• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Necro-mages

G

Pleawse fix Necro-mages.
Necromages are 2 classes and not one.
In pvp on all shards the pvp character are 95 percentages necromages!
After corpseskin the do 120 damage on me wiht Vas ort flam Kalvasflamm!
Necro-mages have striangel.Boodogh,Posiion,panstrike, vas ort flam,kalfas flam,paralys you over cross wtih energyfeilds,Energyvortex,copseskin,Revenant and more and more.
Why are all pvpler on all shard 95 percentages Necromages?didnt the devs ask theirselfes?Becasue both to be necro and mage you have so much spells you csn kick ebveryone wtih 120 gemade combo!

What about magic resi.Why dont we make it like pre AOS where magic resi can absorp damage from spells?

I

imported_archite666

Once again would everyone please ignore this post on the grounds that it is senceless, baseless, ignorant, lacks grammer and proper English. Thank you for your time.

B

Babble

Necro mages are pretty strong, but not sure they need to be nerfed.
Play a paladin and you should have the anti necro template.

N

Nerf-Herder

The necro mage SHOULD be an offensive power house. You were actually hitting on the real problem with them...

There is no real down side to running this offensive power house. This is because resisting spells is not really needed, AND if they do choose to run resist, they can use a spell channeling mage weapon.

I suggest making weapon skill provided by the mage weapon property 10% less effective than if you had the actual weapon skill (ex: you have 100 magery and use the Swords of Prosperity, you would only effectively have 90 weapon skill for the hit/defense chance calculation).

Furthermore, HCI and DCI properties should not at all influence any weapon skill being provided by a mage weapon. If you have 100 weapon skill because you are using SoP and you wear 25% DCI... you STILL have 100 weapon skill for the hit/defense calc.

This would leave mage weapons viable in PvM, yet make them undesirable (and pess gimpy) in high end PvP.

I have no suggestions for the resist spell skill, but there needs to be more incentive for people to take this skill.

Running an offensive powerhouse should remain a viable option, but it needs to be countered by being weak defensively.

EDIT: The only other thing I can think of would be to do what they did with Chiv Mages and cap necro casting if magery is above 65.

I don't exactly like this solution because it potentially negates some player creativity when building a unique template. Freedom is probably the main thing keeping UO alive.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Pleawse fix Necro-mages.
Necro-mages have striangel.Boodogh,Posiion,panstrike, vas ort flam,kalfas flam,paralys you over cross wtih energyfeilds,Energyvortex,copseskin,Revenant and more and more.
Why are all pvpler on all shard 95 percentages Necromages?didnt the devs ask theirselfes?Becasue both to be necro and mage you have so much spells you csn kick ebveryone wtih 120 gemade combo!

What about magic resi.Why dont we make it like pre AOS where magic resi can absorp damage from spells?

[/ QUOTE ]

Necro mages are popular but not 95% of the PvP population.
Every PvP template that doesn't suck is not just one class.
If an explo fs combo is killing you after corpse you need more fire resist. Most intelligent people stack up 75-85 fire resist on their suits.
Liek oh em gee, spell casters have spells! and liek some of em are useful!

It's funny how there are archers who can 2-3 hit kill with ease yet people would rather complain about a template that is easy to beat.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I have no suggestions for the resist spell skill, but there needs to be more incentive for people to take this skill.

[/ QUOTE ]

There isn't an incentive to use resist? How about para, mana vamp, poison, curse, and necro curses? Instead of complaining about people who choose to have another offensive skill over a defensive one how about you exploit their weakness? Once you know someone doesn't have resist it's not hard to mana vamp them.

G

What about magci Resi skill?
The skill is useless if we dont have it absorp magic spells!(take the demage from spellls).

N

Nerf-Herder

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

There isn't an incentive to use resist? How about para, mana vamp, poison, curse, and necro curses? Instead of complaining about people who choose to have another offensive skill over a defensive one how about you exploit their weakness? Once you know someone doesn't have resist it's not hard to mana vamp them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh... yeah... When exactly was the last time you actually got to cast mana vampire when you are being bombed on by a necro mage? Even if you get one off, you won't vamp ALL of a typical nec-mages mana, and with some of the suits people have they barely lose mana when dumping anyways.

MV is good against people with a relatively low mana pool and when it is pre-cast(or you aren't currently being shelled).

But seriously, I wish you the best of luck getting that spell off once you've been targeted.

I

imported_The_Dude_

You realize you can have higher then 70 fire thus negating corpse skin? Also put 50 chiv on your character which is disgusting that 50 chiv and remove curse can get rid of eveything you just stated. Strangle corpse omen. Instead of whining learn to adapt your mage.

I

imported_SUNCHICKEN

necros arent that big of a problem. Ill admit i get tired of strangle/painspike. They probably should slow down evil omen and posion strike a tad.

But id rather archers catch the nerfstick as to the necros

N

Nerf-Herder

<blockquote><hr>

necros arent that big of a problem. Ill admit i get tired of strangle/painspike. They probably should slow down evil omen and posion strike a tad.

But id rather archers catch the nerfstick as to the necros

[/ QUOTE ]

Poison strike seems pretty balanced to me; however, adding one tick to the casting time of evil omen might do the trick.

Many mages take necromancy exclusively to slip an omen in just before casting a big damage mage spell like ebolt, explode, or flamestrike.

It's the fastest casting spell in the game, maybe it should be taken down a notch. Especially if you already have high magery on the same character.

G

<blockquote><hr>

whats a boodogh?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's the area effect cast by a necro with flu...

Couldn't resist, sorry

Wenchy

G

<blockquote><hr>

whats a boodogh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its the cry I yell when I go into battle.

"BOODOGH" "BOODOGH"

It scares the other players.

I

imported_Fran Fury

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your numbers are a little off. I thought all the complaints were about the stealth archers/ tamers. If they only take up 5% of the pvp on all shards then I see no reason for a fix for them. We can end a lot of threads on the topic right now.

I don't see a reason to nerf the necromages. They have their weaknesses.

Z

Zan186

Although he can't make an English sentence, the guy does have a point. Necro is one class that is a bit over powered espeacially when combined with other skills.
Yes Chiv can minimize the pain, but that is assuming you can fit chiv on your template. Not to mention the 2/6 casting rate for a mage makes chiv less attractive.

How to address necro's in pvp?
1) Allow the mage spell "Dispel" to work like remove curse. This could be a counter to strangle and it is a 6th circle so its not like a quick spell or cheap mana wise.
2) Strangle should not be automatic in pvp. There should be a chance much like poision that the person's magic resist come into play and the spell doesnt work.
3) Corpse skin should not reduce someone's resist below 60 in pvp. The stacking Fire and Poision resist is a work around but you have to think is this what the dev team intended?
4) Stamina and Strangle Timer are rediculous. Strangle then pain spike and watch the strangle timer accelerate so a mage can't cast anything! This is definately broken!

G

My only prob with necro mages is that Evil Omen hits every single time. If you have resist you should at least have a chance to resist EO like you do with poison and paralyze. Just my opinion.

U

uomlplayer

if you get hit for 120 damage after corpse skin i sugguest you get better ressist suit....

G

Evil Omen can be a pain in the ass, i think you should be able to Resist it. Especially when my Macer with 91 Mana/110.0 Resist get's hit with a Evil Omen then a Mana Vampire, and there goes all 91 of my Mana. Plus the Evil Omen+Paralyze Combo kind of makes carrying a Dart Trapped Box mandatory for PvP, even on chars with Resist.

Necro/Mages certainly do have some powerful combos. Like on TC i cast a particularly nasty combo on myself at Brit Bank while a bunch of people were around. I had all 70's Resists and GM Resist skill, and went from 117 Health to 13 health in almost instantly, have to time the combo right where all the spells hit almost simultaneously. After that, i began seeing people on other shards start to use the combo that i devised. To be able to get that combo off in a Mage Duel though, you gotta set the person up for it, "maneuver" them into a "position" where you have enough time to cast it and not be interrupted. Slip in a Curse among some Fireballs/Magic Arrows. Then slip in a Corpse Skin among some more fast disrupt spells. Then do a large series of Disrupting spells with a Poison mixed in, while they're attempting to cure and heal is when i use the "Coup De Grace" combo to finish them off.

Strangle can be a pain in the ass to Mages too. Like when my Mage/Arcanist get's hit with it, i have to time it right, to where i run up and Para Punch the Necro right after a Strangle tick hits, then cast Gift of Renewal on myself to heal any damage the Strangle might do. Even with 4 FC, Gift of Renewal can barely be cast within the timeframe of Strangle tick damage early in the Strangle.

Z

Zan186

if only Strangle could be resisted like Poision!
If only Strangle could be dispeled by a mage!
If only Corpse Skin could be dispeled by a mage!

Nah that would actually make sense and balance pvp too much!
Not to mention it would ruin the noobs who do drive by strangles!

N

Nerf-Herder

Strangle (or any curse/debuff spell for that matter) should wear off immediately if the caster and target get more than two screens apart.

Might be entertaining to see a field duel turn into a demented game of tag.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
95% of all pvpers are necros?

This type of self-serving, gross exaggeration is why I would never waste my time trying to decipher the rest of your post/posts.

You obviously have no clue how to set up your characters to fight one specific template. Kinda sad.

A

Azmira Zalof

<blockquote><hr>

Might be entertaining to see a field duel turn into a demented game of tag.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must not pvp, cus I haven't fought anyone lately without them turning into a tag game.

Solution to necros:
1) At 60 chiv you can cast of cure, heal, remove curse with a 0% fail rate. Negates most of a necros offense almost instantly, and isn't hard to fit into a standard mage or dexxer template.

2) Get 120 resist (or close to it). Without resist, curse drops your stats immensely, allows you to be paralyzed, poisoned, and mana vamped. Plus pain spike does close to 30 damage on characters w/o resist and debuffs such as strangle and corpse skin last longer.

If you're pvping w/o resist, your problem isn't necros...it's stupidity.
**To whoever said mana vamp doesn't suck all mana, yes it does.
And if you want a quicker spell, cast mana drain.

3) Stack fire/poison. Corpse drops fire/poison by 15 at 120 resist (not sure about lower resist, cus I don't play w/o it). Stack your suit to have 75 fire/poison and VOILA! Corpse takes you down to 60, same as getting cursed.

4) To the EO FS/Ebolt/Explode combo... if people are getting 6th and 7th level spells off on you, your problem isn't necro, it's your inability to spell block. Most of defense nowadays (due to ridiculous damage output) is keeping your target from being able to cast high circle offensive spells on you.

If you see an FS come up, cast a weaken and disrupt it. This isn't rocket science people.

There is nothing imbalanced about necros, save maybe the ridiculously quick cast speed on EO. Poison strike has already been nerfed once and all other spells have an effective counter. Don't complain because you choose not to carry apples or pick up chiv.

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Pleawse fix Necro-mages.

[/ QUOTE ]

50 chiv and good karma almost negates Necro, so once they fix Chiv and its imbalances, then I am all for Necro Mages getting a rework, not before.

Besides if you make yourself a good suit resist wise you can easily counter corpse skin as others have said.

If I can kill someone on my necro with corpse, exp/fs pain spike, its not Necro's being OP, its my opponent being underpowered/inexperienced. Put your suit aside, if you sit there watching someone casting that combo and give them the time to get it off/stay on their screen, your asking to die. Just like if you stand there taking hits from a dexer and do nothing, your gonna die.

I

imported_shonsu

Perhaps a new keyboard with working spacebar would be a step in the right direction...

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Perhaps a new keyboard with working spacebar would be a step in the right direction...

[/ QUOTE ]

??

G

If im going to make a armor suit wtih 85 fire resi becasue of necros
the point is then i cant forget dci or hci!!!and im not real tank anyome.
I prefer to play with 40 focus then with 40 chiv.Im playing real tank and not hybrid.

I

imported_Anakena

<blockquote><hr>

Once again would everyone please ignore this post on the grounds that it is senceless, baseless, ignorant, lacks grammer and proper English. Thank you for your time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is spelled "grammar".

I

imported_ElRay

<blockquote><hr>

If im going to make a armor suit wtih 85 fire resi becasue of necros
the point is then i cant forget dci or hci!!!and im not real tank anyome.
I prefer to play with 40 focus then with 40 chiv.Im playing real tank and not hybrid.

[/ QUOTE ]

you only need 75 fire and poison resist not 85....with the new runic changes it should not be that hard to get 6x/75/6x/75/70 resists with lmc/mr and also to incorporate 30+ hci or dci

that and the fact that apples/talismans/50 chiv removes all necro curses
It sounds like you need to adjust your game plan against necros

G

Got lots of them on eu. mage wep and crystline ring... kinda lame!

I

imported_Sarphus

<blockquote><hr>

Once again would everyone please ignore this post on the grounds that it is senceless, baseless, ignorant,

[/ QUOTE ]

Like your posts about how we should nerf pets instead of broken game mechanics?

touche

I

imported_Sarphus

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Pleawse fix Necro-mages.

[/ QUOTE ]

Necro mages are popular but not 95% of the PvP population.
Every PvP template that doesn't suck is not just one class.
If an explo fs combo is killing you after corpse you need more fire resist. Most intelligent people stack up 75-85 fire resist on their suits.
Liek oh em gee, spell casters have spells! and liek some of em are useful!

It's funny how there are archers who can 2-3 hit kill with ease yet people would rather complain about a template that is easy to beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree...
click n' stick is a sizeable portion of the population too. I'm not even sure 95% of pvp necros are necro/mages lol

G

I have a feeling that Necromancy is used in a completely different way then it was originally intended. I think it was supposed to be a warrior skill, not a mage skill. This is evidenced by being able to cast Necromancy spells while holding a non-Spell Channeling weapon. Further proof is in Curse Weapon spell.

But since day one of Age of Shadows players realized it works much better combined with Magery, something that was probably not balance tested at all. This has led to nerf after nerf of Necromancy spells, which would be properly balanced if it was used by warriors who healed using Spirit Speak. But the power of Greater Heal and other Magery spells makes up for all the drawbacks Necromancy is supposed to have.

C

Clx-

No one should take Caci seriously. I play(ed) on the same shard as him. Not only is he completely clueless about PvP, he's incredibly bad at it as well. I'd imagine he loses fights to miners and thinks they're overpowered as well.

I

imported_Lord GOD(GOD)

<blockquote><hr>

I have a feeling that Necromancy is used in a completely different way then it was originally intended. I think it was supposed to be a warrior skill, not a mage skill. This is evidenced by being able to cast Necromancy spells while holding a non-Spell Channeling weapon. Further proof is in Curse Weapon spell.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think thats the case. Evil omen specifies bumping poison level, doesn't infecting strike do that anyway? It also specified 'next resistable effect' on the target until recently most necro spells didn't target resist. Wraith leeches from all spells including spellweaving and for a long time so did vamp form. I've always considered necro more of a casting skill than a dexxer skill, on the basis it can be interupted unlike many of the abilities of chiv/bush/ninja.

All this of course is forgetting it was implemented with AOS, how it was intended to be used probably didn't even come in to it.

G

CIX donjt insult me!
Everyone who knows me i dont have a red character and im helping youngs with armor and advise.
What about you?
If enchantedaples and evation spell has a timer why not then Boodgoh and striangel and reventant and copseskin.

G

This is from the original Age of Shadows website:
<blockquote><hr>

Both mages and warriors will be enticed by this wicked school of spellcraft when they discover they can wield powerful weapons without disrupting their evil spells.

[/ QUOTE ]
That pretty much cinches it that Necromancy was intended to be mostly for warriors. But virtually every Necromancer is a mage. Obviously something went wrong with the balancing.

When you think about it, people were complaining about how Mages had a vast arsenal of spells while warriors were all point and click. Why would they add in something to boost Mages which didn't need it? Both nes classes were supposed to be warrior focused but have been adapted by players to make Mages even better. The Chivalry unbalance was fixed by capped Faster Casting at 2, but nothing has been done on the Necromancy side.

Yenji Yasagari

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Any halfway decent DP dexxer can take out a necro mage with ease. And if the mage has no magic resist. Then any self respecting MAGE can take out the necro mage with a paralyze explosion dump. Theres no SUPER hybrid template out there that can fit necro SS eval med mage parry magic resist. And if it does, its failing flamestrikes and hardly hitting GOOD enough damage. 6x 120 is good, but definitely not unbeatable. But it has a wide variety of killing tactics, and CAN kill MANY templates. Just because YOUR template cannot kill MY template does not mean its overpowered. Theres a million counters to necro. Use them.

Counters: Boxes, Apples, Potions, Remove Curse, Evasion. Pick one and stick with it.

I

imported_Lord GOD(GOD)

Um, or if you highlight this bit as well...

<blockquote><hr>

Both mages and warriors will be enticed by this wicked school of spellcraft when they discover they can wield powerful weapons without disrupting their evil spells.

[/ QUOTE ]

Little to no thought probably went in to how balanced the game would be years after AOS and speculating on it now would be an exercise in futility.

Also that whole quote sounds like it refers more to spell channel weapons than anything else.

I

imported_SUNCHICKEN

<blockquote><hr>

Theres no SUPER hybrid template out there that can fit necro SS eval med mage parry magic resist.<blockquote><hr>

Havent done it with parry, but i have made a necro scribe wrestle magewith med and resist

G

Necromancy has always been viewed as the "Darker" side of Magery. In the very game that created the "Class" systems, D&amp;D, a Necromancer is a sub-class of the Mage.

It's possible for a Necro/Mage to be both Offensive and Defensive. Without equipment, mine has GM Magery/110.0 Eval/GM Med/GM Necro/110.0 SS/GM Wrest/GM Resist. With equipment he has 110.0 Magery/110.0 Eval/GM Med/110.0 Necro/110.0 SS/GM Wrest/GM Resist. Would be 115.0 Magery/120.0 Eval/113.0 Necro if i had the Powerscrolls for it.

G

"Evil omen specifies bumping poison level, doesn't infecting strike do that anyway?"

But when Infectious Strike was introduced with AoS (Along with the other specials and Necromancy/Chivalry), anyone who had the wep skill could do DP with a DPed Wep. Then they later changed it making it to where it takes Poisoning Skill to do above Lesser Poison, which basically killed the Poisoner's income. You used to be able to sell DPed Krysses, or even have someone pay you to DP their' wep. Now if they can do DP with the Wep, they can certainly DP it themselves.

Kinda like how they killed the market for Necro Scrolls by making them scribeable by Scribes who don't even have Necro. Used to be able to make a good profit by selling Full Necro Spellbooks when AoS came out. Practically noone knew where to get the Vampiric Embrace Scroll (which only came from one monster in the game, Meer Eternals) so they alone sold for 200k+.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your numbers are a little off.

[/ QUOTE ]

A little off is like saying the Grand Canyon is a small hole

I play in a PvP guild on three separate shards... I've got probably 10 PvP chars of which 1 is a necro mage. My guild fields maybe 20-40% necros when needed. Otherwise our templates are all over the place... PvP tamers, dismount archers, nox mages, plain tamers, etc.

Other guilds play a lot of PvP tamers and dexers of various sorts along with necro warriors. I'd say their necro numbers average out what my guild does. Although they are usually heavier on dexers.

I

imported_revenant2

It's clear that something's not worked out right in the game-wide balance of things regarding necromancy + magery. I had some stuff about it in another thread.

The spawn teams of the succesful guilds in Fel that I have seen are generally comprised of necro-mages, nox-mages, maybe some wrestle-mages, one or two dismount archers (which is a specialized operation, not like you're getting to really use your archer well), and an occasional, token nox dexer. There's your lineup.

There are guilds that won't take you unless you can field a 'red mage'.

There's complicated reasons for it. One of them is that the interaction between mage spells and necro spells can be really very powerful, and not just in an individual but, you take a team comprised of pure mages and necromages and you have a really powerful offensive team. Inescapable insta-death to the target that is unlike what any other team could pull off, in some cases.

Another is that mage fields are so important to spawn defense and there's no equivalent for them provided within any other class.

Another is that other classes can't crossheal properly.

Another is that Holy Light's differences from Wither don't work out well. Yes you can run spamming holy light whereas wither stops you in place, and yes that's interesting, but wither does significantly more damage and that increased damage outweighs the mobility factor in the most important applications (which are choke points and pushing into enemy fields). Holy light comes off more like an annoying although sometimes effective nuisance that's used by renegade PK chiv melee dexers. You don't see spawners doing it.

High-level Chivalry is crap. You can wipe your ass with 120 chivalry scrolls. 105 - 120 necro is decent, though.

You put it all together and... yeah.

I don't think there's anything in the house that does what a group of 3+ mage+necro chars can do, just all around in everything plus in offensive combat.

On a different topic somewhat:

Necromancy is thematically linked to "evil" and bad karma, and is to a small extent affected by maintaining bad karma. Chivalry is linked to "good" and is greatly affected by having good karma. Both skillsets are offered to reds and blues, but reds are not allowed to go above neutral karma because red supposedly means that you're an evil PKer (murderer) and that's a thematically nasty thing to be.

It may look nice on paper and in the storybook you read to your kids before bed but, for PVP balance considerations it's not quite right.

Some chars are red through exclusively spawn defense related activities and not raw player killing. Here in 2008, the game tells us to get a group of blues together and 'protect' spawns, but then you have a group of raiding blues come charging in to screw with the champ.

In the storybook thing, everybody would get along and the blue 'raiders' would just get protected by the original protector and nobody would fight, right? Well, not in Fel. Nobody operates that way that I've ever seen. In the real world, people defend 'their' spawn, and those defenders will take counts and be red, one way or the other. It's just how it goes.

In this environment, punishing chivalry-using reds from within their templates for being... red.. is not quite right. In the current situation, reds who run chiv go out to deliberately work their karma PVM to deal with it, and that's not so horrible I guess, I'm not lazy. But even then, being forced to stop at the halfway point is ********.

I wouldn't complain if they either allowed red chars to put their karma all the way up or removed the karma link entirely. Not that it would be some sort of sole fix for all the weirdness involving chiv/necro imbalance but it would be one thing resolved.