• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

My new level of respect for the devs...

U

utilitron

I have always had much respect for the developers of UO, and have stuck up for many of their methods durring some of the harder times *cough durring the Inu story Arc before KR was revealed cough* But over the last few months, and especially the last week, I have gained a new respect for what they must go through.

I have been programming on the side for many many years, and understand what it takes to create a program, and make it do what you intended. Now, a few months ago, I finished up the first version, and released uoskins.com . It was created as a project to teach myself PHP durring the development of another site called sidejobjoe.com - both of which I am the sole programmer.

It was a few months ago now, that a thread was started about new job openings at UO. I applied, and although I wasn't contacted about that job, it gave me the motivation to post my resume, with my programming experience added.

Last week, I left my job as a retail manager to my new career as a developer/programmer for a local company. It has been one of the best weeks of my life, next to getting married, and my daughter being born.

All of the recent arguements over the recent changes, and what not, has really made me reflect on what life as a developer must be for our Devs.So, I just wanted to take a minute, and say: Thanks.

Thanks for pushing through all the wonderful changes, and working so hard to make UO better.

L

Lord_Asterix

That's lovely. The devs didn't make UO better though.

G

Nice going on the career shift!

I've been programming (and a bunch of other IT stuff) for over 30 years. I still get a smile whenever something I did - however small it might seem - makes someone elses day a bit better.

G

<blockquote><hr>

That's lovely. The devs didn't make UO better though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? guess you didn't see the HUGE list of excellent changes about to hit origin at server up and soon to be all shards then eh? Just a single pub of many I am sure will be following in the future.

G

<blockquote><hr>

You must be thinking of Perl.

[/ QUOTE ]
@OO000=("\x50\x65\x72\x6c","\x69\x73","\x66\x75\x6e","\x3a\x29","\x0a");map{print "$_\x20"}@OO000;

G

<blockquote><hr>

You must be thinking of Perl.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree perl is insane, but why would anyone call PHP (also known as the savior or web programming) evil?(unless it a MFC user) how do you feel about Ruby on Rails?

I

imported_Sarphus

Yeah... being a UO dev has to be a lot of work and stressful times mixed in with sheer joy. I can only imagine how immense the UO codebase is. When you consider how big the lua/xml portion of the KR client is; the actual server and client source has to be crazy.

Congrats on your new job. I hope it goes well for you.

G

PHP / ASP / JSP .....all server side web code is good.

About 9 years ago I developed a web site for Sun Microsystems. However, the budget for the servers was never approved, just the developer time.....
So we ended up with an Intel box running IIS 3.0 and used Server Side JavaScript for the dynamic web content and personalization. This was due to Sun wanting us to use as little Microsoft based products as possible.....if they had approved the hardware budget that would noty have been a problem!

Later we had to convert to JSP once the budget was approved.....

If only we had done the whole thing in PHP.....but alas PHP was not yet available.

I considered that a step up from writing PCL5 however.....

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Congratulations!!!

I hates programming myself. I've only dabbled to help my husband to learn what he needed for his BS. And I think those days were the closest we ever came to an all out knock down argument. (we get along very well). And as reporter for here I'm learning HTML, I'm getting there but.... Just that lil experience is enough to make me respect the devs in dealing with the insanity that is UO coding.

Best wish on your new venture. I hope it takes you far.

I

imported_Heartseeker

Your expectations for the Devs must be real low.

While I will agree that their job isn't easy, they are still doing what they love.

Now as far as being a paying customer, I expect more than bug fixes every big patch.

You must remember that we pay the same money, that other popular/newer, better supported games do.

WOW and others, cost similar and have more to offer.(updates, support, expansions.)

This latest patch is fixing things that were already broken.

Personally I don't use pet balls; but like the pet changes to commands.

This game needs KR to be finished, 2D to have higher resolution,new content and new reasons to play after 10 years.

Adding hit points to a Dragon and calling it greater is a joke.

Although it is a change; the devs could of at the very least made it look different via shading or some such.

While some people think the changes lately are fixing the game; $15/month is an insult.

With no new expansions in the horizon, this game should be played for free.