• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Multi Monitor Support?

ErasmusPrime

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hey everyone,

So, I am not sure how easy this might be to do, I imagine it could be anything from a few lines of code to a huge undertaking. I am interested in an option to use 2 monitors. Obviously using 3 monitors is easy, just stretch the window across and your character is still in the center of your middle monitor. However, if you only have 2 and you try this your character and point of focus is dead center between the two which sucks. I would love to be able to put my toolbars, char bars, pretty much 95% of my information on one monitor and have my field of view on the other. Is there any chance to offset the point of view or something through a setting to do this easily?

Maybe a slider bar to offset the point of view incrementally so people with different set ups can just slide it over until it fits their set up how they want?

Thanks!

ErasmusPrime

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Haha. 3 is not that common but it happens. Two has become relatively common over the years. Mostly from people getting a second one as part of a build/ordered combo and just hooking both up.

Here is my current set up.

Attachments

Citan

Project: Gorgon Developer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Hmm... well, I could let you set the viewport size of the camera. That would basically let you make the 3D part of the game only show up on some portion of your screen. The rest of the screen would be blank (except for GUI windows, I mean). Which kinda sucks, but that's about the only way I can think of to easily implement something like that off-hand.

Qyra

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Just use 3 lol, 2 would cause your toon to get cut in half if centered

Qyra

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I've always wanted a game to support another monitor for map inventory group window etc. with just blank background. so that at least your main monitor is uncluttered.

ErasmusPrime

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Yea, the solution Citan proposed would absolutely be a fairly reasonable and functional approach. Especially if it were something that could be done quickly and easily.

I would totally have information windows up filling my entire second monitor if I could.

ErasmusPrime

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I posted an in game suggestion but I thought I would follow that up here.

First off. Thank you for implementing this so incredibly quickly. I am very excited about it.

I do have a few updated suggestions for the further development of this feature. Currently for the sliders, the range is 0 to 1. This ends up giving you only the option to push the image to the right making it so you have to choose the right monitor as your character monitor and the left monitor as your panel/data monitor. Ideally, this slider would be changed to be -1 to 1 so that you could move the picture either direction.

Also, the value of this is somewhat diminished because of the inability to move around tool bars and other aspects of the UI. I realize that this may be somewhat lower in the range of priority for the overall development plan but until I can move pretty much everything around on the screen the value of this cool new feature is somewhat limited. Regarding the UI, I will make another post with a suggestion in a minute but the gist is, please set the UI up in a manner to allow users to customize/edit/mod away.