• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Treasure Hunting] Mystic T-Hunter Build Advice

KennyAr

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Haven't played a TH for a long long time. Looking for some advice on a mystic t-hunter build after the recent changes. I don't have Remove Trap, do I have to have RT? What does a typical Mystic TH look like, with or without RT?

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Build is the same, just swap mining for remove trap, and you will be fine.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'm running the following post treasure hunting changes:

120 Magery
120 Mysticsm
120 Focus
120 Spellweaving
100 Cartography
100 Lockpicking
100 Remove Trap

I have +60 in skill points built into the suit. Crystalline Ring is a huge help and I run with a -0 Mage Weapon. So far no issues through hoard maps. Going to try to my first Trove map solo later today.

KennyAr

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I'm running the following post treasure hunting changes:

120 Magery
120 Mysticsm
120 Focus
120 Spellweaving
100 Cartography
100 Lockpicking
100 Remove Trap

I have +60 in skill points built into the suit. Crystalline Ring is a huge help and I run with a -0 Mage Weapon. So far no issues through hoard maps. Going to try to my first Trove map solo later today.
I have a question on SW in this template. Does it work without the Arcane Focus, as the shard I am playing is quite empty.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It works, just not at peak efficiency (Word of Death requires the target to be about half the hit points you can do with a 6 focus to work right, 11-12 HP back per pulse with Gift of Renewal instead of 16-18, etc.). It's much less an issue than trying to run Magery without Eval, or Mystic without Focus or Imbue.

Plus, with a Spellweaving 3 mastery, you can get a level 3 focus by yourself at WBB.

Innoxicated

Journeyman
Make a cpl EJ mule accounts, run em both through the quest, and train them up to 100 SW. If it takes a little time away from your main play, it'll be worth it every time you (or a friend) needs a better focus. That and the +3 from the mastery, and on ATL you get +1 from the WBB arcane circle, is an easy level 6 focus.

Dont fret about training RT, you get alacrity type gains if you use the little puzzle kits. The really cool thing IMO about the inclusion of an additional skill to treasure hunting is the fact that even at 50 skill you'll see the whole process going much quicker.

You probably want to gm it, some don't bother, but either way its very cool that the functionality of the skill properly scales up with skill level instead of being only helpful at gm. If only more things worked like that!!

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I have a question on SW in this template. Does it work without the Arcane Focus, as the shard I am playing is quite empty.
You need an arcane focus, otherwise, I would skip the SW and just add Evaluate Intelligence.

As others have mentioned, you can get a level 3 arcane focus alone with a level 3 spellweaving primer. Additionally, with the level 3 primer, you only need one other skilled spellweaver to get the level 6 bonus. It won't last the full 9 hours at max, but it is about 6 hours which is more than sufficient to get some treasure hunts done. I usually hunt for an hour max daily because that corresponds to the 10th anniversary statue luck bonus duration.

KennyAr

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
You need an arcane focus, otherwise, I would skip the SW and just add Evaluate Intelligence.

As others have mentioned, you can get a level 3 arcane focus alone with a level 3 spellweaving primer. Additionally, with the level 3 primer, you only need one other skilled spellweaver to get the level 6 bonus. It won't last the full 9 hours at max, but it is about 6 hours which is more than sufficient to get some treasure hunts done. I usually hunt for an hour max daily because that corresponds to the 10th anniversary statue luck bonus duration.
Thanks innoxicated and Obsidian for your advices.

I have a last question to ask, do you guys have to play a gargoyle toon in order to cast RC efficiently?

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Thanks innoxicated and Obsidian for your advices.

I have a last question to ask, do you guys have to play a gargoyle toon in order to cast RC efficiently?
I play a human. Yes, I am unmounted, but I don’t have any issue getting away from the spawn.

Nero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Protection, stone form, a RC or Reaper up when you dig the chest, and pre-cast invisibility (or mass sleep) helps during the initial spawn. No need to run.

Also, mark a rune half a screen from the chest. In case you die, you can just recall back to the spot after resurrection. In case you are overload, you just recall out to drop stuff and recall back. In case you get swarmed by too many mobs, you recall to the marked spot and pick the mob one by one from distance.

Innoxicated

Journeyman
Gargs do have the benefit of moving at mount speed with the RC out, but tbh he really doesn't move much (unless its wandering in the direction opposite you need him to go, lol), but that's where mass sleep comes in very handy. It's easy to summon him a little off to one side, pull you first mob, and mass sleep the rest.

After the initial spawn is cleared you'll want to keep one up for the ancient guardians. I usually precast RC while running the RT cycle and pop one down as soon as the prev despawns. Also dont forget you only need to be close to initiate the RT cycle, then you can move back up to 15 tiles and place your RC somewhere in the middle.

The glorious thing about mystic synergizing so well with t-mapping is you have a tank, a potent aoe crowd control, and dont forget healing stone... but you also have stone form to help mitigate the damage you receive during the RT cycle.

I loved playing my bard tmapper pre-revamp and was rather disappointed to see bards nerfed so badly at something they excelled at, but since swapping to mystic I havent looked back... let's just hope we dont get another re-revamp, lol

BlackSheep

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
My suggestion is

120 Magery
120 Mysticism
120 Focus
100 Remove Trap
100 Cartography
100 Lockpicking
60 Meditation

This allows a full luck suit. I switched mysticism and focus with taming and lore in the end which is much better in my opinion.

Mayhem

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My suggestion is

120 Magery
120 Mysticism
120 Focus
100 Remove Trap
100 Cartography
100 Lockpicking
60 Meditation

This allows a full luck suit. I switched mysticism and focus with taming and lore in the end which is much better in my opinion.
Why 120 Mage if you aren't running eval? and I am not quite clear...are you saying you used to have tame and lore and dropped it for myst and focus? or the other way around.....could you please share why you feel one is better than the other? thank you

BlackSheep

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I pop the chest with a 190 luck spell channeling sword for luck bonus and then switch to a balakai staff which is -0 mage weapon for defense (120 defense). Also greater heal heals for more damage the higher Magery is. I have mind blast as a damage spell if I want.

I dropped mystic and focus for taming and lore. I complete chests much faster now. Pets cannot be dispelled. I can run consume damage to keep the pet alive as to where you cannot on a rising colossus. I can use different pets depending on what I need or want. Pack animal (giant beetle with rune corruption / armor ignore) if I want to store chest loot on pets for several maps in a row or Chivalry/armor ignore pet if I want faster kills.

zebesquefe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
After the initial spawn is cleared you'll want to keep one up for the ancient guardians. I usually precast RC while running the RT cycle and pop one down as soon as the prev despawns. Also dont forget you only need to be close to initiate the RT cycle, then you can move back up to 15 tiles and place your RC somewhere in the middle.
Nice tip! Living and learning!! :D

KennyAr

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
My suggestion is

120 Magery
120 Mysticism
120 Focus
100 Remove Trap
100 Cartography
100 Lockpicking
60 Meditation

This is my template now. I have no problem doing the Hoard maps. It takes time to finish off the annoying ancient guardians though.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
This is my template now. I have no problem doing the Hoard maps. It takes time to finish off the annoying ancient guardians though.

Thanks guys.
Even with 100 remove trap the treasure chest logic basically puts on a timer that says X time after the chest is dug up (based on level) you will always spawn an ancient guardian after level 3 I think.

Pro tip - if you do like 4-5 maps at a time and simply mark the area, dig it up then go find the other chests (mark and dig up) without removing the trap and then go back to your first marked chest (let's say 10min later) then you shouldn't need to worry about the ancient guardians as enough time has passed that you 100 skill can remove the trap first try no issues (at least this is my experience on using this method a bunch). In the amount of time it takes you to loot that first chest (and kill the baddies), you can recall to the next chest to rinse/repeat.

KennyAr

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Even with 100 remove trap the treasure chest logic basically puts on a timer that says X time after the chest is dug up (based on level) you will always spawn an ancient guardian after level 3 I think.

Pro tip - if you do like 4-5 maps at a time and simply mark the area, dig it up then go find the other chests (mark and dig up) without removing the trap and then go back to your first marked chest (let's say 10min later) then you shouldn't need to worry about the ancient guardians as enough time has passed that you 100 skill can remove the trap first try no issues (at least this is my experience on using this method a bunch). In the amount of time it takes you to loot that first chest (and kill the baddies), you can recall to the next chest to rinse/repeat.
Will definitely try this out.

Thanks. :p