• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

My thoughts on how this could work

projeck30

Visitor
So I can't lie to you as much as I'm scared of what future announcements will be about the New Legacy server, I am excited being a old school Ultima Online player. Honestly March 2020 is the first time I jumped on the official servers in 15 years and I just felt lost and overwhelmed, adding on I was a small fry in a 23 year old economy, and this is coming from someone that's kept up and played Ultima Online for 18 years. So with this new server it defiantly caught my attention for a fresh start, new ruleset and possibly re worked systems. The seasons and building a legacy is very interesting, but I just don't see transferring to a current permanent live server working out well ( in the end still battling the 23 year old economy, ruleset differences, possible skills working differently, possible different weapon attributes and items, all character slots already filled). This is my idea on how I think it could work better, let me know what you guys think.

* So while the first season is running, Broadsword will monitor how many active accounts are playing New Legacy, population growth or dwindling population and get an average of players that they can expect to transfer something off of the server at the end of the season.

* Based on these number for example one server can hold 15k players and they see they have 8k active players, they open up one new permanent server that has the same ruleset, map, skills, systems of New Legacy. Why I think this is a better option? One, you wont be grinding for a year then eventually have to transfer over to another server where everyone is established from 23 years back (kind of the reason why it seems they are making the server), and two, all the new or returning players (current subscription players) get use to New Legacy ruleset then get thrown back to a live server that's totally different.

* You can transfer your New Legacy character/items to whatever server you wish in the end ( I know we have some pixel *****s that want there titles, hues, achievements on their home server), but only New Legacy Seasonal characters can be transferred to this new permanent server or servers. ( again not to confuse players with different rulesets, attributes etc..)

*So now the big questions is, well if there will be new permanent servers just like New Legacy, why play the different seasons. Well for starters, they shouldn't launch the permanent servers until season one is concluded. If you want to be a part of the permanent server you would either A) have to play at least the first season through, or B) wait until season one is over to create a character on that server. Also to keep players going back each season, they should have season exclusive titles, mounts, colors, statues, clothes, achievements, items and tamables that you can only get one that certain season. Like I said a lot of us are pixel collectors ( I know I am), and that will keep me active on the seasons to bring back to my home server in the end.

* As far as houses on the new permanent servers I keep talking about, they should give everyone 2 weeks to finish transfers of characters and items/gold (whatever they will allow) then have a land rush event.

So that's all I really got right now, interested in what you think about this idea. My main fear is players coming back or new players will not want to battle the old economy once the season ends, or after two seasons get burnt out of remaking characters.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I don't see why anyone is going to want to bother doing all the work just to have the server wiped every year.

Ning

Journeyman
Personally I'm a bit intrigued, but also confused. How is it a persistent state MMO if they're going to wipe you out year after year? Seems like a futile treadmill. I'm keeping my eyes and mind open however.

MrSean

Visitor
They are copying path of exile.. it sounds like one of the devs are a fan of that game and wanted to bring it over to UO.

POE experiments every season with major changes on a "new season server", and moves all characters to the old standard server at the end. They also decide based on the feedback if they want to integrate the major changes back to the standard server.

Great in theory, terrible for UO - the appeal of a legacy server is the SIMPLER times. For example, armor had 5 tiers - defense, protection, hardening, fortification, invulnerability. This simplified things for a lot of casual players - you can't implement this classic system if you are going to port the characters back to the standard servers.

So now this means the "legacy" server likely uses the current loot system with insane amounts of properties that requires a veteran to understand, and a script to filter the loot... :(

Gorath

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
They are copying path of exile.. it sounds like one of the devs are a fan of that game and wanted to bring it over to UO.

POE experiments every season with major changes on a "new season server", and moves all characters to the old standard server at the end. They also decide based on the feedback if they want to integrate the major changes back to the standard server.

Great in theory, terrible for UO - the appeal of a legacy server is the SIMPLER times. For example, armor had 5 tiers - defense, protection, hardening, fortification, invulnerability. This simplified things for a lot of casual players - you can't implement this classic system if you are going to port the characters back to the standard servers.

So now this means the "legacy" server likely uses the current loot system with insane amounts of properties that requires a veteran to understand, and a script to filter the loot... :(
I agree. I think going to the old school servers would gain way more traction.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It is when everything you achieved is wiped every year.
Because you can transfer SOME items off like titles/statues or something from what I gathered. You play your game like EM events and things with all the players everywhere consolidated in one place and when the season is over you can go solo/hermit on your server with plenty of housing.

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Just going there for the trophies or items that have my name on them . I could not care less about the rest.

So I can't lie to you as much as I'm scared of what future announcements will be about the New Legacy server, I am excited being a old school Ultima Online player. Honestly March 2020 is the first time I jumped on the official servers in 15 years and I just felt lost and overwhelmed, adding on I was a small fry in a 23 year old economy, and this is coming from someone that's kept up and played Ultima Online for 18 years. So with this new server it defiantly caught my attention for a fresh start, new ruleset and possibly re worked systems. The seasons and building a legacy is very interesting, but I just don't see transferring to a current permanent live server working out well ( in the end still battling the 23 year old economy, ruleset differences, possible skills working differently, possible different weapon attributes and items, all character slots already filled). This is my idea on how I think it could work better, let me know what you guys think.

* So while the first season is running, Broadsword will monitor how many active accounts are playing New Legacy, population growth or dwindling population and get an average of players that they can expect to transfer something off of the server at the end of the season.

* Based on these number for example one server can hold 15k players and they see they have 8k active players, they open up one new permanent server that has the same ruleset, map, skills, systems of New Legacy. Why I think this is a better option? One, you wont be grinding for a year then eventually have to transfer over to another server where everyone is established from 23 years back (kind of the reason why it seems they are making the server), and two, all the new or returning players (current subscription players) get use to New Legacy ruleset then get thrown back to a live server that's totally different.

* You can transfer your New Legacy character/items to whatever server you wish in the end ( I know we have some pixel *****s that want there titles, hues, achievements on their home server), but only New Legacy Seasonal characters can be transferred to this new permanent server or servers. ( again not to confuse players with different rulesets, attributes etc..)

*So now the big questions is, well if there will be new permanent servers just like New Legacy, why play the different seasons. Well for starters, they shouldn't launch the permanent servers until season one is concluded. If you want to be a part of the permanent server you would either A) have to play at least the first season through, or B) wait until season one is over to create a character on that server. Also to keep players going back each season, they should have season exclusive titles, mounts, colors, statues, clothes, achievements, items and tamables that you can only get one that certain season. Like I said a lot of us are pixel collectors ( I know I am), and that will keep me active on the seasons to bring back to my home server in the end.

* As far as houses on the new permanent servers I keep talking about, they should give everyone 2 weeks to finish transfers of characters and items/gold (whatever they will allow) then have a land rush event.

So that's all I really got right now, interested in what you think about this idea. My main fear is players coming back or new players will not want to battle the old economy once the season ends, or after two seasons get burnt out of remaking characters.
Here are my thoughts on your proposal:

Monitoring player activity: Keeping track of active accounts and population growth or decline is a good way to gauge the success and popularity of the New Legacy server. This data can help determine the number of permanent servers needed to accommodate the player base.

Transition to permanent servers: Opening new permanent servers with the same ruleset, map, skills, and systems as the New Legacy server makes sense. It allows players to continue their journey without being at a disadvantage against those who have been playing for years on the existing live servers. This fresh start can be appealing to both new and returning players.

Transferring characters and items: Allowing players to transfer their New Legacy characters and items to the permanent servers of their choice is a good idea. This gives players the flexibility to join a community or server they prefer while still benefiting from their progress on the seasonal server.

Seasonal exclusives: Offering season-exclusive titles, mounts, colors, statues, clothes, achievements, items, and tamables is a great incentive for players to participate in each season. Pixel collectors, in particular, will find this appealing, as it provides unique rewards that can be showcased on their home server after the season ends.

House transfers and land rush events: Giving players a specified period to complete character and item transfers before holding a land rush event for houses on the permanent servers is a fair approach. It allows players to secure their desired housing locations without creating an unfair advantage for those who transferred earlier.

Veldrane

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Monitoring player activity: Keeping track of active accounts and population growth or decline is a good way to gauge the success and popularity of the New Legacy server. This data can help determine the number of permanent servers needed to accommodate the player base.
They already keep this data; it's just not shared with us.

Transition to permanent servers: Opening new permanent servers with the same ruleset, map, skills, and systems as the New Legacy server makes sense. It allows players to continue their journey without being at a disadvantage against those who have been playing for years on the existing live servers. This fresh start can be appealing to both new and returning players.
Extremely unlikely to happen as it goes against the fundamental idea behind the seasonal aspect. They're not going to want to maintain a permanent version of every seasonal server, which is essentially what would need to happen here for your suggestion.

Transferring characters and items: Allowing players to transfer their New Legacy characters and items to the permanent servers of their choice is a good idea. This gives players the flexibility to join a community or server they prefer while still benefiting from their progress on the seasonal server.

Seasonal exclusives: Offering season-exclusive titles, mounts, colors, statues, clothes, achievements, items, and tamables is a great incentive for players to participate in each season. Pixel collectors, in particular, will find this appealing, as it provides unique rewards that can be showcased on their home server after the season ends.
I believe this was a stated goal at one point. However, since we've yet to see anything solid in terms of a roadmap, project plan, or demo, who knows what we're going to be getting

House transfers and land rush events: Giving players a specified period to complete character and item transfers before holding a land rush event for houses on the permanent servers is a fair approach. It allows players to secure their desired housing locations without creating an unfair advantage for those who transferred earlier.
Again, permanent servers go against the base idea behind NL.

Veldrane

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't understand how anyone still believes this is happening
I think the deciding factor is going to be the next monthly news letter - whenever that is. If they announce a push back on Alpha (lol alpha after three years) then it's vaporware and dead. If they do actually announce that alpha is going to take place at the end of June / start of July then it's on life support.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I think the deciding factor is going to be the next monthly news letter - whenever that is. If they announce a push back on Alpha (lol alpha after three years) then it's vaporware and dead. If they do actually announce that alpha is going to take place at the end of June / start of July then it's on life support.
You are forgetting option C.... which is to not mention anything about it for another 3 months to allow speculation :hahaha:

Veldrane

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You are forgetting option C.... which is to not mention anything about it for another 3 months to allow speculation :hahaha:
It looks like they've decided to go with option C :D

At this point, I think we can reasonably call NL a dead project. Oh, they'll release something, but as I've said in the past, it's going to be a slightly updated version of the prodo shard that they have some type of permanent event going on and wipe every year. It will come nowhere near meeting its stated goals.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It looks like they've decided to go with option C :D

At this point, I think we can reasonably call NL a dead project. Oh, they'll release something, but as I've said in the past, it's going to be a slightly updated version of the prodo shard that they have some type of permanent event going on and wipe every year. It will come nowhere near meeting its stated goals.
What is the likelihood that they just keep the charade going though? It's been a solid excuse for lack of content / bug fixes over the past 3 years so it makes sense to ride it out for as long as possible. Look at what has been produced this year so far (we are almost officially 50% through 2023)... a very similar Spring event as last year (without the dungeon) that lasted 2 months and had zero new rewards with essentially the same dynamic champ spawn (different monsters but same exact idea)... but that's ok because they've been working so hard on NL :hahaha:

Veldrane

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What is the likelihood that they just keep the charade going though? It's been a solid excuse for lack of content / bug fixes over the past 3 years so it makes sense to ride it out for as long as possible. Look at what has been produced this year so far (we are almost officially 50% through 2023)... a very similar Spring event as last year (without the dungeon) that lasted 2 months and had zero new rewards with essentially the same dynamic champ spawn (different monsters but same exact idea)... but that's ok because they've been working so hard on NL :hahaha:
The next excuse will be that "Alpha by mid-year" means they have until the end of Summer. After that, I think an excuses get exceptional thin to even the most hardcore supporter

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
How would it even work would we just log in one day to find a new shard TC2 NL ALPHA? Is it possible to password protect a shard?

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i think they'd send you a link to login