• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Necromancy] Need advice on Necro/Mage gear setup

R

Rentokil

Hi,
Thanks for all the help and advice in advance. I left UO just after AOS launch and recently returned.
I have spent time updating my chars, I now have a Necro/Mage, but not sure what items or gear to use.

Can anyone please give me some pointers? any help is very much appreciated.

I'll be mostly PVM, but will also be learning some PVP, I don't mind having 2 complete set of items, I understand a PVM setup might not be suitable to PVP.

My template:
120 Necro 120
120 Spirit Speaking
120 Resist
120 Magery
120 Eval
120 Meditation

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
The suit you build will largely depend on your available resources. At minimum, you want 100 lrc, 40 lmc, 2/6 (fc/fcr), and 5+ mr (preferably 10-12). Here are a couple of simple/standard options, one suited for PvM, one suited for PvP.

Less Expensive, PvM Suit
Arties: kasa of the ra'jin, pendant of the maji, rune beetle carapace, stitcher's mittens (if elf), totem of the void, scrapper's compendium, vesper chaos replica.

Custom: sleeves, legs, gloves (if human), jewels to bring you to 2/6, 40 lmc, 100 lrc, and 60s resists.

More Expensive, PvP Suit

Arties: folded steel reading glasses, armor of fortune, inquisitor's resolution, ornament of the magician, crystalline ring, quiver of infinity, totem of the void (or alchemy tally, if you have enough lmc), crimson cincture.

Custom: neck, legs, arms

Mage weapon, option 1: -25 or lower mage weapon, no casting penalty, fast weapon speed, with dci, di and possibly hit spell. This leaves a hand open to chug pots.

Mage weapon, option 2: by wearing an arcane shield (+1 fc, 15 dci), you can compensate for a -1 fc mage weapon. Thus, you should be able to find a nice, fast -20 mage weapon with di, hml, and a hit spell. Can't chug pots with this build, but it's probably 20+ mil cheaper. (-20, no -fc, with di, dci, and hit spell are very expensive).

R

Rentokil

Thanks for the quick response, very much appreciated, it is exactly advice I want/need.

Another question, for the pvp suit's custom neck, legs and arms, what attributes is most important and what would you personally have? I'll need to find someone to craft them, but unsure of what stats I should ask for.

Are the mage weapons craftable? or are they drops from monsters?

Thanks again

Alezi

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Join factions.

Get faction Ornament, Crimson, Heart of The Lion and Folded Steel Reading Glasses. Buy Spell-Woven Britches, Use Pendant of The Magi, Treatise on Alchemy talisman and a LT. Sash replica (~50mil).

Get an imbued ring with EP25% FCR2-3 Magery +15 DCI +13-15% LMC3%. Get LRC20% MR2 Sleeves with high resists. Get LMC7% LRC20% imbued gloves with high resists.

Note: if you can't afford to spend 40mil on LT. Sash replica you can alternatively imbue +10% LRC instead of the DCI on the ring.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
As Alezi alluded to, faction gear is cheaper and has better mods on it. The downside is that, if you are killed, you will suffer 15 minutes of stat loss. Since I am in a non-faction guild and find PvM a richer source of entertainment, I choose to use the non-faction items. It all depends on how you plan to play.

For stats on the custom pieces, this depends on what artifacts you already use. My necro/mage uses the PvP suit noted above. Folded Steels, crystalline ring, orny, inquis, armor of fortune, quiver of infinity, totem of the void, crimson cincture, and cloak of death give me:

+20 magery (for mage weapon)
+20 focus
7 hpr
3 mr
23 sdi
28 lmc
60 lrc
2/6
38 dci
+5 dex
10 hpi
27/17/35/16/46

Thus, in order to ensure that my suit met my minimum requirements, I chose a combination of arms, legs, and neck that summed to 40 lrc, 12 lmc, 6 mr, and 60s resists. My arms have 2mr, 17 lrc; legs have 2 mr, 5 lmc, 5 lrc; neck has 2 mr, 7 lmc, 18 lrc.

My no -fc mage weapon is pretty basic (i.e., it's what I could afford): wakizashi, SC, -25, 14 dci. I only really use this weapon when I need to chug pots (only really needed in PvP).

Typically, when I'm fighting lower level spawn, I wear an arcane shield, which maxes out my dci and enables me to use this mage weapon: leafblade, SC, -20, 48 hf, 60 hml, 48 hla, -1fc, 40 di.

When I'm fighting peerless/champs (i.e., high-level targets, where I'm chiefly concerned about damage output over dci), I use a 30 sdi invasion spellbook.

Lastly, when I stone off 120 resist for 120 spellweaving, I use a scrappers to bring my fc/fcr to 4/6.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now, that said, I suited this toon prior to the introduction of imbuing. Thanks to imbuing, I could probably get my hands on some better mage weapons at fairly low prices. This is another thing to consider when building the suit.

R

Rentokil

Thank you both for the in depth information, I will take the advice given and build my suit accordingly.
At this moment I won't be joining factions, really need to learn some PVP first and I will spend alot of my time PVM-ing to pay for this suit.

I have a ABC Archer, Sampire and stealth Archer which I need to gear up also, but I will post in warrior section. I really do love building chars, only problem for me is knowing what to get and you guys have really helped me loads.