• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mystery of the disappearing pets...

IcePrinsess

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Good morning.. I had a question/ comment. This morning I was doing a spawn and I died and my pet also died. My Paroxysmus' Swamp dragon straight disappeared. It isn't counted on my pet slots list which is at zero. This pets are hard to get and/ or expensive to buy. Where are the disappearing pets going? Also, a friend of mine a few days ago had a Cu disappear. He paged a GM and was told nothing could be done. Just wondering if there is some bug ? Thanks

belkins

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good morning.. I had a question/ comment. This morning I was doing a spawn and I died and my pet also died. My Paroxysmus' Swamp dragon straight disappeared. It isn't counted on my pet slots list which is at zero. This pets are hard to get and/ or expensive to buy. Where are the disappearing pets going? Also, a friend of mine a few days ago had a Cu disappear. He paged a GM and was told nothing could be done. Just wondering if there is some bug ? Thanks
If you haven't already log out and log back in and sometimes your pet will reappear. Also if you had pet summoning ball try it. If neither of those work.. it may be lost to a bug in uo. =\

IcePrinsess

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Awards
If you haven't already log out and log back in and sometimes your pet will reappear. Also if you had pet summoning ball try it. If neither of those work.. it may be lost to a bug in uo. =\
Yeah.. I did try and log a couple times.. but it was zero/five on my pet slots :(

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It could have gone wild before it died.

If you do not check its hapoiness level and feed it on a regular basis, or if a bug hits that drops it attitude, then you are sol when the pet dies :(

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Was the pet bonded? You didn't actually say, but I've seen an awful lot of people go out hunting with unbonded pets...also some people seem to be unaware that pets need to eat, as Draza says. Other than that there have been quite a few pets just going *poof* since the pet revamp, sometimes taking huge values of PS with them!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Was the pet bonded? You didn't actually say, but I've seen an awful lot of people go out hunting with unbonded pets...also some people seem to be unaware that pets need to eat, as Draza says. Other than that there have been quite a few pets just going *poof* since the pet revamp, sometimes taking huge values of PS with them!
Paroxy Dragons Bond as soon as you get them from statue... so I'm guessing it was bonded... the issue of the occasionally being unsummoned is been around since day 1 of their release.

I've had a few pets go wild and die... they leave a corpse. These just vanish without a trace. No corpse no nothing.

I've seen a Paroxy go wild... you can retame it if it does but then you have to stable and rebond it... however don't bring a tamer to retame it for you as they can't be traded.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Ahhh thanks @MalagAste I didn't know that! Sad to lose something that cost so much and is hard to replace. :(

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pray to the spirit of the gargoyle statue that this bug be fixed.
(Slightly more practically, post on the official forums, and bring to the attention of Bleak. )

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
You need to post it to the GM's : First have proof that you had one, somehow. Then of course, you were riding the paroxy dragon, you did no make it fight, disobey, go wild etc. This is a large loss of value, since they are (nearly) impossible to get and they cost a ton. They should be able to fix, and get it back for you. Hard to believe that it went wild. It has 99% chance of being a bug. Ask another GM if the one you talked to refuses to help. I dont buy this "nathing can be done" attitude from them.

I was at an idoc a few months ago...maybe 30 minutes affter it fell and a guy was there with his mount. I tried placing a plot and when I did his pet disappeared. As far as I know he never was able to recover it.

Hazel868789

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I to have lost TWO bonded and scrolled pets. MILLIONS lost!! Lost during event/invasion. Something has got to be done now that a small fortune is being put into them. Wild? BS. FED and BONDED. There is ZERO legitimate reason to loose them.

Only viable option I see is to add more excellent coding that does 3 things:
1. Places "zero" damage pet gives when improperly fed. (coding already inplace, ie, candlelite event)
2. Only, again, ONLY place to release bonded pet is in guard zone which is NOT part of event/invasion. Released pet vanishes when option selected to release
3. Limit release only after timer expires after combat. IE, like timer placed on logging in to new toon after combat of another toon on same account.

Thats my two platinum.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I to have lost TWO bonded and scrolled pets. MILLIONS lost!! Lost during event/invasion. Something has got to be done now that a small fortune is being put into them. Wild? BS. FED and BONDED. There is ZERO legitimate reason to loose them.

Only viable option I see is to add more excellent coding that does 3 things:
1. Places "zero" damage pet gives when improperly fed. (coding already inplace, ie, candlelite event)
2. Only, again, ONLY place to release bonded pet is in guard zone which is NOT part of event/invasion. Released pet vanishes when option selected to release
3. Limit release only after timer expires after combat. IE, like timer placed on logging in to new toon after combat of another toon on same account.

Thats my two platinum.

I'm still super hurt over losing my bonded pink Hiryu... fully scrolled and trained... I'd just gotten it from the stables it was Wonderfully happy... hadn't had it out but a few min when I went to an event where it suddenly went wild but then there were about a 1/2 dozen EVs and RCs people had cast and they all killed my hiryu so fast wasn't funny nothing I could do but watch... I just left. Quit playing for at least a week... still don't like to play the character anymore. Miss my bird.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
ive lost 4 prox dragons, will never use them again. 2 of them were lost at dreadhorn, bug along time ago.

SwordofExcalibur

One of the last Rangers of Skara Brae
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
ive lost 4 prox dragons, will never use them again. 2 of them were lost at dreadhorn, bug along time ago.
They still trade very well. I see people shout for them quite often on ATL.

I guess some people will just fork over the cash to use them regardless of the risks.

Bleh, the bug is just one of the many on the pile of never-ending bugs I suppose.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I'm still super hurt over losing my bonded pink Hiryu... fully scrolled and trained... I'd just gotten it from the stables it was Wonderfully happy... hadn't had it out but a few min when I went to an event where it suddenly went wild but then there were about a 1/2 dozen EVs and RCs people had cast and they all killed my hiryu so fast wasn't funny nothing I could do but watch... I just left. Quit playing for at least a week... still don't like to play the character anymore. Miss my bird.
Particularly infuriating if this was a Strong Pink, that together with the Strong Green Hiryu are with a .092 frequency of spawning, and could take years to spawn one. On TOP of all this, then the issue of the about 150-190 M gold spent for the PS to fully scroll, plus the hours spent training and skilling the pet. This is really something they should seriously look into.
The Paroxie loss also really takes the cake. If you can ever get a chance to buy one, it will cost you lots of millions. Its a pet you don't send it to fight for you. You ride on it and benefit from that. Also you rarely if ever send commands to it, so hard to believe that "it went wild" due to known game mechanics. So the loss of that is bewildering: If the player dies, the pet remains behind and it is either just roaming there, or gets attacked and there is a pet ghost there, that when you go to your safe area you can rez. So how would you get it lost unless there is a game glitch or fart, or whatever? This is a shame..

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Particularly infuriating if this was a Strong Pink, that together with the Strong Green Hiryu are with a .092 frequency of spawning, and could take years to spawn one. On TOP of all this, then the issue of the about 150-190 M gold spent for the PS to fully scroll, plus the hours spent training and skilling the pet. This is really something they should seriously look into.
The Paroxie loss also really takes the cake. If you can ever get a chance to buy one, it will cost you lots of millions. Its a pet you don't send it to fight for you. You ride on it and benefit from that. Also you rarely if ever send commands to it, so hard to believe that "it went wild" due to known game mechanics. So the loss of that is bewildering: If the player dies, the pet remains behind and it is either just roaming there, or gets attacked and there is a pet ghost there, that when you go to your safe area you can rez. So how would you get it lost unless there is a game glitch or fart, or whatever? This is a shame..
The first time I lost a beloved pet was shortly after Doom... When some idiot summoned up the Skeletal Dragon and we had to kill it in order to get across... Just as the dragon was almost defeated... he killed my beloved 7x WW Ice... who left no ghost to rez... at first, I just stood there dumbfounded... staring at his corpse... then it dawned on me that he was gone... totally gone... I cried.

I didn't want to play for days. Tamed another but never was it as good as Ice had been... just never was the same. I don't imagine I'll ever get another Pink Hiryu... Still can't really play that tamer anymore...

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Pets lose loaylty, or happiness, when they cant see you. A little over time. If you never feed your pet, or give it successful commands, its loyalty can decay to the point where it can go wild on you.

In the case of sampires tho, that would be years, but still, it can happen.

Hazel868789

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Pets lose loaylty, or happiness, when they cant see you. A little over time. If you never feed your pet, or give it successful commands, its loyalty can decay to the point where it can go wild on you.

Not trolling here. But the point being, recently fed, maxed happiness, etc etc, going wild in under 30 seconds to a minute. UNACCEPTABLE !!

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Parox swampy has been bugged for a long, long time. I lost one roughly 6 years ago, it went poof. Have never even considered buying another since. Save your gold/time for something else. Most other mmos will help return bugged items to you, but not here. It's an exercise in futility. Just steer clear of parox swamp dragons.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED

Yep.. No reason for Paroxies to go POOF..

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Not trolling here. But the point being, recently fed, maxed happiness, etc etc, going wild in under 30 seconds to a minute. UNACCEPTABLE !!
Yep really sucks..A scrolled and trained pet should never, under any circumstances go poof. Same thing with Paroxies..

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As somewhat of a new tamer, I have noticed that what I feed my pet plays a big role. For my cu, if I feed it grapes, it is hungry again very quickly. If I feed it apples, it lasts a bit longer. A peach and it is good to go for a long while. When it was given to me, they said.... "She likes Peaches". Now I just took it as, a role-playing thing, but sure enough, she really digs peaches. I check out other people pets when I start hear them doing that "I'm hungry and I am going to ignore you" sound. I often see them extremely and the person still just all killing away. I did notice recently though that the dragons in question use the same sound for feed me as they do chomping on something. Could it be as simple as having them change the sound for them? and perhaps we can test the food thing? I would be curious if anyone else has seen (heard) what I do.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is no "feed me" or "hungry" sound.
It's "I'm not going to obey that command, and I will be less happy."
You can avoid that situation by not giving your pet commands.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
paroxy's aren't going away due to lack of food - I've lost 2 of them while watching the screen - they both got dispelled

it made the "pop" sound that something makes when you dispel it both times

barracoon dispelled one of mine - pop - gone instantly - just like when it dispells EVs

they "supposedly" fixed the dispelling problem at one point .... but they didn't

it has nothing to do with food at all - they're just getting mass dispelled

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
paroxy's aren't going away due to lack of food - I've lost 2 of them while watching the screen - they both got dispelled

it made the "pop" sound that something makes when you dispel it both times

barracoon dispelled one of mine - pop - gone instantly - just like when it dispells EVs

they "supposedly" fixed the dispelling problem at one point .... but they didn't

it has nothing to do with food at all - they're just getting mass dispelled
Right if the problem was due to not feeding them they would simply go wild... at which you could maybe retame them but they VANISH... Just like the Grizzled Mare I once had... went "Poof" haven't had the heart to open another one... so it sits in statue form...

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I lost 3 Paroxys that way before I finally gave in and got a real swampy. In fact I keep 4 regular swampies fully armored in the stable so if one dies somewhere i can't get it rezzed, I just get another one. And besides, regular swampies give better defense absorption anyhow.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I know I lost 2 Paroxymus swamp dragons while I was afk in Shame (just north of the Wind elementals....) guess I didn't go far enough from where they spawn...

I would assume some of the mobs added as part of the dungeon revamps still have the ability to "dispell" pets from statuettes/crystals etc. outside of those types of pets, I've never lost any "tamed" pets from anything other than server downs before they added the "fix" for that of course.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I’ve lost 2 in roof. It’s a bug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I died in a Fel dungeon while hunting with my trained beetle. Of course my beetle died as well.

So I found a healer, res'd, logged out and back in. 0 pet slots were being used, beetle not in the stables. I mounted and dismounted an ethy.

I went back to the dungeon, my 5-slot dead beetle was there. I res'd it, was able to mount either my beetle or my ethy. I decided to mount the beetle and logout. When I logged back in, all 5 slots were used again.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lost one years ago. Sent a bug report, never heard back. They don't care.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Its not that they dont care, but if they cant reproduce it, then they cant find a fix for it.
Most mmo's like WoW will give you your stuff back if a hack/bug happens. UO team won't even reply to a ticket.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If they can't reproduce it they aren't trying...
Or remember that there are less than 20 of them and around 50k of us? Odds of it happening to them when testing in a controlled enviroment , are way lower than it happening to a player on live, when it only happens to a handful.

Im starting to sound like a fanboi

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
You are not fanboi by supporting reality..
Think of it this way : Hard to believe that in WOW someone "lost" a priceless mount, and that the WOW devs just made/gave another one to him/her. We would like to have some proof that the WOW(Or other MMO) Devs did do that, just blindly for the asking.
Also : Think of the dishonest player that claims they lost a paroxy though they never had one. Can the Devs go back to previously saved data (back-ups) to check the truth of this? Maybe. Also is there a way in the game to "play back" the event during which time the *poof* happened? Not so sure.
Also: Do they actually mean that these highly priced/prized pets can just *poof*, and can just be "dispelled"?
This is one of the most infuriating things to happen in game. To have no rhyme or reason to lose without any logical or clear explanation, a super valuable mount that is almost impossible to get or buy..At the same time solving this issue may be very difficult, as is likely for the other trained and scrolled pets that can go POOF. Frankly I have a paroxy bound to my sampire, but he has been sleeping in the stable last few years, so I use my horsie ethy, and may start using just a regular armored swampie for extra defense, but I have so far not found that to be necessary.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You are not fanboi by supporting reality..
Think of it this way : Hard to believe that in WOW someone "lost" a priceless mount, and that the WOW devs just made/gave another one to him/her. We would like to have some proof that the WOW(Or other MMO) Devs did do that, just blindly for the asking.
Also : Think of the dishonest player that claims they lost a paroxy though they never had one. Can the Devs go back to previously saved data (back-ups) to check the truth of this? Maybe. Also is there a way in the game to "play back" the event during which time the *poof* happened? Not so sure.
Also: Do they actually mean that these highly priced/prized pets can just *poof*, and can just be "dispelled"?
This is one of the most infuriating things to happen in game. To have no rhyme or reason to lose without any logical or clear explanation, a super valuable mount that is almost impossible to get or buy..At the same time solving this issue may be very difficult, as is likely for the other trained and scrolled pets that can go POOF. Frankly I have a paroxy bound to my sampire, but he has been sleeping in the stable last few years, so I use my horsie ethy, and may start using just a regular armored swampie for extra defense, but I have so far not found that to be necessary.
Yes they replace items on WoW. Ive had it done after I was hacked. They just go to backup and restore everything. I've also seen them replace a mount that didn't add to someone's pet journal (which holds mounts) when they used it. The fact that this has been going on for so many years, and they don't respond when you report it is what is kind of nuts.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Yes they replace items on WoW. Ive had it done after I was hacked. They just go to backup and restore everything. I've also seen them replace a mount that didn't add to someone's pet journal (which holds mounts) when they used it. The fact that this has been going on for so many years, and they don't respond when you report it is what is kind of nuts.
I wonder if there is a possible way to restore just one character, or they would need to restore an entire shard. The latter may have serious consequences I reckon..

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I accidentally deleted a character in EQ2 who had borrowed my beloved purple tiger mount and I sent a message to the GM's asking if anything could be done as it was a present from my husband. I had my pet back next day with a stern warning to be more careful and a funny account of how the GM had to go and retrieve my pet from the 'nether', whatever that is?! :D

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I accidentally deleted a character in EQ2 who had borrowed my beloved purple tiger mount and I sent a message to the GM's asking if anything could be done as it was a present from my husband. I had my pet back next day with a stern warning to be more careful and a funny account of how the GM had to go and retrieve my pet from the 'nether', whatever that is?! :D
That is what I call service. Service is what is all about in present day business, and having satisfied customers that will come back.
In my early college years as a stock-clerk at Jewel Osco I got fired by my boss for helping little old ladies find stuff they wanted to buy in the store. :offtopic:
Nowdays service is everything. I guess our UO Devs can take notice of other MMO's helping in unusual circumstances..
The problem may be though the documentation of the event, and how it happened etc.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Or remember that there are less than 20 of them and around 50k of us? Odds of it happening to them when testing in a controlled enviroment , are way lower than it happening to a player on live, when it only happens to a handful.

Im starting to sound like a fanboi
There is 1 of them that could fix it... There is 1 of them that should be testing it... and there is 1 of them which could help..... and then there is a Dark Lady who ought to know just how much work it is to get this crap and they shouldn't just despanw..... that's ******** especially given their cost...

It makes me not want to buy any of the similar items in the shop because i have a feeling they will do it too.... as well as those hiryu that come from Eodon... This issue needs to be resolved. PERIOD.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
There is 1 of them that could fix it... There is 1 of them that should be testing it... and there is 1 of them which could help..... and then there is a Dark Lady who ought to know just how much work it is to get this crap and they shouldn't just despanw..... that's ******** especially given their cost...

It makes me not want to buy any of the similar items in the shop because i have a feeling they will do it too.... as well as those hiryu that come from Eodon... This issue needs to be resolved. PERIOD.
WOW! Are there Hiryu spawning in Eodon?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
WOW! Are there Hiryu spawning in Eodon?
No, it's a reward from a quest or some such... I forget what it's called... but it's some sort of Hiryu comes in statuette form and you then get a bonded one... they come in various colors of browns and bronzes and such.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
No, it's a reward from a quest or some such... I forget what it's called... but it's some sort of Hiryu comes in statuette form and you then get a bonded one... they come in various colors of browns and bronzes and such.
Did not know that..Are these trainable?