• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

my top five

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yah, it's early, so if you'd like to share list as many as ya want :)

1. The Retreat by Ynise Amandil (bias here, it's mine)
2. The Township by Christmas Magic
3. Highland Estate by Mr Crowley
4. Castle Terra by Gucci
5. Lord Obsidian's Manor by Nightshade

so many good designs this time around - my other entry is Courtyard by Serenity, which is a design that I love, but The Retreat has a barn and I've got a real soft spot for barns

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No pirate themed castles though. I'm horrible at house building or I would have tried, but I wish someone would have done one.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
one of these 2 first

Town Square or Necromansion

then

Shadows Of Myth

there are a few village ones i like as well

some very good designs well done everyone

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

4. Castle Terra by Gucci

so many good designs this time around - my other entry is Courtyard by Serenity, which is a design that I love, but The Retreat has a barn and I've got a real soft spot for barns
#1 has some serious flaws. It lacks the corner posts... which means in Fel or on Siege Mugen ... You will get killed. You can be attacked in your home if you lack the corner posts for the NW corners... which this house has NONE of them.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No pirate themed castles though. I'm horrible at house building or I would have tried, but I wish someone would have done one.
Actually there are a couple one has "handbuilt" ships on it... the other is a water-themed one... though the rooms are very small and it's somewhat cramped ... but otherwise it was a beautiful design... I forget what it was called.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I thought there were a ton of awesome designs. So much of if comes down to personal taste and function, so grading them almost feels wrong.

The top 5 that I could see myself using were:

1. N2 Town Square
2. N61 Old Fortress
3. N65 Rural Downtown
4. N136 Shadows of Myth
5. N171 Herot

Honorable mentions for outstanding creativity:
N70 Necrovania
N182 Necromansion
N191 Remote Island Observatory

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
#23 Half Timbered Has the village look and some actual room not a row of little buildings. If you have one castle the cute factor wears off quick. I need room. And NO it is not mine.

Last edited:

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
#1 has some serious flaws. It lacks the corner posts... which means in Fel or on Siege Mugen ... You will get killed. You can be attacked in your home if you lack the corner posts for the NW corners... which this house has NONE of them.
Mal, do you mean #1 on the Brit stone or #1 on my list? can assure you, mine is not missing any corners :)

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My top 5 and I was realy impressed what many of you had built if there is another competition I might take part aswell even if i said i never play uo again :)

90 red (this is by far my favorite )
39 township
175 Sweet water mansion
137 Stronghold
108 The retreat

183 Fools march (was some problems with doors if not this would be in top 5 )

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
#23 Half Timbered Has the village look and some actual room not a row of little buildings. If you have one castle the cute factor wears off quick. I need room. And NO it is not mine.
I have just one castle on ATL and no other houses there.... and struggled with the same thinking for a long time. But The North Harbor Township really changed my thinking. The houses there are almost all small, but done so outstanding with deco. Obviously with just one house plot, its a little harder to recreate what they have done with many housing plots, but I definitely found inspiration for decoing with smaller spaces in mind.
If you haven't been, I highly recommend taking a tour.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Merus I am your neighbor on Atlantic. I am well aware of how many tiny cute, clever houses you built. I am also aware you have a keep in that town. Seems you would have dropped that keep for more tiny, cute homes I highly recommend you take a tour of #23.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Merus I am your neighbor on Atlantic. I am well aware of how many tiny cute, clever houses you built. I am also aware you have a keep in that town. Seems you would have dropped that keep for more tiny, cute homes I highly recommend you take a tour of #23.
I only have 1 house on Atlantic, a castle.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thought you were the owner, matters not. We have our own opinions and I like 23.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This was a particularly tough round for me. I really wanted to see new and different designs and I think I got what I was hoping for. I didn't want to see more of the same designs, standard castle, etc that we already have so many of. We need to expand our choices. What felt important to me was getting away from the stone castle look.

What surprised me was how interesting some of the towns/villages were. I would love the chance to be able to decorate one of these. For those that have townships these could be a wonderful addition. They were well done. Homewood was wonderful, it even had an outhouse! Vendortown was very similar in style and as good. I loved Japanese Chio-Toshi and felt like I was in an anime. It was so cool.

Other non-village designs that I loved were Neco-vani. A lot of thought went into that design. If I had a PK guild or Vampire guild or such that building would be the center focus. Pretty amazing. Glacial Palace I really love because it come closes to matching what I want personally, the Taj Majal.

There are so many more but if I can only list 5 I guess those would be them.
I ended up voting for Homewood as I feel it's time for a whole different option and that was, for me, the best choice for a medieval game. And no, it's not mine. I don't have any skin in this round. Good luck to all the builders and please save your designs for the next round because you all can't win this round. So many great ones and so hard to choose!

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Unlike the last contest for castles, these designs were lots more creative in the use of textures, etc. Even the ones bordering "Borg cube" status had different flooring, some (nice) oddity on wall structure or something. Every one (except the plain plotters) should be commended.

But special thanks to @Cinderella for grabbing, arranging and posting all those pics! Also, @Mene (DF) for getting the rearranged stone pics up to prevent having to search all over for the one we wanted.

Let's see what makes it to the second round, hmmmmm?

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So far, I'm loving #13 #37 #61 #102 and #116

The first four have the 'ruined' look to them (which I love) while #116 is just a well designed house.

HippoRedux

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

4. Castle Terra by Gucci

My 4 votes going for Dev's #108 :) I love the barn w/attached smithy to put on horseshoes and a hayloft above! Great job Dev!

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My 2 votes are going to #2 "Town Square by Gargio Armani", I really think this type of castle should be amongst the winners and something i'd love to be able to deco in-game... I just keep going back to it :)

1643120501307.png

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I voted for Skaal village , or the Viking looking one. But that was last week before the voting went down . No idea if it counted or not, but I like anything viking or Orc looking ...

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I voted for Skaal village , or the Viking looking one. But that was last week before the voting went down . No idea if it counted or not, but I like anything viking or Orc looking ...
there is still time to check to see if you can vote for it

Nicnivin

Visitor
Plenty of great desings - several really inspired, many of extremely great craftsmanship.
But I had to prioritize any my votes went to 171 "Heorot" and 199 "Hunter's Hold". If I had a castle, I would choose one of these designs, or change between them at some point.

kaz

Visitor
Plenty of great desings - several really inspired, many of extremely great craftsmanship.
But I had to prioritize any my votes went to 171 "Heorot" and 199 "Hunter's Hold". If I had a castle, I would choose one of these designs, or change between them at some point.
Thanks for the vote! Unfortunately my design “Hunters Hold” didnt make the final cut. I suppose it just wasnt different enough from previous designs. Ill try again another time, but thanks for the support just the same!

Nicnivin

Visitor
Thanks for the vote! Unfortunately my design “Hunters Hold” didnt make the final cut. I suppose it just wasnt different enough from previous designs. Ill try again another time, but thanks for the support just the same!
In my eyes your design was definitely underrated. When I entered the house I immediately knew how to get where. And I didn't have to run through half the design or use teleporters to do so. And then I found all the hidden places one by one. Fun.
A solid open themed design, without flaws, really. Next time :)

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why would you say that only that castle is useful? They all are to some extent. It is too much like the regular castle for me.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Why would you say that only that castle is useful? They all are to some extent. It is too much like the regular castle for me.
Same thoughts here. Of these 20, about 5 or 6 appealed to me. I looked at floor plans that would support many chests, large soulforge and other items - not just deco.