• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Imbuing] MR property on non med items.

RazicGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi there,

I made a suit some time ago and ended up not using it, I gifted it to anew player but there were people in chat spouting stuff like... No point having MR on non med armour etc.. it was a high end suit and the owner was very happy but question is this. Is there any point having MR on non med armour, people were saying that the mana regain rate, even with MR4 on each piece is very poor. I have not had time to test this but from the calculaters I checked there seems to be a negligble difference on non med and med, how come people were spouting off in chat? Were they just jealous that some new guy got an awesome suit for free?

Thanks.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They were counting in the benefits of the med skill into it.

the formula for mana regeneration starts off with ( (Medx3) + Int) / 100 (but only if one is wearing non-med armor), so you get the benefit of the equivalent of about MR 3 (outside the MR diminishing returns system or caps) when using medable armor.

The people basing non-Med MR still can't grasp that the cap is now 30, not 12, and that it's a lot easier to compensate for the lack of meditation these days - ESPECIALLY for for warriors with access to mana leech. Of course, most of those are the types that think we should go back to LBR or even pre-Renaissance, because they had more fun murdering people and taking their stuff back then.

Last edited:

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi there,

I made a suit some time ago and ended up not using it, I gifted it to anew player but there were people in chat spouting stuff like... No point having MR on non med armour etc.. it was a high end suit and the owner was very happy but question is this. Is there any point having MR on non med armour, people were saying that the mana regain rate, even with MR4 on each piece is very poor. I have not had time to test this but from the calculaters I checked there seems to be a negligble difference on non med and med, how come people were spouting off in chat? Were they just jealous that some new guy got an awesome suit for free?

Thanks.
Plug in your #'s and see for yourself.
http://www.knuckleheads.dk/manaregen.php?focus=0&medi=0&int=100&mr=0

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
from the calculator.

The answer is:

With 0 Med, a non-human character gets an additional 0.05 mana back per second per 20 points of intelligence from passive meditation if wearing medable armor. The base regen rate goes up with the INT stat and focus skill possessed, but the advantage of med/non-med goes up linearly without the med skill itself.

at 20 INT, that's 1 point every 20 seconds
at 40 INT, that's 1 point every 10 seconds
at 67 INT that's 1 point every 6 seconds
at 80 INT that's 1 point every 5 seconds
at 100 INT, that's 1 point every 4 seconds.

A human with 100 INT gets 2 back every 5 seconds with medable armor, compared to non-med.

Actively meditating (have to have medable armor and enough med skill to start meditation, AND not be in combat) only affects the amount from (INT+(3*MED))/400 formula, not from MR. So, the difference between med & non-med is Doubled, but NOT the MR amount. so, at 100 INT actively meditating, you get back 1 more mana every 2 seconds than you would in a non-med suit in combat - provided you could even START actively meditating at 0 skill. I can't remember the last time I actively meditated anywhere NEAR combat in solo play.

The difference only becomes worth even measuring if you're a high-INT character, which most warrior types are not (usually, Dex is first, and STR & INT usually vie for what's left, usually with STR winning out for the DI benefits)

So, a suit of 5 MR 4 pieces is only at a fraction of mana per second difference for a warrior that will never be actively meditating. And, Mana leech (or mana drain) on a weapon will quickly make that difference moot.

Last edited:

RazicGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So in shortI shouldn'thave listened to them and kept the suit I spent 4 days crafting lol! thanks for the input though, I guess I am going to start work on my PvP dexer suit tonight. He does have high INT and STR but is a stealth assassin so I may go for a maxed out refined DCI suit for him, I wont bother with the MR this time though as my mana pool is enough to leave em either eating dirt or if not Iam outmatched and should run away like a cowardly errr... moose?

I have a bunch on invul ingreds saved up, enough for either a ringmail, chainmail, studded or regular leather suit. I will check the stealth numbers and see if I can move hidden in chain mail, would like a chain suit, would add in a studded gorget and sleeves or possibly leather. Thanks for the amazing comprehensive reply.

This sort of post is eactly why I love stratics!

Skelf

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So in shortI shouldn'thave listened to them and kept the suit I spent 4 days crafting lol! thanks for the input though, I guess I am going to start work on my PvP dexer suit tonight. He does have high INT and STR but is a stealth assassin so I may go for a maxed out refined DCI suit for him, I wont bother with the MR this time though as my mana pool is enough to leave em either eating dirt or if not Iam outmatched and should run away like a cowardly errr... moose?

I have a bunch on invul ingreds saved up, enough for either a ringmail, chainmail, studded or regular leather suit. I will check the stealth numbers and see if I can move hidden in chain mail, would like a chain suit, would add in a studded gorget and sleeves or possibly leather. Thanks for the amazing comprehensive reply.

This sort of post is eactly why I love stratics!
Razic,

I have built and tried to play a high mana pool stealth dexer (deathstriker) suit with minimal MR. It doesn't work.

The mana pool in that suit was approaching 180 and although it sounds like a lot, it isn't enough without regen in open play. It would be more powerful in arena combat but there are still way too many ways for people to heal themselves. One Greater Heal potion - which cannot be stopped - will heal 30-40 points with EP. That represents at least one AI and 12-24 mana you will not get back during the fight. Bandages w heal even more and you can't stop those either. The same goes for Confidence heal and spammed mini Heals. Their healing- I absolutely guarantee it - will outlast your ability to inflict damage. You will be a threat for 20 seconds and then your only option will be to run. The only circumstance where this suit might work would be to haunt the edges of PvP battles or Fel Champ spawns waiting for a badly wounded char to disengage and pounce on him.

You absolutely need as high a level of MR as you can cram into the suit. My testing with non-med suits is that they DO interfere significantly with stealthing so I believe that leather is still the only realistic option for a stealthier. Now, if you were an archer, I rather suspect studded would be the way to go for the extra LMC.

RazicGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Razic,

I have built and tried to play a high mana pool stealth dexer (deathstriker) suit with minimal MR. It doesn't work.

The mana pool in that suit was approaching 180 and although it sounds like a lot, it isn't enough without regen in open play. It would be more powerful in arena combat but there are still way too many ways for people to heal themselves. One Greater Heal potion - which cannot be stopped - will heal 30-40 points with EP. That represents at least one AI and 12-24 mana you will not get back during the fight. Bandages w heal even more and you can't stop those either. The same goes for Confidence heal and spammed mini Heals. Their healing- I absolutely guarantee it - will outlast your ability to inflict damage. You will be a threat for 20 seconds and then your only option will be to run. The only circumstance where this suit might work would be to haunt the edges of PvP battles or Fel Champ spawns waiting for a badly wounded char to disengage and pounce on him.

You absolutely need as high a level of MR as you can cram into the suit. My testing with non-med suits is that they DO interfere significantly with stealthing so I believe that leather is still the only realistic option for a stealthier. Now, if you were an archer, I rather suspect studded would be the way to go for the extra LMC.
Thats a very good point, I added inker legs into a temp suit I have and ailed stealthing several times, I am kind of gearing up as a glass cannon but I managed to reforge some MR 4 pieces of leather last night and was luck with bonus mods, one came out with MR4 HPI5 MI 8 SI10 and one resist over 20 and all others are over 10 once enhanced. I might invest 30-40 mil in barbed kits and see ifI can get some more pieces like that one.

My assassin is kicking some but though. I have like 500 skill points that go towards mana reductions, and I use mana phasing orb active as well for adding in extra AI's and death strikes, with regards to the mini heals and stuff I generally try to keep them poisoned to eliminate that, I have fukiya and Shirukens on a hot bar and use them to maintain poison to save on mana, I also try to keep bleed active for interupst and DoT, combined with poison and a few well placed AI's Iusually try to use DS as a finishing move, its always sweet to be able to drop a 15 hp attack then A 50HP kick in the butt as they try run away with darts and starts hitting them all the while. Happy days lol. There are, more often than not though those who stay put and give me a PvP lesson, I learn more from getting killed than winning lol.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Skelf:

For PvP and its artificial caps on stuff, yeah, the non-med suit might not work in an evenly matched fight. After all, both sides are probably firing off specials like crazy.

For non-PvPers using Mana Leech on creatures, it's a completely different story, especially hitting with slayers.

Once again, the Devs made a change that benefits one but not the other (which, is little better than the changes in the past that benefited PvP, but nerfed the hell out of PvM)

RazicGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Skelf:

For PvP and its artificial caps on stuff, yeah, the non-med suit might not work in an evenly matched fight. After all, both sides are probably firing off specials like crazy.

For non-PvPers using Mana Leech on creatures, it's a completely different story, especially hitting with slayers.

Once again, the Devs made a change that benefits one but not the other (which, is little better than the changes in the past that benefited PvP, but nerfed the hell out of PvM)
Agreed,
Last night I was stalking despise rats, I was using my new suit and its got like 20 MR, I have only Joat med and focus but have 80 int now. I was able to kill my mark ( a PvM geared mage:( ) but when i checked my status bar I was down to just 7 mana after my final death strike... Basically if the mage had not been more concerned wth getting away and turned and fought me I would have not had enough mana to finish him (would have used mana orb for the DS though) had I needed to heal using anything other than my potions it would have eaten my offensive mana... Might need to reconsider my tactics....

Thanks guys (and gals)