• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Necro mage?

D

Demoquin84

I am currently attempting a necro mage. But i have about 100 pts to spare (as i dont have any PS other than necro 110)

Currently i have

Human
STR 90 DEX 10 INT 125 (137 items)

Magery 100
Eval 100
Necro 100+
Spirit 100
Resist 70 and rising
Meditation 100
Focus 100 and lower when i hit cap

I was thinking of doing either Poisoning, Inscription, or Spell Weave.

This is my first ACTUAL Mage that uses spells to hurt things so some advice would be nice. And maybe some gaming tips and what spells to macro.

Thank you all

ALSO

Is there a chart for Animate Dead? I know there was one years ago but i cant find it

G

Gelf

well SW would be my choice, although u could drop eval or med for mysticism
as well. Would need more info on what u plan on doing with char(pure pvm, pvp,spawner, mix ect) for more specific advise. as far as animate dead i believe 100/100 necro/ss maxes u out on what u can get.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Necro/Mage/Weaver

Just some random thoughts/suggestions . . .

The necro/mage/weaver is among the highest damaging templates in PvM. This template combines the versatility of the mage, the powerful offensive/deffensive spells of a spellweaver, and the AOE spells and forms of a necromancer.

Skills

Magery - Your skill in magery determines your likelihood to cast magery spells successfully. Your skill level also affects the amount of hit points healed with magery spells.

Evaluating Intelligence - Your skill in eval determines the amount of damage your magery spells will do. (Note: this is true of every spell except for mind blast, which instead relies on your magery skill level and intelligence to deal damage).

Meditation - This skill causes you to regenerate mana more quickly.

Necromancy - In addition to two area of effect spells (wither and poison strike), necromancy allows the ability to summon creatures that do not require follower slots (animate dead). Moreover, the necromancy spell "evil omen" will enhance the effect of your next spell, allowing a mage with no poisoning ability to cast greater poison (as opposed to lesser poison). Most importantly, necromancy allows for the use of various forums - for example, wraith form, which allows you to leech mana based upon the amount of damage you deal.

Spirit Speak - In addition to providing you with a mana-free method for healing, spirit speak determines how much damage your necromancy spells will do.

Spellweaving - Spellweaving can be a powerful asset to any template, both in terms of damage and survivability. The Word of Death spell is the most powerful spell in the game: with a level 6 focus and spell damage increasing items, this spell can potentially deal 666 points of damage each time it is used. Spellweaving also provides more independence through greater survivability with spells such as gift of life, which allows you to self-resurrect, gift of renewal, which regenerates your health, and attunement, which absorbs a portion of the damage you take.

Templates

Standard Necro/Mage/Weaver
120 Magery
120 Meditation
120 Evaluating Intelligence
120 Necromancy
120 Spirit Speak
120 Spellweaving

Cost- or Skill-Effective Necro/Mage/Weaver
120 Meditation
120 Evaluating Intelligence
120 Spirit Speak
115 Magery
115 Spellweaving
105 Necromancy
25 [Whatever Skill You'd Like - perhaps focus for extra mana]

Stats

Dexterity - Dexterity is the least important of your stats. I like to set my dexterity to 20, but you are safe going as low as 10.

Strength - Personally, I like to have as much strength and hit point increasing items to bring me close to 120 hit points (usually around 110 strength for me). However, if you cannot afford a stat scroll, you can go lower.

Intelligence - Intelligence determines your mana pool, making it the most important stat for this template. I would recommend bringing it to 125 or higher (with items).

Suit

Ideally, you want your suit to have 100 lower reagent cost, 40 lower mana cost, 6+ mana regeneration, 4/6 casting, 45 defense chance increase, +20 magery skill in order to use a mage weapon, and 60s resists. Unfortunately, this suit can be expensive to craft.

A more cost-effective suit should focus on the bare essentials, including 100 lrc, 40 lmc, 2/6, and 6+ mr.

Expensive Suit Example

Artifacts - Folded Steel Reading Glasses, Armor of Fortune, Inquisitor's Resolution, Crystalline Ring, Ornament of the Magician, Quiver of Infinity, Arcane Shield, Cloak of Death, Crimson Cincture, Scrapper's Compendium

Runic/Imbued Items - Gorget, arms, legs, -20 mage weapon

Less Expensive Suit Example

Artifacts - Kasa of the Ra-jin, Pendant of the Magi, Rune Beetle Carapace, Stitcher's Mittens (elves only), Chaos Museum of Vesper Shield, Scrapper's Compendium

Runic/Imbued Items - Arms, legs

Custom Jewelry - Ring and Bracelet that add to 2 faster casting and 3 faster cast recovery

Tactics

With low level spawn, use wraith form and wither.

For peerless/champs, use wraith form when possible and cast spell combinations. Here's an example of a spell combo I use:

Corpse Skin (makes your enemy more vulnerable to fire and poison damage), explosion, flamestrike, flamestrike, etc.

When the champ/peerless's hit points drop below 1/3rd of their original value, remove your mage weapon, equip your scapper's, and cast Word of Death repeatedly. Thanks to the mana you leech through wraith form, you can cast Word of Death indefinitely.

Macros

Everyone should adjust their macros according to their individual needs and playstyle. However, in case anyone needs a baseline recommendation, here's what I use:

F1 - Heal
F2 – Greater Heal
F3 - Cure
F4 - Invisibility
F5 - Fireball
F6 - Lightning
F7 - Mind Blast
F8 - Energy Bolt
F9 - Explosion
F10 - Flame Strike
F11 - Earthquake
F12 - Poison
Shift + F3 - Arch Cure

` - Spirit Speak
1 - Energy Vortex
2 - Mass Dispel
3 -
4 - Wither
5 - Poison Strike
6 - Pain Spike
7 - Strangle
8 - Corpse Skin
9 - Evil Omen
0 - Blood Oath

Mouse Wheel Up - Target Last
Mouse Wheel Down - Target Self

I also have a number of spells on my desktop:

R

ReaperNI

my necro template
120mage
120 eval
120 ss
120 med
120 resist
105 necro

before i had cash
115 instead of 120s

TYR

D

Demoquin84

Thank you Syrus. You have been more than helpful. All i need now is a suit to put together.

A

A Rev

Just to let you know, as far as i know and i could be wrong...it has happened before, once!

Animate dead is not based on your skill.

It is solely based on the fame/type of creature.

For example, all repond types give an undead type [ranging from bone warrior to lich lord] the higher the fame the stronger the animate.

All arachnids give mound of maggots...which are gay! This includes the mephistas boss.

Generally speaking, mid-high level reponds or drakes are best to animate as they give lich's.

D

Demoquin84

it is relying on both fame/karma and necro/ spirit speak. There was a chart a long time ago.

Bombastic Fail

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Re: Necro/Mage/Weaver

F1 - Heal
F2 – Greater Heal
F3 - Cure
F4 - Invisibility
F5 - Fireball
F6 - Lightning
F7 - Mind Blast
F8 - Energy Bolt
F9 - Explosion
F10 - Flame Strike
F11 - Earthquake
F12 - Poison
Shift + F3 - Arch Cure

` - Spirit Speak
1 - Energy Vortex
2 - Mass Dispel
3 -
4 - Wither
5 - Poison Strike
6 - Pain Spike
7 - Strangle
8 - Corpse Skin
9 - Evil Omen
0 - Blood Oath

Mouse Wheel Up - Target Last
Mouse Wheel Down - Target Self
/taylorsmith/magnus_desktop.jpg[/IMG]

Wow. Although I use mainly a spellweaver/mystic mage now; your button set-up is EXTREMELY close to mine when I was running a necro mage. That is pretty wild. A few spells flip-flopped in places, but really, wow. I was going "WTF I didnt post my macros!". :p

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Well, I guess minds think alike. :p

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to let you know, as far as i know and i could be wrong...it has happened before, once!

Animate dead is not based on your skill.

It is solely based on the fame/type of creature.

For example, all repond types give an undead type [ranging from bone warrior to lich lord] the higher the fame the stronger the animate.

All arachnids give mound of maggots...which are gay! This includes the mephistas boss.

Generally speaking, mid-high level reponds or drakes are best to animate as they give lich's.

No Rev, Skill also effects this. I noticed this when doing spawns with other necro's. More skill helps bump up the type of animate.

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Wow. Although I use mainly a spellweaver/mystic mage now; your button set-up is EXTREMELY close to mine when I was running a necro mage. That is pretty wild. A few spells flip-flopped in places, but really, wow. I was going "WTF I didnt post my macros!". :p
I tend to roll combos close together such as

F5 corps skin
F6 Explosion
F7 Flamestrike
F8 Pain Spike

I also like setting a few keys with current target/ Cast spell. Seems to speed up combos. So first you have a starter spell then use the current target/spell key. So double flamestrikes can be fairly quick or whatever you assign.

O

omgmir

This post has been VERY helpful to me, especially Syrus' post. I started playing UO again yesterday after 6 years, and this was the first template I wanted to make as soon as I saw it.

I have a few questions pertaining to training and generally learning how to play it. Since this is my first char in 6 years i'm learning not just this template but the game as I go. I had a little over 2 mil gold on my account from when I used to play, so even though I plan on never touching any of my old outdated chars I did take the gold for to buy a basic LRC suit with.

Now i'm training in Luna with the suit, but I feel I should be training on monsters hunting something anything. I don't want to just sit in town and hit GM on my skills and then have no clue how to play my mage in the field.

Could anyone recommend good places to hunt around as I train up my char to 115+ on skills? Like place A is good until at least GM magery or so and then can move to place B etc, preferably places I can make some decent gold to start building a set with. All the advice I see about this pertains to where you should go once your char is maxed. I was looking up prices on finduo.com for some of the stuff Syrus listed and even the cheap stuff I would only be able to afford an item or two and be broke afterwards. :O So far I have a 100% meddable LRC suit with 60s resists, and I bought a few different cheap slayer spellbooks just to keep handy.

Also which skills would be most important to buy power scrolls for first?

Any advice would be mucho appreciated, ty.

C

Capt.E

The spider area in dreadhorn key area is nice for gold. You need around 110 magery. Lure all changlings and one spider away, then ev. Viola, easy gold. Despise, even though nothing really drops that much gold. I really lime covetous as well. The great thing about covetous is that it has all types of rooms that have varied degrees of difficulty. Deceit is fun too. You can get an undead slayer book from the inscription quest in new haven. Start a toon with 49 inscribe, get quest, go to 50, undead slayer. It will come in handy.

Collecting bones in doom is also fun.

There are some random spots in ilsh that I frequent when training a new character also. Near honesty gate and across nearest bridge, in the back is a cave with reponds in it.

Sometimes I will do spawns, even though I will more than likely get raided and die, sot scrolls sell like hotcakes.

I would try to get 115 magery at least.

Then 120 eval
120 spirit
120 magery
120 resist

O

omgmir

Well if I need 110 magery before I can hunt anything to make some gold then i'm screwed, cause I can't afford the powerscroll to begin with =P

C

Cloak&Dagger

Well if I need 110 magery before I can hunt anything to make some gold then i'm screwed, cause I can't afford the powerscroll to begin with =P
I can not really give you area's to train in, since I am sort of...weird, I suppose, by most older player standards. :p personally I would just hunt around in any normal dungeon, assuming you can at least cast blade spirits, they can tank for you and you can cast. Since you are returning after 6 years, it could be safe to assume you wouldn't mind hunting in the Virtue dungeons so Shame might be nice. Granted you wont be making a ton of gold, but if you are just looking for things to do other than grind skills (which is boring) than shame is fine for the 50-70 range in skill.

The other part of your question I can help with!

Magery would be first most important scroll, try to get at least 115, Didn't notice you saying what shard you are playing on but 110 magery should be with in your spending limit as it is usually cheap, 115 is a bit more so if you don't make enough money for a 115 by the time you reach 100, then just go for the 110 till you can afford the 115, and eventually the 120.

Eval int would be the next most important, will eventually want a 120 here as well, follow the mage suggest for how to get there. Note: You may want to get this one to 120 first, as magery 115 is ample enough in pvm and doing more damage would be more important. :p

Resisting spells would be next, again you will eventually want 120.

Those three are the most expensive, after that Meditation scroll would be next most important or even Spirit Speak. Also if you are following the Weaver template you will want to get 120 in that, not sure about importance on that skill, but 120 gives you a 100 chance to succeed at Word of Death, which is a big damage spell.

O

omgmir

Cloak‡1661870 said:
I can not really give you area's to train in, since I am sort of...weird, I suppose, by most older player standards. :p personally I would just hunt around in any normal dungeon, assuming you can at least cast blade spirits, they can tank for you and you can cast. Since you are returning after 6 years, it could be safe to assume you wouldn't mind hunting in the Virtue dungeons so Shame might be nice. Granted you wont be making a ton of gold, but if you are just looking for things to do other than grind skills (which is boring) than shame is fine for the 50-70 range in skill.

The other part of your question I can help with!

Magery would be first most important scroll, try to get at least 115, Didn't notice you saying what shard you are playing on but 110 magery should be with in your spending limit as it is usually cheap, 115 is a bit more so if you don't make enough money for a 115 by the time you reach 100, then just go for the 110 till you can afford the 115, and eventually the 120.

Eval int would be the next most important, will eventually want a 120 here as well, follow the mage suggest for how to get there. Note: You may want to get this one to 120 first, as magery 115 is ample enough in pvm and doing more damage would be more important. :p

Resisting spells would be next, again you will eventually want 120.

Those three are the most expensive, after that Meditation scroll would be next most important or even Spirit Speak. Also if you are following the Weaver template you will want to get 120 in that, not sure about importance on that skill, but 120 gives you a 100 chance to succeed at Word of Death, which is a big damage spell.
Thanks for the advice!

Yeah I have no problem hunting in the old school dungons as they are all that's really left in the game that I remember! ;P In fact I was poking around in Shame and Despise last night. The problem with that, as you said is the gold I can make there is miniscule compared to the cost of things I need to buy. I am on Atlantic and finduo is showing a 115 scroll for magery going for 4m right now, 1.5m for a 110 scroll.

I should be hitting GM on everything in the next couple days, everything is 80-85+ right now with med GM just from training in Luna. So I guess what I need to find is something I can farm with EVs or just general GM skills with nothing over 100 for decent gold. I am following Syrus' template with weaving, no resist.

C

Cloak&Dagger

Thanks for the advice!

Yeah I have no problem hunting in the old school dungons as they are all that's really left in the game that I remember! ;P In fact I was poking around in Shame and Despise last night. The problem with that, as you said is the gold I can make there is miniscule compared to the cost of things I need to buy. I am on Atlantic and finduo is showing a 115 scroll for magery going for 4m right now, 1.5m for a 110 scroll.

I should be hitting GM on everything in the next couple days, everything is 80-85+ right now with med GM just from training in Luna. So I guess what I need to find is something I can farm with EVs or just general GM skills with nothing over 100 for decent gold. I am following Syrus' template with weaving, no resist.

You might be able to farm some of the ml monsters, or maybe in Tokuno. Not very sure how easy it will be with gm skills, so the payout might not be high enough. or maybe blood eles? I think they have a decent enough gold to difficulty rating.

O

omgmir

Cloak‡1665022 said:
You might be able to farm some of the ml monsters, or maybe in Tokuno. Not very sure how easy it will be with gm skills, so the payout might not be high enough. or maybe blood eles? I think they have a decent enough gold to difficulty rating.
Tokuno champ spawn is actually on my to do list as someone said the waves would be easily done just not the boss for chances of SoT.

I still haven't hit GM on anything but meditation as I sit down to train and get bored after a few minutes and go find something to kill. -_-

Someone suggested Tomb of Kings for imbuing mats and I did the quest to get in there and Aybss and farmed it for a little while, easy with EVs. I then got bored and ran around in Abyss, died to Slasher of Veils got para'd and destroyed before I realized what he was, then discovered the Goblin mini-spawn and farmed it for an hour or so. I was surprised how easy it was but for a newbie like me it's not really viable as a camp because of how far of a run it was from Tomb of Kings so no banks runs. From what I understand it's much closer to the Underworld entrance but I know nothing of that, and from what I read on uoguide it seemed as if you had to do a key quest everytime to go in from Underworld

But yeah, I want to try Tokuno.

/ramble

C

Capt.E

You don't have to do the key quest everytime. The goblins are great, and provide the resource that gives ssi. Which is a good one.

I can't believe a 10 magery costs that much!

My suggestion would be get to 100 ss and hang out at fel spawns. See who is completing spawns and talk to them. Maybe they have a 10 for cheap.

Or start a character on a less populated shard.

C

Cloak&Dagger

You only have to do the quest once to enter from there, but you should not have to do it at all if you completed the Tomb of Kings quest already. The dragon mini-champ spawn gives good gold, but its quite a bit tougher than the goblin spawn, but closer to the Tomb entrance, not sure if that would work for you. I have not been playing much as of late or else I would offer you some in game help.