• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mystic Mage Bard Questions

R

Rhale27

Hey everyone!

Not new to the forums, except for posting... but I wanted to pick the brains of some of the vets here. I started UO back when it first came out and recently came back in November. I left the game shortly after AoS came out so there was about a 10 year gap.

I have developed a crafter and a PvM character, but am uncertain on the path I want to continue on with my Mystic Mage at the moment. Due to the actions and help from Frost I am feeling like creating a Mystic Bard type of template that would involve RC stomping and Hail Storm flinging on Disco'd opponents. I play on Pac and Frost has helped my brother and I stay awake while killing Unbounds lol.

My current template is Current/End Template

110/120 Magery
120/120 Eval
105/120 Mystic
120/120 Focus
100/100 Inscription
100/120 Resist

Would it be as simple as dropping Inscription and Resist to pick up Music/Disco? Or would you guys recommend maybe dropping Magery down to 90-100 with a crystalline ring to hit 110-120, and getting some points in Med?

So perhaps:
(700 point cap)
80/100 Magery
120/120 Eval
105/120 Mystic
120/120 Focus
120/120 Music
120/120 Disco
35 ~ 65 with jewels for Med?

This will be a PvM char that can go out and have some fun with RC tanking/spell slinging hail storm and possibly some level 7 magery stuff. For the big game I do have a sampire but want to play a fun bard type of character.

Should I just go pure bard?

Thanks

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
with what you have now, i think i would be tempted to do as you said, BUT if it where me id stone off the EVAL as well and pick up 120 med.

on all my pre-existing pure bards they all had 120 music/disco/provo/peace then 110 magic and eval (cause im too cheap to put out gold for a 120 magic and eval on each shard)

and what i did when the masteries came out was i stoned off the 110 eval on each of them and put on 110 med.

why?
because i found that i needed the mana more then i needed the power of the magic spells.
i cant EVs when i need a summons.
and other then that i only really use heal, cure, invis and some teleports and such.
so didnt really need a eval.
and i switched to mind blast instead of e-bolt or lighting for my direct damage spell.

so for your template if it where me, id pull of the eval and get some med on there.
with the myst and the magic your gonna be chewing through some mad mana.
lots of critters now can dispel, so you may find your gonna be dropping a lot of RC's.
would suck to drop one, have to invis for 2 minutes till your mana got back up, then drop another... dispeled.... *sigh* wait 2 more minutes till your mana gets back up again.

but ya the mystic disco mage is a real nice template.
the cleansing winds heal is uber nice in a party.
the RCs hit like a house (a what) a house (a what?) a Brick.... House!
(sorry, have some old 70's song in my head)

anyways, thats just my suggestion.

RaistlinNowhere

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been playing a mage mystic bard, since abyss come out. The template have suffered many changes until i think i found the most reliable and the most profitable one.

The one i run now is :

120 music
120 provo
120 mystic
120 focus
110 magery
110 eval
20 necro
40 Spirit speak

Thats 760 template, but i use cristalline ring and imbued bracelet with skills. If you need, you can drop eval to 100, cause you MUST use slayers or superslayers books, so you can do nice damage and take the mana back thanks to wraith form. (so dropping 10 points from eval isnt a big deal)

I used disco at first, but i prefer provocation after i tried it with this template. I prefer to manage 8 mobs at once with no risk, than doing disco to only 1 (example, I run solo with zero problems the 3rd shame boss, the one that have 8 elementals around him).

A hint is that you can provo the mobs to attack your colossus, so you can imagine the rest hehehe (netherstorm with slayer and wraith form is superb :drool: )

Arrgh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good info here thanks for sharing! I just started a new bard and wasn't sure what to do. I went the focus route instead of the meditation route due to focus adding more damage from direct mystic spells. I didn't believe eval was needed since most of my magery is going to be invis, recall etc so it's set at zero. I guess I need to find what the lowest magery to cast invis is so I can drop it and use crystal ring to free up some points.

I'd like to go more traditional bard but as a mystic more than a mage. I can't see a way around not needing magery for casting the invis and on the low population shard I am on getting invis pots is impossible. Guess I could always level an alchemist eh?

Who knows I may try a version of Raistlin's build except drop magery as low as possible w/highest success chance to cast invis and no eval since spells will mostly be mystic based and eval (as far as I have read anyway) plays no part in direct damage w/mystic's spells??

I've been trying to get to this forum for 2 days now as they pulled maintenance and finally can go work on this.

Now all I need to do is get my suit imbued and work on skills.

RaistlinNowhere

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
its true that you can use this template without high magery, but i have it cause for large spawm i use netehrstorm but for 1 mob, mysticism doesnt have a good spell at all. So i use flamestrike on 1 vs 1 mob ( or better to say colossus vs mob hehehehe ).

Thats why i have magery and eval, also for fireballs when i need them, mysticism lack fire based spells

And about eval, it isnt related with mysticsm, for mysticism you need focus as high as you can.

Arrgh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not going to toss magery completely and eval is still on a stone.

I didn't get to train yesterday but did get this set-up and got his mastery book using rings and bracelets:

Disco - 72

Music - 115 (gonna have to stone it and use tamers 100)

Peace - 115

Provo - 86

Mystic - 50ish

Focus - 100

Magery - 108.9 natural

I was going to use crystal ring and Ornament and possibly swap mage skill w/low magery t-hunter's but it looks like imbuing a duel +15 +1x talent set of jewels is going to be a must to squeeze all this into 720 or impossible to do =( Grrr...either that or drop one or the other provo or disco.

Which mob were you speaking of that you needed magery for? I guess that would be some needed advice as I build.

Thanks =)

Z

Zero Day

I currently run a Mystic Bard, but thats mostly for PvP and my template is
120 Peace
120 Provo
120 Music
120 Mystic
120 Focus
120 Meditation

Now that works out pretty well for spawns and supporting guild in raids, but for damage output, beyond my colosusus, its not exactly the most bang for the buck.
I find peace saves my butt in the occasional hairy situation where you get mobbed by monsters, and if I was tuning to more damage I'd recommend swapping that Peace for Discord.
You could also take off meditation and with that 120 you could consider putting some necro/SS on there to go wraith form with mana leech.

RaistlinNowhere

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use flamestrike for all mob that i fight 1 vs 1. Like i said mysticism doesnt have a good 1 vs 1 spell. So i use it A LOT.

Almost forget, i use magery also for "dismiss" my colossus once i dont need it. (mass dispel)

And Arrgh one thing, ..... provo > peace. Peace nowdays is really bad, and provo is the king right now with all the dungeon revamps.

Arrgh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, then that is two votes for stoning peace. I was wanting to keep the provo and disco on the bard if at all possible. I'll get it ironed out soon enough. =) I seriously appreciate the feedback from you guys! I'll gladly take any tips I can get.

I still have the 108 magery on the char and zero eval atm and can dispel just fine plus overkill on mr and lmc and the 116 focus I'm not hurting for mana. I wish I could level up my disco and provo as fast as the focus. ><

I'm probably going to try to run with a similar set-up of some sort, I already have the scrolls and I really wish I had the sot's or cash to get the provo and disco up asap to get to the fun stuff already. I suppose I will have to grind it out like everyone else. =P

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i dont use peace anymore.
disco, provo is all i use on my pure bards.

i have it on there for the bonus, which isnt much, but i have no other need for the 120 points so i keep it there "just in case" i need to drop a Peace Grenade to get out.

but ya, if your building a template id leave peace out.

R

Rhale27

Thanks for the all the input!

I decided to drop eval, stoned inscription, and will also drop resist. Thinking of setting magery to roughly 80+ring so (100) and will pick up music, disco, and med to 120. My mage is a human so I use the JOAT bonus to go wraith form and blast away. With just JOAT, I can wraith form and hail storm for ~10-12 mana. With 16 MR, 120 focus and 120 med, I can spam hail storm all day long :) The only issue I see is my account does not have any skill point bonus so I will have to reserve the bracelet for additional skill points and might have to rebuild a suit around specific gear.

I have been using a music spamming macro for the EC and do so while my RC beats on mid level Shame. Great technique to raise music, farm essence for my imbuer, and raise skill.

Disco looks like it is going to be a tremendous pain to raise. Any tips or should I just disco everything I see? My music is currently 97.2, should I wait till 100? I rarely get the "play poorly" message. Disco is currently at 31.2 or something, just purchased off NPC.

Arrgh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm thrilled you asked the same questions I had Rhale. They'll have us up and doing spawns soon. =D

Z

Zero Day

I just worked disco to 90 and used the mastery to get up to 94 in about 2 hours last night.
I already have 120 peace and 120 provo, which I stoned off along with 120 music.

I got 2 alacrity scrolls for music and worked music from 0-> GM in about 45 minutes in order to train discord.

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...I used disco at first, but i prefer provocation after i tried it with this template. I prefer to manage 8 mobs at once with no risk, than doing disco to only 1 (example, I run solo with zero problems the 3rd shame boss, the one that have 8 elementals around him)...
Hey RaistlinNowhere... I have several questions for you and here's the first couple:

What exactly is the "3rd shame boss" and what level of shame are you playing to summon him?

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
if im not mistaken that is the Wind Elemental Guardian

all the bosses in shame are push overs.
there was a big write up on them when the new shame came out.

basically the bosses for level 1, 2 and 3 where a 'taste' of what the next level would be in shame.

so level one boss was a elemental.
level 2 was a fire elemental.
level 3 was a wind elemental.

with the exception that they are red instead of grey and i THINK they where called guardians.

they are basically the same as a paragon.

i went and did them all with my disco tamer, the where down in seconds.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if im not mistaken that is the Wind Elemental Guardian

all the bosses in shame are push overs.
there was a big write up on them when the new shame came out.

basically the bosses for level 1, 2 and 3 where a 'taste' of what the next level would be in shame.

so level one boss was a elemental.
level 2 was a fire elemental.
level 3 was a wind elemental.

with the exception that they are red instead of grey and i THINK they where called guardians. Do they drop loot that's better than, oh say, Unbound EV's?

they are basically the same as a paragon.

i went and did them all with my disco tamer, the where down in seconds.
Thx Poo... What kind of loot do these "bosses" or "gaurdians" drop?

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
and no, the loot isnt anything good.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In your experience, do these "guardians" drop loot that is as good or better than, oh say, the Unbound EV's in Level 5?

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
In your experience, do these "guardians" drop loot that is as good or better than, oh say, the Unbound EV's in Level 5?
look at that!

i answered your question before you even asked it!

snap!

im just THAT good!

hahahaha

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Wierd... Then what's the point?
shame was set up as a beginner to hard core dungeon.

so you were suppose to progress through the levels and they would get harder as they go.

so the bosses at the end of the first three levels where there to give you a taste of what was on the next level to see if you where ready to go there.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
shame was set up as a beginner to hard core dungeon.

so you were suppose to progress through the levels and they would get harder as they go.

so the bosses at the end of the first three levels where there to give you a taste of what was on the next level to see if you where ready to go there.
Ahhhh..... Lol.... I just bypassed the first 4 levels to get to the "good stuff" and didn't bother with the "guardian" thing... But it still doesn't make a lot of sense to me now that I think about it... but, oh well, there's a lot of stuff that fits in that catagory for me...

:pint:

Arrgh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i dont use peace anymore.
disco, provo is all i use on my pure bards.

i have it on there for the bonus, which isnt much, but i have no other need for the 120 points so i keep it there "just in case" i need to drop a Peace Grenade to get out.

but ya, if your building a template id leave peace out.
I've been debating with the voices in my head and we've almost all decided to swap out disco on the tamer from time to time for peerless as well. Wish I had of 120'd this years ago.

No peace 3 for 3 on the bard also? The 3rd time is a charm and from Poo to boot, guess I'll be stoning it and doing the Raistlin build or a variation leaning towards it heavily. I sort of want to keep peace for the Grenade exit as well but can't have it all huh?