Then check the shard forums, and/or log in and see which as the best (in your opinion, for your playstyle) community that you can gather.

2. no idea :( sorry

3. There is on my shard, Catskills. I'm sure others do. New Haven (Where you start out at) would be your best place to find out besides your shard forums. You should be able to ask some other players that frequent New Haven, I'm sure they will know!

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
one other thing you can play on every shard but can only build a house on one shard so one house per account but you can still play on all other shards

P

packrat

Dont start on Lake Superior. That shard has been going down. You will get frustrated. I dont think you can place a house with the 15 day free accounts anymore.
I suggest you start out as a craftsman or fisherman. A warrior skill will take a while to bring up. You can do fishing fairly easy and get magery to help you out.
Archery is another fun template.. Just costly because of the arrows.
If you start out on Napa let me know, I will get you a few things to start you out.

T

Thrand Graywolf

Dont start on Lake Superior. That shard has been going down. You will get frustrated.
Hey now...LS is a nice place. It's only been having trouble for a few days now, and whatever it is they'll figure it out. Generally speaking the shards are rock solid these days.

When you start UO for the first time, you end up in a new player oriented town called New Haven. Often you can find helpful people there, and there's lots of quests that help you build starting skills quickly. Just ask for help and you'll usually get it.

L

Luna du Selene

Dont start on Lake Superior. That shard has been going down.
This is true, but I would hope you're not dissuaded from considering Lake Superior. I'm sure (fingers crossed) the shard instability is temporary. LS has a very friendly and helpful community with highly respected and spirited players. Many of us would be happy to help you as you begin your adventures.

Happy journeys to you, whichever shard you may choose :)

P

packrat

Hey now...LS is a nice place. It's only been having trouble for a few days now, and whatever it is they'll figure it out.
He only has a few days to play. And if the shard is down when he is ready to play that would not be a good start. Or if he is playing and it goes down, when it comes back up he will be left without his possessions if he is dead.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
lol ls shard just went down go figure but it is a great shard its my home shard and yes you can nolonger place houses on accounts under 15 days

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Lake Austin is a nice shard, but very low population. It's considered to be one of the more friendly ones.

Depending on the age of the trial account, you may or may not need more than one expansion.

You won't have Mondain's Legacy on a trial account. However, unlike other games, upgrading to the most recent expansion includes all the expansions. Depending on the age of the trail account, you may or may not have Samurai Empire (if you can get to Tokuno via the moongates, you have SE).

Upgrading to Mondain's Legacy or buying a Ninth Anniversary Edition boxed set/upgrade code, will get you everything to date. The Ninth Anniversary box is harder to find, but much cheaper.

gunneroforgin

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dont start on Lake Superior. That shard has been going down. You will get frustrated. I dont think you can place a house with the 15 day free accounts anymore.
I suggest you start out as a craftsman or fisherman. A warrior skill will take a while to bring up. You can do fishing fairly easy and get magery to help you out.
Archery is another fun template.. Just costly because of the arrows.
If you start out on Napa let me know, I will get you a few things to start you out.
any character can make arrows and archers are powerfull beginning players.

Z

Zippididooda

1. Siege Perilous- its the best thing in MMORPG's, Im sure many people will tell you to join a regular shard, but since you made your way here, make your way over to the siege board and start a thread there. The people over there are some of the best in gaming and Ill say that you will get more help there than anywhere else
2. No Idea
3. Siege has a whole guild named NEW to help players get started on our shard.

L

LadyArden

I found Sonoma to be one of the friendliest shards (but smaller) when I looked around, and Great Lakes to be one of the most active.

I hope you do enjoy the trial -you will download the game and a few update patches, then you should be able to get a feel for the game. I would go Paladin/Warrior though for a short trial. Probably best not to try a tamer for a short run of it.

You can always ask questions here and on the shard forums. Good luck wherever you choose. Oh yeah, do not follow anyone to Fel unless you're okay with dying and losing what you're carrying.

M

Mythic

You know, the suggestion to start on Siege is a good one, That right there is what most veteran members remember and love most about UO. I wish I had Started on Siege when it first became available. Keep in mind though youll only have one charector there so maybe it wouldnt be a bad idea to start out on a regular production shard(LS comes to mind immedialty :) ) and see whats going to work for you.

L

Lord Drakelord

I am considering joining the UO community. I have a few questions though before I commit. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

2- What content is included in the 14 day free trial? I see there are expansion packs, are these included?

I'm on cable and play on Sonoma, but live in Arkansas, "Sonoma" is a west coast shard, and we mainly play there due to a large group of friends and a huge old guild we are in. I believe the 14 day trail will give you just the basics and will not allow access to those 'ML' areas. But it will give you a general idea of the lands of UO.

One thing I do not see is a question concerning the Kingdow Reborn 'KR' vrs the old 2d UO. There are two clients that you may choose from, the KR which is a newer fancy 3d like version of UO and the older 2d client. You will see alot of fols that play both, or just one or ther other, I'm 2d only as I don't like the 3d looks of KR.

Best you can do is read the shard forums, post your message there about guilds that help newer folks, and you could also check around on those shards, log in on a charactor and walk around the shard and talk to folks, or just take a tour of the lands. If you have a new account, your charactor will be what is called "Young", and will be able to go just about any where with some protection from the GODS of UO, except in dungeons. So its a good place to learn the layout of the land while in "Young" form.

And if you stick around and fine you like the game you may wish to visit the gamecode store. You can purchase stuff like a Ultima Online™ Legacy Token Very useful as it allows you to get what is called "The Charger of the Fallen" a blessed armor horse that any new charactor may ride in game. But i would wait till you fine the shard you going to call home before going there and making your purchases.

Good luck in game and if you are passing thru Sonoma, drop by the PAS web site and say hello, http://www.peoplesarmyofsonoma.net/index.php :D

L

Lord Drakelord

1. Siege Perilous- its the best thing in MMORPG's, Im sure many people will tell you to join a regular shard, but since you made your way here, make your way over to the siege board and start a thread there. The people over there are some of the best in gaming and Ill say that you will get more help there than anywhere else
2. No Idea

Don't rush off to Siege as you will lose "Young" status on all shards, use the "Young" time to travel around shards and see the lands with some protection, explore first before you rush off to Siege.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Join Siege Perilous. You don't want to waste your time on the productions shards. And yes, there is a guild [NEW] specifically set up to help new players to the shard...la

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
2. No Idea

Don't rush off to Siege as you will lose "Young" status on all shards, use the "Young" time to travel around shards and see the lands with some protection, explore first before you rush off to Siege.
Shush you...la

Beerman72

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1) Well Sir, you are my neighbor to the north. The best ping you will probably get shardwise would be Origin or the Atlantic shard. Origin is more or less a permanent testbed, with good people and a smaller population. Atlantic on the other hand is the busier of shards, and possibly the most populous of all UO shards as a whole.

2) In regards to the trial, you can freely download the Mondains Legacy Client from UO.com. I do believe most content is available to the trial account except for house placement.

3) I dont know offhand anymore which guilds help new players on Atlantic.

Beerman72

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
VERY sound advice. Siege is an interesting place, but take your 14 days available to you to get a feel of things before jumping off that *deepend*

*hides coin*...I fear the breathmint is near! la of Rico!

T

T_Amon_from_work

There are 2 good points in all the messages here ...
As a new person, you have the ability to be tagged as [young] meaning that for a decent portion of your early days you will NOT be attacked by normal mobs as you travel the lands - unless you attack them first. Thus your best bet to get used to the game mechanics, learn the lands AND with little serious issue from attackers is this.

On production shards (not Siege or Mugen) you start in a "facet" named Trammel where non-consentual PvP (thieving, PK, etc) cannot take place.

Once you REALLY feel comfortable with the game, Siege Perilous (and Mugen) is for the experienced person who is willing to brave the dangers of PvP, etc. This is the original game with some different rules in skill gain, NPC shops and so forth. As others have noted the guild [NEW] on that shard is an active one and will help you.

On production shards, the facet of Felucca is the non-con PvP area.
===
As to where you are and best shard ... I'm in NY, on cable and play Lake Austin which I think is a West Coast shard. It really depends on the stability and speed of your connection.

I hope you do join us ... and despite the woe-is-us folks, UO is alive and the game has lots to offer or it would not have been around for 10+ years.

Be well!

M

Mythic

If you have a good cable connection I dont think the connectivity matters so much. I live in colorado and play on Lake superior when i connect best with lake austin, siege, and origin. Oh Lake Austin is based in Texas.
I play both LS and Siege. although Im not so helpful on Siege, anyone I see with young status on LS gets hooked up with anything I can offer.

T

T_Amon_from_work

If you have a good cable connection I dont think the connectivity matters so much. I live in colorado and play on Lake superior when i connect best with lake austin, siege, and origin. Oh Lake Austin is based in Texas.
I play both LS and Siege. although Im not so helpful on Siege, anyone I see with young status on LS gets hooked up with anything I can offer.
Thanks for the correction ... I could have sworn that EA considers it West Coast, not Central. <shrug> Whut-evUH!!:)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Lake Austin shard hasn't been in Texas since before they moved the Austin staff to Redwood shores...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Here's the list from uo.com

North American East
Chesapeake