• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

My Vision for Factions

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
A bunch of us were just having a scrum with Mesanna on Atlantic, and it got me thinking about factions, and how to make them fun, and something people want to play. So here are my ideas. Feel free to comment on them, critique them, etc.

- Reduce statloss from 20 min to 5 min. I don't think stat loss should go, but it could easily be reduced so that people can get back into the fun faster and to avoid the current mind numbing situation.

- Faction points should stop decaying once you hit the 100 punkte mark. Otherwise I think the punkte system is pretty good.

- Turn the faction bases into "castles" which can be laid siege to. This idea is borrowed from other games, but it is a good one. Basically you can build the defences of your base, which will require resources, and crafters - huzzah for carpenters and stone masons! The central objective of the base is a well, and if you control the well, you automatically have a moat which fills with water when you control the base. What the moat does is reduce the access points to the base from a wide front, to one or two choke points.

- Keep the four factions, but only have two faction base locations, and don't have them tied to a certain faction. Your faction can only control one base at a time, but if you do, you can build a tower to defend the well, and at that point your faction banner will fly over that tower. You cannot build anything else until you build that central tower to defend the well.

- The next thing that can be built are the walls and wall towers. Once the walls are fully build you can then build specific buildings inside the base, include a faction mage shop, a healers, a gemstone mine, a metal mine, a forge and tailor shop where you can craft faction armour, and a stable where you can buy faction mounts, which should be able to be armoured, in the same way swamp dragons can.

- Once you have control of a base, you can control towns in a similar way to the way you can now, and this is the only way you can get faction silver for the faction. No more faction silver from pvm. Prices for all kinds of resources in the game should be raised everywhere, except in faction towns. You can no longer set prices, but they should be what is normal now, while resources everywhere else in Trammel, etc, should be raised. Anyone can buy in a faction town, except for enemy faction members, and a certain percentage of the gold spent is "taxed" and goes into the faction coffers as silver.

- Silver for individual members comes from killing enemy faction players, and the higher the enemy's kill point value, the more silver you get.

- To build the central tower that controls the well, and to build the walls your faction does not need to spend faction silver and that allows you to fight for and control the cities. But to build the special buildings the faction needs to spend silver, in addition to the present system of traps and guards.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A bunch of us were just having a scrum with Mesanna on Atlantic, and it got me thinking about factions, and how to make them fun, and something people want to play. So here are my ideas. Feel free to comment on them, critique them, etc.

- Reduce statloss from 20 min to 5 min. I don't think stat loss should go, but it could easily be reduced so that people can get back into the fun faster and to avoid the current mind numbing situation.

- Faction points should stop decaying once you hit the 100 punkte mark. Otherwise I think the punkte system is pretty good.

- Turn the faction bases into "castles" which can be laid siege to. This idea is borrowed from other games, but it is a good one. Basically you can build the defences of your base, which will require resources, and crafters - huzzah for carpenters and stone masons! The central objective of the base is a well, and if you control the well, you automatically have a moat which fills with water when you control the base. What the moat does is reduce the access points to the base from a wide front, to one or two choke points.

- Keep the four factions, but only have two faction base locations, and don't have them tied to a certain faction. Your faction can only control one base at a time, but if you do, you can build a tower to defend the well, and at that point your faction banner will fly over that tower. You cannot build anything else until you build that central tower to defend the well.

- The next thing that can be built are the walls and wall towers. Once the walls are fully build you can then build specific buildings inside the base, include a faction mage shop, a healers, a gemstone mine, a metal mine, a forge and tailor shop where you can craft faction armour, and a stable where you can buy faction mounts, which should be able to be armoured, in the same way swamp dragons can.

- Once you have control of a base, you can control towns in a similar way to the way you can now, and this is the only way you can get faction silver for the faction. No more faction silver from pvm. Prices for all kinds of resources in the game should be raised everywhere, except in faction towns. You can no longer set prices, but they should be what is normal now, while resources everywhere else in Trammel, etc, should be raised. Anyone can buy in a faction town, except for enemy faction members, and a certain percentage of the gold spent is "taxed" and goes into the faction coffers as silver.

- Silver for individual members comes from killing enemy faction players, and the higher the enemy's kill point value, the more silver you get.

- To build the central tower that controls the well, and to build the walls your faction does not need to spend faction silver and that allows you to fight for and control the cities. But to build the special buildings the faction needs to spend silver, in addition to the present system of traps and guards.
While I think that this is a good idea I am not sure if there is anyway to implement the mechanics involved. Also I will flat out say that increasing the price of things in Trammel for faction gain is wrong. Its time for us to stop viewing the world as give give to me and take take take from everyone else. The better idea is to give faction town vendors something to sell that folks want but that is not available for sale elsewhere. Then make it so only those who are rank 1 or above (or maybe 4 or 5) can buy those things. I was thinking the non essence parts from the SA expansion. Just fix decay and make sure it is working right to keep folks honest. What they probably should have done is not scale back but wipe the points all together and give a week or two before the brackets went into effect. This means that for folks to get the goodies they must control towns and actually be a real member of factions that either steals or kills. The tower idea is great but sadly I am not sure if there is anyway to code it as I said before. If there is I think they should do it, but I do agree that the bases need ironing out and a small revamp to make them better. Also they should encourage all the aspects to factions maybe have areas that give a bonus to crafting something that will encourage folks to be in there. The saddest thing that ever happened to factions is when it left the town and war thing to become Yew gate and spawning add ons.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I don't think the mechanics are out of the realm of possibility. You look at what was done with custom housing, this would surely be no more complex than that.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't think the mechanics are out of the realm of possibility. You look at what was done with custom housing, this would surely be no more complex than that.
Its the foot print that I think would be hard to code but it would be great if it were possible. At least some of it if all of it isn't possible. Of course anything that brings factions back into the towns and increases town fighting are a great thing in my eyes.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Silver for individual members comes from killing enemy faction players, and the higher the enemy's kill point value, the more silver you get.
I liked this idea, seems to make sense to me. 40 silver seems low for killing an opposing faction member especially if theyre good at pvp. The reward should be higher for this rather than going out and farming silver from monsters.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I proposed this some time ago I was insulted, so it's interesting to see others making the proposal and be lauded for it.

Think about this for a moment. A little point-farming and you would never have to touch Factions again.

Prices for all kinds of resources in the game should be raised everywhere, except in faction towns.
Easier for Factioners, harder for everyone else? Firstly, from a realism perspective, prices would be higher in a war zone. Especially in a war like Factions which has been going on for years and has no end in sight. Secondly, it's really more of an attempt to punish folks who don't want to participate in Factions than it is an attempt to elevate Factions. Not good, for a variety of reasons.

*shrugs*

-Galen's player

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Think about this for a moment. A little point-farming and you would never have to touch Factions again.
Ya, I'm realizing, especially since the last publish that the punkte system is completely broken.