• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Necromancy] necro-mage template

• Thread starter imperterritus
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imperterritus

When I originally planned the build for my necro-mage, I was under the mistaken impression that you still needed to be able to cast a spell in order to make the spell scroll using the Inscription skill. It is my understanding that this is no longer the case; you simply need the spell in your spellbook and sufficient Inscription skill to make the desired scroll. Anyways, that's the main reason I gave him Inscription:

Macro, elf
-----------
* 110: Magery
* 105: Necromancy, Resisting Spells
* 100: Eval Int, Meditate, Spirit Speak
* 100: Inscription

Now I'm thinking perhaps I should pass the Inscription skill on to a craftsman, and give Macro a defensive skill instead. My choices would be Anatomy, Wrestling, or one of the weapon skills.

Anatomy -- I haven't had a character with both GM Anatomy and Eval Int before. It seems cool to be able to have some protection and be able to see both a person's stamina and mana level.

Wrestling -- Would grant him the two special moves in addition to the protection.

melee skill -- (probably Fencing for dagger) No special moves, but the ability to use Curse Weapon if I chose to keep him in melee range.

Archery -- Again no special moves, but a continuous source of low level damage. It's sort of a 65th Magery spell, "Real Arrow" in addition to "Magic Arrow".

Both Anatomy and Wrestling would allow him to keep the Magery spellbook armed to take advantage of its bonuses.

What do you-all suggest? Another alternative (my original plan) was to keep the Inscription for its added magery damage, and arm him with a mage weapon that has a low skill penalty.

(Woah, I just tested that you could use Curse Weapon on archery weapons. So, a continous source of low level damage and an ongoing source of heals ... wow! Are all necro-mages archers?)

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Maybe . . . but you might be better served by raising your current skills to 6x120. First of all, eval and spirit speak should both be raised to 120, if possible, as they determine your unadjusted spell damage. Second, although some folks speculate that 100 resist is OK, many others say to go 120 or none at all. Third, bringing mage to 120 would give you the option of using a mage weapon, allowing you to take advantage of dci. If you've never played with 45 dci and a mage weapon, you'll be amazed at the difference.

Besides, adding 100 weapon skill is not going to help very much, unless you only plan to fight low-level mobs. In order to reliably hit champs, peerless, or other players, you'll want at least 115, if not 120.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
There are two primary necro-mage templates I use for spawning and for adventuring with other friends:

Template #1
120 Magery
120 Evaluate Intelligence
120 Necromancy
120 Spirit Speak
120 Meditation
120 Resisting spells

In my opinion, this is the premium necro-mage template. It is very costly to obtain all of the power scrolls, but with a -0 Mage weapon you effectively have a 7 x 120 necro-mage. I often run protection and carry a SDI spellbook (either scrappers or invasion) or use a slayer. I switch to the mage weapon when the reds arrive. I only have this template on my main shard.

For my cross shard necro-mages I use this:

Template #2
120 Magery
120 Evaluate Intelligence
120 Spirit Speak
100 Necromancy
100 Resisting Spells
100 Anatomy
60 Meditation

This is a very nice template for rat spawns when you are using wraith and fighting PvM. It is not optimized for PvP as the 100 resist will be quickly negated by a good PvP mage. But for magic casting mobs, it is effective. You have 120 defensive wrestle ((Eval + Anat +20) / 2). Since the 120 Magery and Eval Int scrolls are really expensive, I adjust anatomy (up to 105 with only 115 Eval) and med accordingly. I like this template almost as much as the first, because I can carry my spellbook and still get the defensive wrestle mods. It can get into trouble, however on bosses where you can't leech back enough mana to keep going (i.e. Niera). However, it works very well with a group.

I also run two other necro-mage templates that are derivatives. One is a stealth necro-mage where I modified Template #2 by removing resist, removing anatomy, and increasing med accordingly. You only need 100 hiding and 75 stealth to succeed 100% (provided you are not flagged). I like this when I am solo, but without any resist I get poisoned a lot. The second derivative is my tamer necro-mage, but he's not done yet so I will withhold further comments. Here is the post I often go back to on the necro-tamer: http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=135970. Syrus and Static went back and forth in this thread as well: http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=166856

Anyway, these are my experiences with various necro-mage templates. Of course, I only use these for PvM, and specifically Ratman spawns. Template 1 works well in Doom with a group if you are carrying Demon Slayer and Undead Slayer spellbooks. I only PvP with these templates when I have no choice (i.e. I get raided). So I would move your inscription to another character and definitely tweak your template. I hope some of these ideas help you find your way ahead.

-OBSIDIAN-

T

Thobius

Hello,

I’m wondering whether it is worth swapping my current Scribe Mage template to a Necro-Mage in order to partake in some Spawning & PvP action. My current template is:

120: Magery, Eval, Med, Wrestle, Resist
100: Inscription

The 6x Legendary Necro-Mage template is considered powerful. I really like the idea of Withering everything in sight (earthquake sucks in comparison) and I could soulstone some skills around to make a fairly decent Necro-Mage and have the following spare:

100: Spirit Speak, Necro, Anat

I don’t like the fact that I’d be dropping my ‘wrassling’ and relying on a mage weapon for defence. My other concern is that I’m broke after buying all the 120 mage / eval / med / wrestle / +25 stat scrolls for the mage and therefore can’t afford to outfit him with both a Crystalline ring & Inquisitor’s resolution to compensate for a -25 mage weapon & maintain my 2/6 casting. This would mean I’d be stuck with either a Staff of the Magi or Pyros.

The alternate is to drop resist and rely on apples / boxes / petals etc., which I also don't really like.

I suppose I'm after a little reassurance that relying on a mage weapon for defence isn't necessarily a bad thing and that the Pros of the Necro-Mage template outweigh its cons.

Cheers.

C

Capt.E

There is always the library tali +5 magery and a +15 Mage ring with a -20 sc Mage weapon. You can turn in anything at Brit turn in, barbed hides work pretty good. Imbuing has made these items so much easier to obtain.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
The wrestle/scribe/mage and the necro/mage are both classics. If played correctly, either of these templates can own in PvP. However, the necro/mage template is definitely better suited for PvM. Wraith form + wither = spawn godliness.

If you're interested in both PvP and PvM, I would encourage the change to necro/mage. Besides, if you soulstone off scribe/wrestle, you can always revert to your original template if you decide you don't like the necro/mage.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Once again, I agree with Syrus. :) I took a 5 year break in UO from 2002 to 2007. When I came back I made the standard scribe/wrestle mage. I quickly discovered the necro-mage template and converted him. I'll never go back. I have my inscription on a soulstone for when I feel like trying to make some slayer spellbooks, but from a PvM perspective, the necro-mage is great. Their only weakness is that they have no true tank element other than summons. But, the scribe-wrestle mage is in the same boat. I love mana leech in wraith form.

-OBSIDIAN-

T

Thobius

Thanks for the advice guys.

I decided to soulstone some skills around last night and although I didn't have 100 Necro as originally thought I did have it on one char at 72. Soulstoned it and then worked it for a few hours and its now at 91.

Template now looks like:
120: Mage, Eval, Med, Resist
100: Spirit Speak
91: Necro

I decided this morning (as I'm working from home) to take my Mage to the Valour spawn in Ilsh and fortunately for me it was Ratmen! :thumbup:

All I can say is WOW! Wither is totally awesome. I'd cast earthquake and attract all the spawn towards me then spam wither until everything was dead. Working by myself I managed to get 12 red candles before I had to get my armour repaired.

Now to purchase a mage weapon and work my Necro and SS to 120!