• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Treasure Hunting] My new frustration

Miri of Sonoma

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I have been having a lot of frustrations with fishing and fishing quests. Not having been able to get a scroll above +5, I decided to leave fishing alone for a while.

I'll go dig up a treasure map!!! I need to learn the new method for finding a map anyway. Now I have a new frustration that makes me angrier than trying to fish up gray snappers!! Are the Dev's on a mission to make EVERYTHING in UO as tedious, monotonous and frustrating as they possibly can??!

I found Petra's guide to finding a map and I dont get it! The treasure map and UOMap are not even oriented the same way..how can you overlay them? the treasure map is pointing west-ish and UOMap is pointing north-ish.

And WHY WHY do I have to go through all of that (outside of the game) to find a location in the game?? Get mining you say? I am just trying to dig a hole! I am not mining. Mining should have nothing to do with digging a hole! I am trying this in a relatively spawn free area...if I were in the jungle, I would be dead long before I figured all this out. So now I need hiding too?

I have never been so frustrated with a task in all my UO life :( Someone please tell me it will get better.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When trying to locate the exact spot of a land treasure, some prefer the Enhanced Client as a better tool than the Classic Client.

The zooming feature can come handy, especially when not having any mining skills.

With some practice it should be less troublesome.

zamot

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If the treasure maps would look like the terrain in the mini map like they used to, it would be a lot easier. Since they updated the mini map graphics I have had nothing but trouble myself with finding the correct spot. I have added mining to my template, which makes it easier to find the correct spot. Oh well I now I wasnt much help but I feel better now.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can turn uoam to match the map orientation. Right click on the map, scroll down to map and then untick 'tilt map'
and yes, it will get better.

Miri of Sonoma

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the replies! *smiles*

While I am not a big fan of the EC, I do use it a bit for fishing. I did try using it to try and locate the maps but it is pretty clunky for me if other things are open too. I will keep it in mind as an option.

Petra thanks for the info about untilting the map! who knew! *grins* Hopefully that will make the difference. Although I am still perturbed that we have to go through all of this to find the spot..there has to be a better way! I don't mind doing some work to find a treasure but this is getting ridiculous!

Zarnot..thanks for venting...I know how you feel believe me!

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The proper, in game, way is to have mining. Mining has always contributed to finding a map spot, but no one used it because all the spots were marked. The information about it has been on Stratics for many years.

Miri of Sonoma

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I never thought it made sense to require mining for treasure hunting but nonetheless you are right and years ago I did have mining and even remove trap. But (sadly) now I am not only the digger, I am also the spawn clearer and sacrificing fighting skill for mining might not be an option.

So I will keep practicing your method, I think I have to change to easier (terrain wise) maps for a while though until I get used to the technique.

Miri of Sonoma

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Petra you are a genius! I have done several maps and on a couple I went right to the spot! I was standing on the chest! Woot! Of course I am being very selective about the map I use. Low level (of course) and not in a heavy spawn area and plenty of unique landmarks. But it is working! I just have to perfect it so I can be faster when I am in a danger area.

Thanks so much Petra..you saved my hair! *laughs*

L

LoL/Sonoma

Miri,

The trick i use, if you have an extra soulstone space is:

1) Use Cart to decode all of your maps at once
2) Stone Cart
3) Pick up Mining off your stone
4) dig up chests with mining and enjoy being four paces away!
5) Swap mining and cart again as needed.

This works well since you just have to have the Cart to decode the map ... not to actually dig it up.
-LoL

Miri of Sonoma

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Miri,

The trick i use, if you have an extra soulstone space is:

1) Use Cart to decode all of your maps at once
2) Stone Cart
3) Pick up Mining off your stone
4) dig up chests with mining and enjoy being four paces away!
5) Swap mining and cart again as needed.

This works well since you just have to have the Cart to decode the map ... not to actually dig it up.
-LoL

You have to have the map to find the location don't you? I am not sure I understand what you mean. Are you saying anyone with a decoded map and mining can dig up a chest?

L

LoL/Sonoma

Yes i am. Once you decode it you dont need cartography to dig it up.

Miri of Sonoma

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes i am. Once you decode it you dont need cartography to dig it up.
OK this is news to me. Let me get this straight. You decode the maps, switch mining for cartography and then how do you get to the locations of the maps because you cannot read them anymore?

I think I am missing something *laughs*

J

Jest

I can't speak to the question about swapping via SoulStone, but I run with 51 Mining on my Treasure Hunter and I can find them pretty easily. Though the possibility of freeing up those points via the SoulStone method sound interesting.

L

LoL/Sonoma

Miri,

Once you decode the map you dont need cartography to open the map again. Once it is decoded via cart, it is decoded. Not further cart needed.

Miri of Sonoma

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well well well..you learn something new all the time! My treasure hunter won't feel like much of a treasure hunter without cartography but it seems that this might be a good alternative to Petra's method when doing high level maps and chests in dangerous places (find them faster and you dont have to sit there with your lock picks hanging out while you find the spot). I can see me using both methods depending on the situation....thanks a lot guys!! *smiles*

Miri of Sonoma

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As I sit here decoding map after map, it feels like I just lost another piece of my Sosarian soul *sighs*

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
do note that they have to be decoded by the same person that will later dig it, for the

Decode
Swap in mining with soulstones
Dig

method to work.

Guardian KX

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Miri

After you go to the spot, find the map spot and start digging... Dig for like 5 secs till a dot is on the ground, take a step and stop digging. Mark a rune on that spot and place it in a runebook labeling the rune #1 (for example). Put the map in a bag in a spot you call #1. Then go to the next spot and do the same thing over and over. When you have a nice list of runes with the spots marked and the maps labeled, then take off mining and put on some other skill that you want or need. Then just go back to Rune #1 and map #1, gate/recall to the exact spot, and target where the gate is or where you recalled to. Chest digs up targeting that exact spot and no mining needed. Then rinse and repeat with all the other ones you did the same way.

And as a note people... Those of you having high magery can open Level 1-3 chests with no lockpicking. And if you have 70 fire resist, then the max damage ANY chest can do to you is 90 HP's, making detect and remove trap pointless.

Enjoy.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Guardian: So they've fixed the level 2 chest bug?

I've not done many chests since the changes (taking 15 minutes on average to find a chest location even with GM mining has made me concentrate on fishing), but prior to the loot changes about 10-20% of level 2 maps' chests routinely do over 100 points through 70 fire resist (as much as 158, in my experience).

None of the higher chests were bugged that way - only level 2s.

Guardian KX

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Guardian: So they've fixed the level 2 chest bug?

I've not done many chests since the changes (taking 15 minutes on average to find a chest location even with GM mining has made me concentrate on fishing), but prior to the loot changes about 10-20% of level 2 maps' chests routinely do over 100 points through 70 fire resist (as much as 158, in my experience).

None of the higher chests were bugged that way - only level 2s.
I too remember back in the day when Level 2's were bugged. Back when Golems were new, your only worry was a Oger Lord, and a Tinker was becoming the new T-mapper. That was a idea that was great till they nerfed healing a golem too every 30 secs.

Since they made level 6 maps I havent ever got hitten for over 90 points as long as I have 70% fire resist.

I believe they should make items destory in a chest if its not trap removed and you explode the trap, but who wants to push that "makes sence" ideaology.

As far as taking more than 1 min to find a chest spot is crazy. I dont use UOA but have it for UO Cartographer. It looks exactly the same as the maps you open do. Go you the spot that looks the same on both maps with GM mining, dig slightly to the right and slightly lower than the pin shows and POOF, spot found. Might take a few maps to get the exactish spot down but thats it. People sounding like they cannot find the spot seem to forget that this is a game of discovery. And if there isnt a BIG arrow pointing to something, thens its not worth the time. I'm guessing if your one of the people that had EVERY (200+) spot in the game marked in a runebook somewhere (which are mostly garbage now due to static pin locations)... might have a hard time learning what its like to be a cartographer by actually LOOKING for the pin spot.

GL anyway everyone

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
1. I use that method - that's why it only takes 15 minutes instead of an hour. I even got to the point where I started doing "1-step, dig" grid rows and couldn't find one map - and it finally came up over water, about a pin length to the southeast of the lower end of the pin (though I could still pick it and loot it from the shore).

2. It's DESTROY, not "destory" (that misspelling of yours in at least three different threads has been driving the former teaching student in me nuts)

3. The last time the massive damage from a level 2 happened to me was 2 days before the T-map changes were added - not in LBR (I didn't even start playing until AoS). The 158 points (the worst ever I noticed) was ca. 2008.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember doing a map long ago with a group of guys. We knew the island tht it was on but did not have coordinates for it. One day we went to look for it one we cut kindling off the trees to place on the ground to mark where was searched so we did not waste time going over the same area. Some bozo ran around lighting all the kindling on fire causing us to all gain in camping skill. We gave up that day after an hour or two of looking then went back the next time and used single peices of gold to mark where we were looking. It still took a long time to find the spot and I had to leave the group before they found it so I missed out. I genereally find the spots a lot quicker than that without mining but if needed I will stone off a skill and stone on mining and go back. Lately I just wait for the map to change and try there although I have been having good luck on finding them. The more I do the better I get. I would however appreciate it if they made some better clues for us. Like if you are within a few tiles of it have a different message so that you at least know for sure that you are in the right area.

Miri of Sonoma

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Miri

After you go to the spot, find the map spot and start digging... Dig for like 5 secs till a dot is on the ground, take a step and stop digging. Mark a rune on that spot and place it in a runebook labeling the rune #1 (for example). Put the map in a bag in a spot you call #1. Then go to the next spot and do the same thing over and over. When you have a nice list of runes with the spots marked and the maps labeled, then take off mining and put on some other skill that you want or need. Then just go back to Rune #1 and map #1, gate/recall to the exact spot, and target where the gate is or where you recalled to. Chest digs up targeting that exact spot and no mining needed. Then rinse and repeat with all the other ones you did the same way.

Enjoy.

Thanks! That sounds like a good plan too if I could be that organized *grins*. It is getting a little easier as I practice more but using Petra's method may never work in certain areas (because of spawn in the area). I have enough maps right now to pick and choose though. *smiles*

If they would just make the maps a smidgen bigger or the pin a bit more clear. And as Percivalgoh and others have mentioned, a clue when you are getting close. I don't have a problem with doing some work to find the chest as long as it doesn't involve too much pecking random spots on the ground especially since the way we dig for the map is so awkward to begin with.

I am glad to find out that the map location changes because some of them are under houses! I was out along the shore south of covetous, and there was one tiny little house in the area and wouldnt you know it..the map was under it!!! *laughs*