• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

My house - a work in progress

• Thread starter Dreamz_imported
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
D

Dreamz_imported

This is still a work in progress, and the inside is not nearly finished, but here is the outside of my house minus the back porch that overlooks the bay, and a few corners. Please give me opinions and some advice if you'd like.

Attachments

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really like the arched entryway on the left and the lane of flowers on the right. The silver saplings look great!

M

milk

I love the green stuff you have done. Where do you get those trees. I am very fond of houses that look somewhat realistic and really adds to that classic feelings that UO does so well.

D

Dreamz_imported

I love the green stuff you have done. Where do you get those trees. I am very fond of houses that look somewhat realistic and really adds to that classic feelings that UO does so well.
If you mean the apple trees and the cherry tree, they are from the heritage tokens, the silver trees are the silver saplings from the 12th anniversary gifts.

Thank you Sarsmi. That entry way was my first attempt at using a roof, well the whole house is really. It took a bit to get it right. Once I finish the inside I will post more pics. I just can't seem to decide on what I want done with it.

T

Teeshy

Oh, I think that's a really effective use of the new 12th anni floor tile (who's name escapes me right at this moment) A library/study floor - I couldn't figure out where to put mine - I don't have a space big enough, I may have to redesign the top two floors of my house =)

And I agree with Sarsmi, the flowers/saplings on the right look really pretty =)

D

Dreamz_imported

Oh, I think that's a really effective use of the new 12th anni floor tile (who's name escapes me right at this moment) A library/study floor - I couldn't figure out where to put mine - I don't have a space big enough, I may have to redesign the top two floors of my house =)

And I agree with Sarsmi, the flowers/saplings on the right look really pretty =)
Thank you :) I just hope I have the cash to blow on four of the bookshelves with books one of these days.

The flowers are a pet project of mine and I keep changing them around to find the best combination. So far the one showing is the best I have come up with. I may need to add some more blue flowers since the saplings hide them.

The only thing about this house that sucks though is every time I go into design mode, all the flowers on the right go into the moving crate. I think I am done designing for a long time to come simply because getting them back in is a pain.

T

Teeshy

Try raising them a couple times with the deco tool - should stop them going into the crate I think =) Could be wrong of course, but I think it should work!

D

Dreamz_imported

Try raising them a couple times with the deco tool - should stop them going into the crate I think =) Could be wrong of course, but I think it should work!
I will try that on the next run. If that works, that's one heck of a piece of info to know :)

Tiny Dancer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Very pretty! I love the little yard with the virtue and caos tiles. Was a nice way to display them.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh I meant to ask, is that a shard of the gem of immortality on your pedestal (if so, nice!) You might want to get a little round or square pillow, the shipwreck kind, to stick under it and hue it some pretty, contrasting color. Whichever pillow type centers under it would be nice I think. That would make it stand out a little more, and there's something nice about using a little pillow for your treasured possessions. :)

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
any house design with multiple-level roofing charms me :) lovely home!

D

Dreamz_imported

Oh I meant to ask, is that a shard of the gem of immortality on your pedestal (if so, nice!) You might want to get a little round or square pillow, the shipwreck kind, to stick under it and hue it some pretty, contrasting color. Whichever pillow type centers under it would be nice I think. That would make it stand out a little more, and there's something nice about using a little pillow for your treasured possessions. :)

Indeed it is a Shard of the Gem of Immortality. I got the first one dropped on Pacific. Shortly after the event, someone offered 1 billion gold. I am not sure if that was a serious offer or not, but I did indeed turn it down.

I will try the pillow effect. I've been trying to figure out how to bring more attention to it, and I think that's going to work nicely.

Thank you to everyone who has commented. I am still working on the interior as I find time and I am attempting to not use any wild designs or non item artwork in the decoration. The goal is to make the house actually fit with UO. Not that I am saying some of the others don't as I love some of the creations, I just want this one to be more in line with the NPC homes in the game.

Guess I am a little wierd like that.

Masuri

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just want this one to be more in line with the NPC homes in the game . . . Guess I am a little wierd like that.
I don't think that's weird! I prefer that style of house myself too. There's a trick to replicating the style and I think you've done really well. I think it's about using the old 'dirty' style bricks, stairs with railings not teleporters, real sloping roofs rather than flat modern roofs, the classic rugs, undyed furniture and objects, and maybe even an inefficiency to the space (don't take that the wrong way!) -- the oddly-shaped quaint little rooms rather than a big (if user-friendly) box. The front patio area looks more like something an EM would design (also a compliment!) and it's weird but what totally sells that porch is the cobblestone floor. And the back porch really works too; most people can't consciously design that way because they *know* they're "wasting space", yet many of the classic buildings do just that. It's perfect. The virtue rooftop is icing on a very classic cake.

Really nice job! Simplicity is very complicated... :)