• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Treasure Hunting] need a little advice

Jon

Adventurer
so just getting into T hunting and I was wondering is it only worth doing level 6&7? also what have you found to be the most rewarding areas? I know Fel is one but any others? for template I am running a tamer and have done 6&7's on him but I have not yet messed with ish just too much running around also I have about 2k luck. thanks and looking forward to some advice!!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Depends on how you define "worth it".

I do all my maps - the gold, regs and gems are worth it for me (I just filled TWO HUNDRED Tinker Jewelry BODs for the artisan festival without making a serious dent in the gems I brought back from maps; similarly, I've filled a dozen Alchemy and another dozen Inscription LBODs using the regs on hand from past T-maps). I've not had to buy regs or gems for crafting for over a decade - and I've even donated some to needy players or sold them to the Luna jeweler to bring their prices down for others.

Once you get the swing of things, you can do 6-10 level 1-2 maps in the time it takes to fully loot a level 6-7, and I usually loot the junk gear into bags, and yell for people that I know are training Imbuing (or need resources) to come pick them up. A Giant Beetle trained to 5 slots is really good for a Tamer TH, as you can carry much more back in it - though you can also use a different pet for the initial guardians, then gate back, stable and get the beetle out (and return through the same gate) depending on which spawn you'll be facing. God help you if you get 5+ GD/AW/FD as your initial spawn - it once took me so long to kill them (when I had 7 of the 8 spawn as those dragon types) that the chest contents decayed before I could loot anything. They kept rebounding to the chest to where it was hard to concentrate on one, and it was a death sentence trying to fight more than 1-2 at a time.

Any level 6 or 7 is rewarding, but some maps are better than others.

Fel has a luck boost, and Pinks (Transcendence Scrolls), in addition to everything a Trammel map has. (any level)

Trammel & Fel 6 & 7 have the cold drakes & dragons (7 only) specific to them, for tamers.

Ter Mur maps at high levels are relatively easy, as long as they aren't in some hellspawn (like the raptor or spider areas).

Tokuno maps level 4 & higher are extremely tough, and half the facet areas are insane with spawn (try doing a level 6 in an area with 4-6 fast-respawning Tsuki wolves, or in the mage/beetle area). Level 1-4 (could just be 1-3) are the same spawn types as Tram/Fel - but Ogre Lords and Lich lords are a bit harder to deal with when you have things like yamandons and revenant lions breathing down your neck at the same time, that are locals not part of the map spawn.

Malas maps are relatively safe from local critters, but the spawn can be intense (especially if you get 4+ devourer guardians)

Ilshenar 6-7s can be dangerous from their own spawn, and location is everything (my 1 level 7 in Ilshenar was in the area north of the altar at the Valor champ spawn, so I had the chest spawn (had a para renegade changeling!), swarms of poisonous arachnids, and PARAGON GREATER DRAGONS (as dragons spawned naturally in the area before the champ, paragons, or GD were put into the game) to deal with - and of course arachnid and reptile are opposed slayers for taking damage).

Jon

Adventurer
Depends on how you define "worth it".

I do all my maps - the gold, regs and gems are worth it for me (I just filled TWO HUNDRED Tinker Jewelry BODs for the artisan festival without making a serious dent in the gems I brought back from maps; similarly, I've filled a dozen Alchemy and another dozen Inscription LBODs using the regs on hand from past T-maps). I've not had to buy regs or gems for crafting for over a decade - and I've even donated some to needy players or sold them to the Luna jeweler to bring their prices down for others.

Once you get the swing of things, you can do 6-10 level 1-2 maps in the time it takes to fully loot a level 6-7, and I usually loot the junk gear into bags, and yell for people that I know are training Imbuing (or need resources) to come pick them up. A Giant Beetle trained to 5 slots is really good for a Tamer TH, as you can carry much more back in it - though you can also use a different pet for the initial guardians, then gate back, stable and get the beetle out (and return through the same gate) depending on which spawn you'll be facing. God help you if you get 5+ GD/AW/FD as your initial spawn - it once took me so long to kill them (when I had 7 of the 8 spawn as those dragon types) that the chest contents decayed before I could loot anything. They kept rebounding to the chest to where it was hard to concentrate on one, and it was a death sentence trying to fight more than 1-2 at a time.

Any level 6 or 7 is rewarding, but some maps are better than others.

Fel has a luck boost, and Pinks (Transcendence Scrolls), in addition to everything a Trammel map has. (any level)

Trammel & Fel 6 & 7 have the cold drakes & dragons (7 only) specific to them, for tamers.

Ter Mur maps at high levels are relatively easy, as long as they aren't in some hellspawn (like the raptor or spider areas).

Tokuno maps level 4 & higher are extremely tough, and half the facet areas are insane with spawn (try doing a level 6 in an area with 4-6 fast-respawning Tsuki wolves, or in the mage/beetle area). Level 1-4 (could just be 1-3) are the same spawn types as Tram/Fel - but Ogre Lords and Lich lords are a bit harder to deal with when you have things like yamandons and revenant lions breathing down your neck at the same time, that are locals not part of the map spawn.

Malas maps are relatively safe from local critters, but the spawn can be intense (especially if you get 4+ devourer guardians)

Ilshenar 6-7s can be dangerous from their own spawn, and location is everything (my 1 level 7 in Ilshenar was in the area north of the altar at the Valor champ spawn, so I had the chest spawn (had a para renegade changeling!), swarms of poisonous arachnids, and PARAGON GREATER DRAGONS (as dragons spawned naturally in the area before the champ, paragons, or GD were put into the game) to deal with - and of course arachnid and reptile are opposed slayers for taking damage).
First off amazing response!!! Thank you! So I went thunter for the chance at legendary items and jewls to sell, as far as pet I have been doing them with a chiv cu as far as a beatle what should I scroll it to? Can I get by with 110s or 115s? I guess I better start looting more I do have a tinker/alchemy/imbuing toon and it won’t hurt to pad there stock a bit! (My tamer I do run two suits on him so while killing the spawn I switch to tameing 3 and run consume damage with my best suit on and allows me to throw periodic heals and invis as needed) thank you again @Basara

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
110s and 115s should be fine for the beetle, especially if you do the initial guardians with the cu.

Reactions: Jon

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
AI and Rune Corruption are the musts. Poisoning is the only magic option that's any good. Mortal strike is optional (put on the same time as AI if you do).

So, that pretty much just leaves Wrestling, Tactics, Anatomy, Resisting Spells, Parry, Focus and Med that could use Powerscrolls.

Reactions: Jon