• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[General] Need advice about making good weapons for the Devourer of Souls spawn

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am training a Paladin with swordsmanship and I wanted to train him at the Abyss Devourer of souls spawn.

This means, I would be needing Demon slayer weapons. I would prefer, for the first levels of the spawn, fast and with ability to whirlwind (for more skill checks) and one handed should I need to drink potions.
For the actual Boss, the Devourer of Souls perhaps a one handed swords weapon that has Armor Ignore as special would be preferable ?

Now, the spawn involves :

Daemons
Resistances : Physical 45-60, Fire 50-60, Cold 30-40, Poison 20-30, Energy 30-40

Here, I would guess that a Demon slayer 100% Poison would do the most damage, is that so?

Pit Fiends
Resistances : Physical 65%, Fire 10%, Cold 69%, Poison 24%, Energy 38%

Here, I assume that a Demon slayer 100% Fire would be the top choice but I wonder, would the 100% Poison from the level 1 Demon spawn still work well enough ? Or would it definately be better to have a 100% Fire for level 2 ?

Devorer of Souls
Resistances : Physical 49-51%, Fire 25-32%, Cold 18-20%, Poison 68%, Energy 46-47%

Here, it looks like that a 100% Cold weapon would be the best option, being the Boss of the mini-spawn, would it be perhaps better a one-handed weapon that can do Armor Ignore as special ?

So, in the end, what would be the best weapons I should be getting ? What other modifiers should be on them ? My plan is to make a Bushido Paladin with this template (for now I am still training Healing and Anatomy on him but I will soulstone them when done with training, to work on Bushido...) so, I would guess that having also HLL 100% would be preferable to keep the weapons for later on and not waste the resources and charges for reforging...

Start with reforging (what mods and to what levels ?) and then use powder of fortification and then imbue them?

Thanks for the help !

Last edited:

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use demon slayers. HML, HSL, DI, Slayer. There is another mod but I can't remember what!

Radiant Scimitars for the whirlwind area attack for the spawn

Then a longsword or bladed staff for the boss. These weapons both have AI.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use demon slayers. HML, HSL, DI, Slayer. There is another mod but I can't remember what!

Radiant Scimitars for the whirlwind area attack for the spawn

Then a longsword or bladed staff for the boss. These weapons both have AI.

Thanks for the advice. Are you using 100% Poison/Fire/Cold weapons for the 3 levels ?

No Hit Life Leech 100% ?
I am planning to make this template a Bushido Paladin and it seems that HLL 100% is a must for them...
In such a case, among the modifiers which you indicated Hit Mana Leech, Hit Stamina Leech, Damage Increase which is less important that could be changed with Hit Life Leech 100% ?
Or can I have 5 modifiers on a weapon (with the Demon slayer) with HLL at max 100% and the others how much high ?

Also, up to what figures did you reforge/imbue the modifiers you indicate ?
How exactly should I start, crafting with a Blacksmith a regular weapon with normal hammer (no runic) and normal iron ingots (no colored ore) ? Exceptional weapon or non-exceptional ?

Then, of the swords made I pick those with the mods wanted and reforge them to raise the related CAPs ?

After that is done, use powder of fortification to have durability to 255 and then proceed to imbue to add values to the wanted modifiers ?

Is that how I should proceed ?

Thanks !

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi popps.

My char (sampire) is fully trained so I don't really have much of an issue with this spawn.

My weapons are nothing special at all really. Just make sure your rocking a demon slayer! When Atlantic is back online I can check out exactly what I'm using for my weapon.

As for reforging I've started to use bladed staffs myself. I was using longswords before but when I get hit and my stamina starts to drop the speed slows down quite a bit.

On my new bladed staffs I reforge 100 HML or HLL (depending on what im making) then imbue the other mods. As the bladed staff is a 2 hander you get more imbuing room so can max out all the other mods.

The steps for reforging (weapons) is as follows:

1. Craft a plain metal weapon from normal ingots.
  2. Reforge with the hammer to get the mods you require (100% HLL for example)
  3. Apply powder of fort to 255/255
  4. Imbue the rest of the mods.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi popps.

My char (sampire) is fully trained so I don't really have much of an issue with this spawn.

My weapons are nothing special at all really. Just make sure your rocking a demon slayer! When Atlantic is back online I can check out exactly what I'm using for my weapon.

As for reforging I've started to use bladed staffs myself. I was using longswords before but when I get hit and my stamina starts to drop the speed slows down quite a bit.

On my new bladed staffs I reforge 100 HML or HLL (depending on what im making) then imbue the other mods. As the bladed staff is a 2 hander you get more imbuing room so can max out all the other mods.

The steps for reforging (weapons) is as follows:

1. Craft a plain metal weapon from normal ingots.
  2. Reforge with the hammer to get the mods you require (100% HLL for example)
  3. Apply powder of fort to 255/255
  4. Imbue the rest of the mods.
Thanks again, can I then reforge for 100% HLL and also 100% HML plus the Demon Slayer plus the DI (how much should be ok ?) and also the HSL (how much should be ok) or I only need to reforge for those mods which I will need to overcap like HLL and HML in case I want both at 100% ?

And if I reforge them both at 100% (assuming it is possible), would I then be able to also imbue the Demon Slayer plus a decent DI and a decent HSL or I would not be able to ?

I tried using an imbuing calculator (an old one though which sets the CAP for HLL and HML to 75 and is not modifiable to 100...) and for a Radiant Scimitar with this set up :

HLL 100%, HML 100%, Demon Slayer, DI 30%, HSL 50%, Cold Damage 100% it gives me an imbuing weight of 584.

Is it a weapon that is craftable ?

Last edited:

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All you need is a Daemon slayer with normal mods for this spawn. I do this spawn all of the time with a normal Paladin using a Broadsword with 55 HML. If your goal is to train, there are better ways than doing this Mini Champ depending on your skill level. Training skills have been well documented in these Forums.

Katrena

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
How much SSI do you have without weapon?
The best weapon is a Double Axe (Demon Slayer, 100 HLL, 81 HML, 50 HSL, 50 DI) but you need 20 SSI on your suit (35 with DF).
Don't worry about elemental damage - just use CW.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
I have just tested - it takes 10 seconds to kill Devourer. Against other monsters I used WW. My character has 90 Bushido and 0 Parrying. I didn't used 120 Archery and 120 Healing.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When working out what mods you can fit on a weapon I use this: http://www.knuckleheads.dk/tools/imbuing?itemtype=weapon
Thanks for the link, I went there and tried to calculate those modifiers for a radiant scimitar but for HLL and HML it does not allow me to set 100%, it stops at 62 as max and I cannot set a higher value.

How can I calculate the imbuing value if I do not set first HLL and HML both to 100% ?

Thanks.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All you need is a Daemon slayer with normal mods for this spawn. I do this spawn all of the time with a normal Paladin using a Broadsword with 55 HML. If your goal is to train, there are better ways than doing this Mini Champ depending on your skill level. Training skills have been well documented in these Forums.

Katrena
Well, I want to train but I can also enjoy some nice loot bonus on a side....
So, if I have to spend reforging charges and imbuing ingredients then I imagined to make weapons that I can keep on using also afterwards...

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How much SSI do you have without weapon?
The best weapon is a Double Axe (Demon Slayer, 100 HLL, 81 HML, 50 HSL, 50 DI) but you need 20 SSI on your suit (35 with DF).
Don't worry about elemental damage - just use CW.
Since the double axe is a 2-handed weapon, without the shield my current suit has DI 42, SSI 10, DCI 13, HCI 13, LMC 8. I have currently no FC and no FCR on the suit.
I have still to cover the back, apron, robe and sash slots as I got nothing there so I have room for something extra that might use those slots.

I checked with an imbuing calculator and the double axe seems to have a weight of 600.
It seems that Demon Slayer, 100 HLL, 97 HML, 50 HSL, 50 DI add up to a weight of 598 so it "looks" possible, but then, why did you stop at 81 HML ?

Also, since I would need to "overcap" 2 properties, HLL and HML, what runic would I want to use, for how many charges and selecting what options ?

Furthermore, would enhancing with a Forged Metal of Artifacts be able to help increasing the imbuing weight and thus making it possible to imbue better modifiers ? How ?

Also, according to http://www.uoguide.com/Swing_Speed in order to be able to swing a double axe at max 1.25 seconds per swing I would need 150 stamina (how much dexterity that equals to ?) and SSI 50% or, as an alternative if it is possible to have SSI at the CAP of 60%, to have Stamina 120.
Why did you then suggest 20 SSI (35 SSI for Dark Father) which, with a Stamina of 120 will allow to swing a double axe at a speed of 1.75 seconds per swing ? Is it perhaps because HSL will "make it up" for the lack of SSI?

Just as an example for sake of comparison, a one handed Radiant Scimitar to swing at max 1.25 seconds per swing would need with a Stamina of 120 only a bonus of SSI 10%.
This means that the for same max speed and 120 Stamina, the 2-handed double axe would need SSI 60% while the one-handed Radiant Scimitar SSI 10%.
That's a SSI 50% difference.....

But in the end, combat (and leech) wise, which of the 2 weapons would bring home the best results ?

I am concerned in relying too much on Stamina for the weapon swing time because monsters curse and debuff a whole lot and usually stamina for the most part of a fight drops considerably. I wonder if Hit Stamina Leech can counter sufficiently all of the curses and debuffs so that one can rely on HSL to counter a SSI that is quite lower than the 60% possible CAP.

Is it better to have higher SSI + lower Damage Increase or higher Damage Increase + lower SSI in order to land, at the end of the story the most damage per unit of time and so leech back as much Life/Mana/Stamina as possible which is the end result that is wanted ?

Bottom line is, considering that a 2-handed weapon has higher imbuing weight BUT takes away the ability to use the shield which could carry modifiers for another 450 imbuing weight that add up to those of the single handed weapon (totalling more modifiers, overall) which is the preferable way to go, 1 handed + shield OR 2-handed and no shield plus no ability to drink potions unequipping the shield if needed ?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Since the double axe is a 2-handed weapon, without the shield my current suit has DI 42, SSI 10, DCI 13, HCI 13, LMC 8. I have currently no FC and no FCR on the suit.
I have still to cover the back, apron, robe and sash slots as I got nothing there so I have room for something extra that might use those slots.

I checked with an imbuing calculator and the double axe seems to have a weight of 600.
It seems that Demon Slayer, 100 HLL, 97 HML, 50 HSL, 50 DI add up to a weight of 598 so it "looks" possible, but then, why did you stop at 81 HML ?

Also, since I would need to "overcap" 2 properties, HLL and HML, what runic would I want to use, for how many charges and selecting what options ?

Also, would enhancing with a Forged Metal of Artifacts be able to help increasing the imbuing weight and thus making it possible to imbue better modifiers ? How ?

Thanks for the help.

i am guessing reforge to get 100 hll probably using copper runic then imbuing rest why lower on hml

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
The total (with 81 HML) weight is 130+154+110+100+100=594

It near to impossible to overcap 2 properties. So reforge HLL and imbue HML.

Furthermore, would enhancing with a Forged Metal of Artifacts be able to help increasing the imbuing weight and thus making it possible to imbue better modifiers ? How ?
It doesn't increase your imbuing weight. But it may save you few resist points when imbuing/enhancing armor pieces.

Also, according to http://www.uoguide.com/Swing_Speed in order to be able to swing a double axe at max 1.25 seconds per swing I would need 150 stamina (how much dexterity that equals to ?) and SSI 50% or, as an alternative if it is possible to have SSI at the CAP of 60%, to have Stamina 120.
Why did you then suggest 20 SSI (35 SSI for Dark Father) which, with a Stamina of 120 will allow to swing a double axe at a speed of 1.75 seconds per swing ? Is it perhaps because HSL will "make it up" for the lack of SSI?

Check it again. For 1.25s you need 35 SSI 150 stam.
HSL doesn't affect swing speed.

I am concerned in relying too much on Stamina for the weapon swing time because monsters curse and debuff a whole lot and usually stamina for the most part of a fight drops considerably. I wonder if Hit Stamina Leech can counter sufficiently all of the curses and debuffs so that one can rely on HSL to counter a SSI that is quite lower than the 60% possible CAP.
Having more Stamina helps (160-180 when you need 150).
You can use dex potions as well.

Is it better to have higher SSI + lower Damage Increase or higher Damage Increase + lower SSI in order to land, at the end of the story the most damage per unit of time and so leech back as much Life/Mana/Stamina as possible which is the end result that is wanted ?
It's better to have both 1.25s swing speed and 100DI. It is not difficult. The first is more important.

Bottom line is, considering that a 2-handed weapon has higher imbuing weight BUT takes away the ability to use the shield which could carry modifiers for another 450 imbuing weight that add up to those of the single handed weapon (totalling more modifiers, overall) which is the preferable way to go, 1 handed + shield OR 2-handed and no shield plus no ability to drink potions unequipping the shield if needed ?
If you have Bushido than Parry becomes useless when you equip a shield.
Switching to an 1h-weapon to drink potions is as easy as equipping a shield... and even more easy because you can switch jewels (to get 50 EP) at the same time.