• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Suggestion] Moving shot

X

XavierGL

This special should take more manna than any other special in the game. Being chased by an archer that can do endless moving shots is crazy, a mage has to stop to cast, heal as does a necro so why is this special so over powered?? There is very little a person can do if they are being chased by one or two archers with moving shot. Like I said if this special was to take a lot more manna to do then it may just even the playing field

A

A Rev

there is this skill.... called parry.rolleyes:
there is, yes

But

A mage gives up say wrestling or anatomy to have a 50% chance of not being hit, then they have to get rid of another skill..usually scribe to fit parry. This reduces the burst damage of a mage, which lets be honest is abuot the only way to kill a healing 50EP pot archer.

Then, the mage has to drop either int or str to hit the 80 dex so once again they lose either HP or SDI/mana.

Then...take into account the mage cannot heal on the run and a full stam full ssi archer can hit moving shots every 1.75s

Then take into account the mage will still be hit a fair amount (roughly 2every 10shots) for around 20, then add spell hit taking the total to around 35-40ish(if both spell and velocity hit)...THEN take into account it takes basically 0 mana for the archer to do this and you get the odds stacked HEAVILY favourably to the archer!

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is true. The choice is damage output or survivability.

You have to decide if you can make changes to your playstyle that will improve survivability, or if the best option is the mana dump.

A key factor in this decision i think would be which role you take in group pvp.

A

A Rev

A solo pvper has to make an ofset choice

The ofset has already been made by losing 120 points in wrestling.

So what your saying is that a mage needs to make this choice but an archer doesnt??

An archer loses nothing by being able to hit 30+ moving shots at 5mana cost

A mage already has used 120 skill points to ofset this.
Even in group pvp an archer has lost nothing for moving shot, they are all gain!

A

Always a Ghost

Don't want to see the special taken away completely, or made useless. However it is way over powered as it stands now. One or two moving shots I could live with but when it's a endless stream it is crazy.

Another idea, how about limit the weapons that co do this special?? For example, why no take this particular special off of a comp bow. Reason being is if and when a mage does stop to heal the archer doesnt even need to change weapons just specials to go from a movign shot to an armour ignor. If they had to switch weapons may even it out a little. Anyway just a diffrent way of looking at things

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A solo pvper has to make an ofset choice

The ofset has already been made by losing 120 points in wrestling.

So what your saying is that a mage needs to make this choice but an archer doesnt??

An archer loses nothing by being able to hit 30+ moving shots at 5mana cost

A mage already has used 120 skill points to ofset this.
Even in group pvp an archer has lost nothing for moving shot, they are all gain!
You could use a mage weap and save those points for parry. There are several ways to skin this cat.

And your mana cost figure is incorrect, or I would love to know how you got a cost of 5.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You could use a mage weap and save those points for parry. There are several ways to skin this cat.

And your mana cost figure is incorrect, or I would love to know how you got a cost of 5.
Actually it is pretty close... My fencer/archer has ninjitsu, and the regular mana cost of this special move is 5. If I chain it the mana cost would be 10, but 40% LMC puts me at 6...

I don't agree with Viquire, but I also don't really think moving shot is overpowered.

@ Viquire - People shouldn't be forced to play with parry. And your argument of using a mage wep with parry to free up skill points is not really valid because then you can't chug without disarming.

@ Xavier - The only way someone is going to do huge moving shot damage is with a heavy. Even on my 185 stam archer with my 40 ssi heavy it is very easy to cast a gheal in between the slow shots. If someone is using a composite it is pretty easy to just mini heal through the moving shot damage.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey Lynk!

You are quite right. I had failed to factor in all mana cost reductions to my response and therefore owe A Rev an apology.

It was never my intent to seem insistent that everyone have parry to have a viable pvp template. However my assertion that moving shot is working as intended and as such requires no direct attention at this time just because some mages are having problems.

A balanced pvp experience will mean that some templates are more effective than others against certain classes of foe or templates.

The beauty of UO for many of us is that we are not spoon-fed our template and abilities or our gear based on level or experience points, which can at times cause people to feel justified in crying for nerfs that are not required to maintain a skill vs skill equilibrium.

When we entered this brave new world of item based combat we also acquired special moves for weapon damage based templates. Prior to this the archer had to be stationary for their shots to get off successfully, but mana and spell based templates complained that playing a "dexxer" was unbalanced because the templates required no effort in the area of hot keys and personal interaction.

Those same special moves have been through the grinder for "balance" at least once, and many of them twice to address the same players complaints that now they were overpowered due to the ability to bring too much dps to the engagement through the use of those same special moves they insisted should be a welcomed handicap in the first place.

Yes, I like playing warriors. No I'm certainly not great at playing the mage, but I'm slightly better than being a five key wonder. Specials did cause me to concentrate more on how my damage is making it to the target, and did mandate that I make room on the char for additional mana and its sustained use.

There are smarter ways to play the mage that while not overpowering in their effect, can make having an archer engaged with a mage much more challenging. This is simply a case where the OP has not thought through all the available options and IMHO should be asking for a hand up instead of a heavy handed Dev team.

By the way, the Lynk that posted the above I would welcome in any thread for shared ideas towards a general improvement of our community, and I thank him for pointing out my shortcomings.

S

Stupid Miner

Why not use a lesser Hiryu, dismount, bola the archer, have the Hiryu attack the archer and remount an ethy, and chase him down?