• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Myst/Riven

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
As I've been playing TSW, I have been remembering the classic puzzle games Myst and Riven. Really challenging puzzles--no direct walthrough, you actually have to think things through, talk to NPCs for clues, take time to inspect the area, etc. Anyone else have this sense?

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Yes and I love it. It's one of my favorite parts of the game. People who don't want to be challenged can of course just hit "b" and open a browser in game and search for the answer, but for those of us who love puzzle games and challenges it's an awesome part of The Secret World.

Daestrus

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I haven't played Myst in at least 15 years, but a lot of TSW does remind me of old school gaming. That being: you're given an objective, often vague and then tossed out into the world. I used to get that feeling playing MUDs and Ultima Online. When I played UO, Stratics was just about the only place to find help in the game and there weren't too many fully detailed guides for anything like we have in this day and age.

Even though you can technically Google the solution to any problem in TSW, the fact that the game itself isn't holding your hand takes me back the old days just a little bit.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I haven't played Myst in at least 15 years, but a lot of TSW does remind me of old school gaming. That being: you're given an objective, often vague and then tossed out into the world. I used to get that feeling playing MUDs and Ultima Online. When I played UO, Stratics was just about the only place to find help in the game and there weren't too many fully detailed guides for anything like we have in this day and age.

Even though you can technically Google the solution to any problem in TSW, the fact that the game itself isn't holding your hand takes me back the old days just a little bit.
That's what makes it fun for me. It might frustrate some others who just want to see how fast they can get to the "end game". Fortunately though we've already had ... what 3 full content publishes. They keep on this rate we should be busy for as long as the game runs.