• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

My thoughts on what should happen for UO's 20th anniversary

Skalazar

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Haven't seen much discussion on what others think should happen to commemorate this epic occasion so I will share what I think should be done to make this event one to be remembered.

1. General Commemorative Things
  • Remaster the Ultima Online opening cinematic. Would be nice to see it refreshed for it's 20th year.
  • Bring back the original opening chest login screen. After watching the cinematic again players would be hit with a refreshing wave of Nostalgia seeing their beloved original login screen and music.
  • MyUO needs to be restored to its original glory. What we have now sucks the original MyUO was good why can't we get it back ?
2. In-game store addition's
  • Gametime token - for the sovereign equivalent to $20 usd. This will allow players to essentially play the game without paying for an active subscription by buying a token of fellow players in exchange for gold (this system works very well in WoW) and I see no reason it wouldn't do the same for UO.
  • Transmog tokens for hats, shields, robes, shirts, half aprons and cloaks.
3. In-game addition's
  • Weekly PvP events such as dungeon events or open world town battles on (Atlantic, Pacific, Europa and the most active asian shard) could also add another east and west coast server to spread out the players to make the battles slightly smaller.
  • Monthly tournament of champions on the same servers with events like 1vs1, 2vs2, 5vs5 where the winners get a unique title for the month and a small statue engraved with their name and event to display in their house.
  • Some kind of repeatable gold sink, not that it
4. A BRAND NEW SERVER!!!!!
  • This game really needs a brand new server to commemorate the games 20th anniversary. A place where new and returning players alike can start fresh and come together as a community.
  • Should be an Age of Shadows exclusive server with the addition of Peerless champions to help with item customization and content. Also library, museum and zoo turn-in's for resource dumps.
  • This server needs to be FREE2PLAY aka an 'Endless Journey'. Allow outgoing transfers but not incoming. So players that do decide to subscribe can continue their journey on the characters they've built..
  • Make houses required to be refreshed every 10 days or they fall. Add token to the store for about $5 worth of sovereign's to automatically refresh a house for 30 days. (a way for EA to compensate for the lack of subscription)
  • Those PvP events discussed earlier ... yes add them here aswell!
  • Give it an EM team that has no real constraints on the story it can tell.
  • Having an official free2play server will go a long way in shutting down various player run shards of the same era.
  • Allows the players to promote UO better through Twitch or YouTube to help slowly gain new players, instead of all the videos promoting player run shards.
  • Crafting and resource gathering need to return to legitimate play styles which were killed off by duped / scripted resources and imbuing and enhanced loot respectively.

We've lost to many players over the years due to changes people hate (Vice Vs Virtue, Casting Focus, Poison Immunity, Faction Artifacts, Imbuing, Reforging, Enhanced Loot, Taming Revamp, Dungeon Revamps) to name a few. Or simply getting burnt out only to return to a game they no longer recognize.

This server is long overdue and there is literally no better time to launch it then on Ultima's 20th anniversary as the exposure this game gets will likely never be higher. Give at least a month's notice of the servers release so word of mouth can spread. Please don't pass up this golden opportunity to bring some life back into UO. @Mesanna , @Kyronix ,@Bleak

Sauteed Onion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I think they have been absent from posting so much because they are planning something pretty massive. The last time I saw anything from any of them I plead for cinnamon rolls. True story. Meow.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think they have been absent from posting so much because they are planning something pretty massive. The last time I saw anything from any of them I plead for cinnamon rolls. True story. Meow.
I sure hope they are.... we're drawing closer and closer to Sept...

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
We can't have the old days back or former glory back. It is rosy retrospection. We can only enjoy what we have now, our friendships, and make our own fun. The developer is not the one who makes the game fun, we are in charge of that! The glory of Ultima Online and it's true fun has always been in the hands the players.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It would be cool if they added a new mask that turned us into the headless horseman with a lit pumpkin head

I miss the grimm omen

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If they give us new costumes, they need to add a costume-specific slot on the paperdoll and remove the pointless special move/casting restrictions. That would open up a world of RP opportunities with ZERO impact on gameplay.

The slot would accept all the masks, big majik flippers, Barreraak's Old Beat Up Ring and Xenrr's Fishing Pole.

@Kyronix @Bleak

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If they give us new costumes, they need to add a costume-specific slot on the paperdoll and remove the pointless special move/casting restrictions. That would open up a world of RP opportunities with ZERO impact on gameplay.

The slot would accept all the masks, big majik flippers, Barreraak's Old Beat Up Ring and Xenrr's Fishing Pole.

@Kyronix @Bleak
Can I like this X100 please! This has been asked for many times!

transcendent

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
4. A BRAND NEW SERVER!!!!!
  • This game really needs a brand new server to commemorate the games 20th anniversary. A place where new and returning players alike can start fresh and come together as a community.
  • Should be an Age of Shadows exclusive server with the addition of Peerless champions to help with item customization and content. Also library, museum and zoo turn-in's for resource dumps.
  • This server needs to be FREE2PLAY aka an 'Endless Journey'. Allow outgoing transfers but not incoming. So players that do decide to subscribe can continue their journey on the characters they've built..
  • Make houses required to be refreshed every 10 days or they fall. Add token to the store for about $5 worth of sovereign's to automatically refresh a house for 30 days. (a way for EA to compensate for the lack of subscription)
  • Those PvP events discussed earlier ... yes add them here aswell!
  • Give it an EM team that has no real constraints on the story it can tell.
  • Having an official free2play server will go a long way in shutting down various player run shards of the same era.
  • Allows the players to promote UO better through Twitch or YouTube to help slowly gain new players, instead of all the videos promoting player run shards.
  • Crafting and resource gathering need to return to legitimate play styles which were killed off by duped / scripted resources and imbuing and enhanced loot respectively.
I would like to see a legacy progression server. It would make a lot of sense for the 20th anniversary.

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
This post hits the nail on the head!!!!!!

+ option to opt for original music.

OP stated very clearly some excellent and what should be realistic ideas for the big 20.

Fully support this! @Mesanna

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Id also like to add that flooding the game with deco/costumes/useless celebratory bags of ugly art crap wont bring players back or help the game in any way. Provide the player base a momento, sure, but leave it at that and focus on content. Thats my two cents for which its prob too late. Off topic i know just tired of being spoon fed garbage on anniversaries/holidays.

Make us earn some valuable and priceless loot!!

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its the 20th anniversary. They should be promoting it like crazy. Offering deals for new/returning players, open up return to return to britannia. 50% off EVERYTHING in the in game store. In game events/parties etc etc. They should of created a new tutorial / new player experience for the possible new players that might read about it online and decide to check it out....

We will be lucky. It will be a an anniversary bag/box (probably a week or so late) stuffed with items that will be worth zero turn in points and then everyone will moan about the graphics being the wrong aspect/colour or not fitting in with the UO world.

Marquis de Sade 209

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Id also like to add that flooding the game with deco/costumes/useless celebratory bags of ugly art crap wont bring players back or help the game in any way. Provide the player base a momento, sure, but leave it at that and focus on content. Thats my two cents for which its prob too late. Off topic i know just tired of being spoon fed garbage on anniversaries/holidays.

Make us earn some valuable and priceless loot!!
I agree! Make the items at least useful. Soulstone frag tokens and AOS blessed clothing were big hits, not to mention open up x-sharding opportunities.I usually throw away all the commemorative crap anyway