• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Naming convention

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maximus, you might want to edit your post. Ted was the Unabomber, and killed people with letter bombs. He "only" killed THREE people and injured 23 over decades of sending out bombs (Ironically, half the injuries were from SMOKE INHALATION from the one time he tried mass murder, and his bomb malfunctioned, causing a fire in the cargo hold of a plane)

You're confusing him with the Oklahoma City Bombers, Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols.

While I do agree it's bad taste, I personally find it far more offensive that you can't name a ship or pet "Constitution" because of "tit"
Or that I can't label the chest containing my glassblowing supplies or the crate 'spiced fishsteaks' or put a pets full intensity in its name if it ends with .69

I'm sure there's more :rolleyes:

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
I can see both points and don't want to give my personal view on it up for analysis. no fun right?! welllllll WHAT I WILL DO is ask that every WHITE CU named snow, snowy, snow white, and john snow be banned one week from the game for their utter lack of creativity. Although at this point I find it amusing =\

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How abt a naked new char seen at the EM Hall after an event that had a click-it to get the drop... named ‘I Did Your Mom’. Not that funny till u noticed he took the time to go tame a pig... named ‘Your Mom’. Still makes me chuckle alil.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
On a related note... when SWTOR released their “Galactic Starfighter” mini-expansion I immediately made a character named “Mike Vick” because as a subscriber you automatically got the title of “Legendary Dogfighter”

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I can see both points and don't want to give my personal view on it up for analysis. no fun right?! welllllll WHAT I WILL DO is ask that every WHITE CU named snow, snowy, snow white, and john snow be banned one week from the game for their utter lack of creativity. Although at this point I find it amusing =\
lol
I am guilty of this... but I have a full stable.
I used to have mine named Snowball, but a guild member named hers that.
So I changed it to Snow White.
By doing that, at one glance I know which one she is...
Its not lack of imagination.
Until there is a time, that there is a pic of a cu, on the list at the stable...
I imagine lot of people will be doing that.

(i do see that icon when i play in EC with Pinco's, but can't play that client for long)

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
@Cinderella I just messin around and like I said it amuses me now and yea i can totally see the confusion when have full stable just like how half ppl name them after skills on them. I get it ;) a good story would have been how you confronted your guild mate over them taking your pets name like you owned the rights to that. Then I would be rofl

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well see now I have to wonder how many other players tamed a blue Cu and named it "Blues Clues" like I did...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
And your Cu named Pinky Tuscadero , and your beetle named Beetlejuice, and the grey cu named Ghost, your dime named dimomite, etc
Nope never did that... Had a pink Hiryu... Named it Bubbles... cause it looked like bubble gum... Think I have a Hellcat named Bubble Gum because it looks like a wad of bubble gum in the EC.

Cerwin Vega

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have chars named Jugs A Poppin' and TigOl'Bitties... surprised I've never been paged on. I also have a bane dragon named Gentleman Sausage.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
It's a game, naming your character after something in real life doesn't mean you support the thing that happened in real life. The fun is in the dark humored creativity and originality of it, instead of just another random knight coming to save the day character.
Sorry, I just don't see the "fun" in that at all.
At times it is cathartic though... a few months after 9/11 I created a new char on a few of the American shards named 'Osama Bin Laden'. Made the char to look like him as well as dress like him. Had my son create some chars on same shard, killed his chars until he went red then I would hit Fel Yew gate...

*shrugs* was kind of strange seeing reds and blues unified around a common cause... :thumbup1:

*edit*
memory is failing a little I guess.. name was Bin Laden
Bin Laden.jpg

Last edited:

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
It's a game, naming your character after something in real life doesn't mean you support the thing that happened in real life. The fun is in the dark humored creativity and originality of it, instead of just another random knight coming to save the day character.

If we're going the virtue signalling path though, let's talk about the virtues of Ultima, an entire game series which is essentially a reenactment of the crusades in real life. The avatar leaves his own country and travels the new country of Britannia, forcing his religion and devoutness of following the virtues on everyone he meets, will gladly kill anything that disagrees with him (bandits, orcs, trolls, demons etc.) and gets rewarded for his enforcing of the virtue religion and killing of local undesirables by his king, Lord British, who lives in an English styled castle in a city named Britain. Clearly all of Ultima and UO is insensitive to the millions of victims who died in the English-led crusades, therefore no one should have fun from playing UO. How insensitive we all are for not seeing that.
I need to point out some errors here. Hopefully this won't be too long but it'll be the length it needs to be.

Error One: That the Crusades and the Unabomber are equivalent -- not the case, along at minimum two vectors. The Unabomber was caught decades ago -- the odds of a victim of the Unabomber being in UO are tiny but real. The Crusades ended centuries ago -- the odds of a victim (if that's the right term when we're talking about a series of wars rather than what amounts to a serial killer) of the Crusades being in UO are zero. Also the Unabomber is a person, the Crusades were a military campaign. Not the same.

Error Two: That the Crusades were an English-led thing. More French than English though in the Middle ages the boundaries were way different than in modernity. I guess you're thinking of the individual Crusades led by Richard Lion-Heart and the later one participated in by Edward Longshanks? Those Kings of England were actually of French extraction (Norman, specifically), not English (though Edward at least spoke the language habitually). And they were the exceptions anyway. Whether or not Richard's Crusade would've been such had Emperor Barbarossa survived the journey to the fight is an open question.

Error Three: That the Crusades were somehow about enforcing religion. No, they were not, at least not primarily. The Crusades and the Jihads that both countered and preceded them (depending upon one's point of view) were about territory -- religion mostly played the role of establishing why anyone cared about the territory. (Those places weren't really making anyone any cash for the most part, so it wasn't your traditional Medieval war over tax revenue. Those places were important because people cared about them.)

Error Four: Ok this one isn't quite factual but it's close....I have a super hard time imagining how anyone could see all that much influence the historical events of the Crusades had on UO's lore or aesthetics. If you want to point out what you mean I'd be curious because off-hand I just don't see it.

I could provide you with some book references about the Crusades if you're interested.

I don't really care what your opinions or views are. I have no opinion of my own on these sorts of names. (After September 11, 2001 it became bannable to have a character named "Osama Bin Laden." I had no opinion about that either.) I do care about counter-factual information being presented by a prominent person in a public forum.

And you are a prominent person, Norrington. You're on Stratics staff (I think? hard to tell these days with all these different titles). You run an auction that people I'm close to participate in. I, by contrast, am not a prominent person. I recognize that. But to my mind that means that you have an even greater responsibility to propagate accurate, rather than inaccurate, information. I would ask that you not take any anger at this post out on the people we both know.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Error Four: Ok this one isn't quite factual but it's close....I have a super hard time imagining how anyone could see all that much influence the historical events of the Crusades had on UO's lore or aesthetics. If you want to point out what you mean I'd be curious because off-hand I just don't see it.
Richard Garriott said it himself, I don't have a link to wherever it was handy, but essentially he said he designed The Avatar of the original Ultima games as a form of religious zealot who blindly stumbled forward to enforce his personal code as instructed to by "God" (Hawkwind the Time Lord, in this case) and often couldn't see past it.

You're on Stratics staff (I think? hard to tell these days with all these different titles).
Yes, I've been a moderator here for about 6 years.

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Richard Garriott said it himself, I don't have a link to wherever it was handy, but essentially he said he designed The Avatar of the original Ultima games as a form of religious zealot who blindly stumbled forward to enforce his personal code as instructed to by "God" (Hawkwind the Time Lord, in this case) and often couldn't see past it.
I couldn't find this either. The Avatar of course was a player-controlled character and, as such, his actions could vary somewhat. Either way this is different from what you said, which was to cite an influence of the Crusades (not religious zealtotry generally) in UO and to equate the Crusades and the Unabomber. Regardless of other factors I'm sure we now can agree that these statements were made in error.