• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Naming convention

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yo, I got an account banned for a naming convention. I used the name of something in game. I sent an email to the naming convention people ([email protected]) in the email that said I was banned, and have gotten zero responses. After two weeks of emails to them, I sent an email to the dispute people ([email protected]). The dispute people said they have no record of any account with that email being banned or disciplined.

My question is.......who do I contact to dispute this? Do the naming people that banned me just never check their emails?

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yo, I got an account banned for a naming convention. I used the name of something in game. I sent an email to the naming convention people ([email protected]) in the email that said I was banned, and have gotten zero responses. After two weeks of emails to them, I sent an email to the dispute people ([email protected]). The dispute people said they have no record of any account with that email being banned or disciplined.

My question is.......who do I contact to dispute this? Do the naming people that banned me just never check their emails?
You know who u gotta email, boss lady. There unbanning old accts so I'd assume she'd unban this one too. ASSuME.

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I’m curious too.... I had a character named Ted Kaczynski for a long time, ran around Fel with a hot key to chuck purple pots at folks. That made it through so.... what was it!
Well that’s abhorrent and nothing to be proud of

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My bad. I didn’t realize it was fun to name yourself after a mass murderer/domestic terrorist and then run around throwing explosion pots because he killed 168 people and injured another 680+ when bombing a building. How insensitive of me for not seeing the fun in that.

Edit: I was not correct when I posted his crimes. He killed 3 and injured 23 using mail bombs. I mistakenly thought of the Oklahoma City Bombings.

Last edited:

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My bad. I didn’t realize it was fun to name yourself after a mass murderer/domestic terrorist and then run around throwing explosion pots because he killed 168 people and injured another 680+ when bombing a building. How insensitive of me for not seeing the fun in that.
It's a game, naming your character after something in real life doesn't mean you support the thing that happened in real life. The fun is in the dark humored creativity and originality of it, instead of just another random knight coming to save the day character.

If we're going the virtue signalling path though, let's talk about the virtues of Ultima, an entire game series which is essentially a reenactment of the crusades in real life. The avatar leaves his own country and travels the new country of Britannia, forcing his religion and devoutness of following the virtues on everyone he meets, will gladly kill anything that disagrees with him (bandits, orcs, trolls, demons etc.) and gets rewarded for his enforcing of the virtue religion and killing of local undesirables by his king, Lord British, who lives in an English styled castle in a city named Britain. Clearly all of Ultima and UO is insensitive to the millions of victims who died in the English-led crusades, therefore no one should have fun from playing UO. How insensitive we all are for not seeing that.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
We forgive you for overreacting to a video game.

Dragkarah

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
It's a game, naming your character after something in real life doesn't mean you support the thing that happened in real life. The fun is in the dark humored creativity and originality of it, instead of just another random knight coming to save the day character.

If we're going the virtue signalling path though, let's talk about the virtues of Ultima, an entire game series which is essentially a reenactment of the crusades in real life. The avatar leaves his own country and travels the new country of Britannia, forcing his religion and devoutness of following the virtues on everyone he meets, will gladly kill anything that disagrees with him (bandits, orcs, trolls, demons etc.) and gets rewarded for his enforcing of the virtue religion and killing of local undesirables by his king, Lord British, who lives in an English styled castle in a city named Britain. Clearly all of Ultima and UO is insensitive to the millions of victims who died in the English-led crusades, therefore no one should have fun from playing UO. How insensitive we all are for not seeing that.
That's a really one-sided view of history.
The crusades were initially a response to Muslim aggression towards the west.

So the avatar was simply helping reclaim lands besieged and liberating the local population

Dragkarah

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Truth of the matter is history is written by the victor.

I want to know the name still.
I'm guessing Jeffrey dalhmer...

The OKC bombing is the only one in the states that I can think of that would have that body count

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Maximus, you might want to edit your post. Ted was the Unabomber, and killed people with letter bombs. He "only" killed THREE people and injured 23 over decades of sending out bombs (Ironically, half the injuries were from SMOKE INHALATION from the one time he tried mass murder, and his bomb malfunctioned, causing a fire in the cargo hold of a plane)

You're confusing him with the Oklahoma City Bombers, Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols.

While I do agree it's bad taste, I personally find it far more offensive that you can't name a ship or pet "Constitution" because of "tit"

Last edited:

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Timothy McVeigh. We are from the same area. I ran into him before. He shopped at the same comic book game store broad games and D&d I did. I remember they did a interview with the owner. Store was called house of fantasy's in Niagara falls ny. I was a kid then so dont remeber much about him other then talking to him about d&d I was just a younger teenager then.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maximus, you might want to edit your post. Ted was the Unabomber, and killed people with letter bombs. He "only" killed THREE people and injured 23 over decades of sending out bombs (Ironically, half the injuries were from SMOKE INHALATION from the one time he tried mass murder, and his bomb malfunctioned, causing a fire in the cargo hold of a plane)

You're confusing him with the Oklahoma City Bombers, Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols.

While I do agree it's bad taste, I personally find it far more offensive that you can't name a ship or pet "Constitution" because of "tit"
You're right. My mistake.

Also, free the tit! Unban it's usage!

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I bet it was captain butthole, i wanted that PBD from the GL auction a month or so ago, but got outbid.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I had A sewer rat band because pvp complained at fel idocs they said it was unfair

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And uet how many "a rat" ninjas do you see running around
They dont want to click on the name so they just see it random walking around. Most fel idocs I would never get targeted until I started looting the barrels and stealing for them.

The funny thing is now you attack te barrel they kill you. You can just wait becasue the items come to you when you rez. Last time I went to a fel idoc attacked 3 barrels with one guy died. Went in attacked 3 more barrels on a diffent account I died. Waited until they broke the barrels went to rez and recalled home with 150 items 75 items on both chars

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
After 9/11, an unspecified number of people started making characters named after the mastermind. A warning was posted to uo.com that people would get instantly banned for a week, as I recall.

I made a character "Kill Bin Laden" to show my anger, as someone in the near vicinity of Ground Zero, but I stopped logging in lest a GM interpret the new rules too loosely.

Toshi

Visitor
UNLEASHED

It was my understanding that Lord British established his system of Virtues some time after he was democratically elected to be leader by the 8 founding towns & cities of the new realm of Britannia. The founding of this system of Virtues heralded the start of The Age of Enlightenment where the citizens of Britannia turned their focus inward to better understand how they might give meaning to their lives. The story of the Avatar, the first person to succeed at mastering all Eight Virtues, is one that tells of the faults and dangers of taking an ethical system and turning it into strict laws (legislating morality), thus showing the depths of despotism and fundamentalism.

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I had to change my guild title once simply because another player reported me for: Cinder F*ckin' Rella :rolleyes:

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
im guessing they want to keep their teen rating for the game. whats fun is to pvp/kill these chars with those kind of names. seems like they would be hunted down by some lol. i think these names should just be perma red. just my opinion. they use to just make u change the name, not ban account, unless there were other strikes against account.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
im guessing they want to keep their teen rating for the game. whats fun is to pvp/kill these chars with those kind of names. seems like they would be hunted down by some lol. i think these names should just be perma red. just my opinion. they use to just make u change the name, not ban account, unless there were other strikes against account.
Most of the weird restrictions on names and other stuff they've changed over the years is for international markets due to different laws. For example the cutting up dead bodies, and severed player heads had to be removed because it's illegal to include things like that in games in Germany. For the language stuff, it's usually Japan who has issues with it due to the translations sounding much worse in Japanese than English for some words.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Also they restrict names that might resemble mob spawns; at one point a few years ago I wanted to make a legendary wrestler named Ultimate Warrior (because why else?!?) but wasn't able to due to improper name. When I added an extra "r" to the end of Warrior it accepted the name but that was lame... (I went with Hulk Hogan instead).

Toshi

Visitor
UNLEASHED
In the meantime, I have named so many toons after actual Ultima characters....usually secondary characters like Toshi, for example, but also Hawkwind. So many that would seem to be a no-brainer on the ban list. But when I try to name my pet skree 'a cockatrice' it gives me a hard time? Just the standard idiocy at work.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
strangely enough 2 weeks ago i needed to do a dead end shard x-fer and delete the character when done so i created a character and named him 'La ******'.
when i landed on the end shard i was immaterially set upon by Karen and the soccer mom coalition informing me that my name was dirty.

i informed them that the very meaning of my name means im clean.
silly people.
and its not '******', i would never name myself something so vulgar.
it was THE ******.... but in french so it sounds more sophisticated.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
OMG is ****** seriously a blocked out word on here!!!!

ah hahahahahahhaha!

it doesn't even get the courtesy of a substituted word like most swear works.

made by Massengill, starts with e D and ends with a ouche.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*reports Poo for circumventing the profanity filter*

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
OMG is ****** seriously a blocked out word on here!!!!

ah hahahahahahhaha!

it doesn't even get the courtesy of a substituted word like most swear works.

made by Massengill, starts with e D and ends with a ouche.
1595179408177.png
I will make sure not to step on you..

Haidon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Because you're very emotional and a killjoy.
Hardly see where I am killing anyone else's joy in the matter or that I'm being emotional. I simply don't find the fun in making characters named after some real life A-holes. Feel free to do whatever you want within the frame work of the rules of the game.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Hardly see where I am killing anyone else's joy in the matter or that I'm being emotional. I simply don't find the fun in making characters named after some real life A-holes. Feel free to do whatever you want within the frame work of the rules of the game.
I dont think I've ever been offended by words or pixels. If you are, you need to look deep within and look at what went wrong. If you report names on UO, you have issues.