• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mouse Hole

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'm just curious, does the mouse hole actually do anything interesting, or does it just look like a hole in your wall? Do little mice run in and out? Just curious! :popcorn:

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't tested them, but I would imagine they work the same as they do in Lord British's Castle, and allow you to walk through the walls they are on while in rat form.

B

BartofCats

if your in rat or slime form, you can be teleported down a level of your house but not actually through the wall like you can in Lord British Castle. For Deco its not bad, but kinda useless for function.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Ya, I wasn't really interested in it because it was going to be the UBER 733t Mouse Hole of Awesomeness, I was just curious to know whether it would do anything or not. I'm still definitely going to get it... :)

Thanks for the info!

Wow, getting a flash back... Anyone remember Baba Yaga's Hut from AD&D? I'm trying to remember if that was the artifact that basically gave you a mobile home in AD&D... It's the hut on fowl's legs, that I know from "Picture's at an Exhibition", but it seems to me it was larger on the inside than on the outside.

Wouldn't it be cool of the mouse hole would transport you to a hidden room or cave that existed in another dimension or was completely hidden somehow? There was some AD&D artifact that did that... can't remember which one for the life of me, or maybe it was Baba Yaga's Hut?

S

Sunrise

Time to dust off the Old D@D Books. I think you are right but Im not sure.

K

K'torr

Ya, I wasn't really interested in it because it was going to be the UBER 733t Mouse Hole of Awesomeness, I was just curious to know whether it would do anything or not. I'm still definitely going to get it... :)

Thanks for the info!

Wow, getting a flash back... Anyone remember Baba Yaga's Hut from AD&D? I'm trying to remember if that was the artifact that basically gave you a mobile home in AD&D... It's the hut on fowl's legs, that I know from "Picture's at an Exhibition", but it seems to me it was larger on the inside than on the outside.

Wouldn't it be cool of the mouse hole would transport you to a hidden room or cave that existed in another dimension or was completely hidden somehow? There was some AD&D artifact that did that... can't remember which one for the life of me, or maybe it was Baba Yaga's Hut?
Baba Yaga's hut is like Dr. Who's TARDIS. One small house on the outside, many rooms inside.

E

Evilminion

And it's got CHICKEN LEGS! (*obligatory Invader Zim quote*)

T

Trebr Drab

It was on stilts, wasn't it? Something on that order, maybe a barrel, in this game would be pretty cool. I'd hope that other players couldn't pick it up though, I'd hate to come out in another players backpack. Unless the player in question has been script looting, of course. heh.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Portable Hole! Maybe that's what I'm trying to remember... :)

L

love2winalot

go to test center and get a mouse hole, and place it. Then come back and tell us you will still get it. Unless placed on a white background/wall, YOU CAN NOT EVEN BARLEY SEE IT. :(

K

Kensai Tsunami

beer-vision!
barley?
ha

...sorry i just couldnt resist!

4gregu

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The yeast you could do is stop with the lame beer jokes.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
...and there was much groaning...

SO WAS THERE SUCH A THING AS A PORTABLE HOLE? It might have just been one of those inside jokes my D&D buddies had...

K

K'torr

...and there was much groaning...

SO WAS THERE SUCH A THING AS A PORTABLE HOLE? It might have just been one of those inside jokes my D&D buddies had...
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

In Dungeons & Dragons and in cartoon physics, a portable hole is a magical device that can be used to contravene the normal laws of physics. It resembles a circular black cloth that could be placed on a surface to create a hole. If placed on a wall, the user could then crawl through the hole and come out on the other side. If placed on the ground, the user could place objects in the ground or allow enemies to fall in, as if he had dug a hole, and then remove the portable hole, causing them to be buried where the hole was placed (though depending on the work of fiction, an object placed into the portable hole may stay inside the specific hole even when the hole itself is moved, functioning more like a bag of holding). Players could also use them as foxholes if they wished.

Dungeons & Dragons

Early Editions

Portable holes were categorized by the circumference of their opening and their depth. Thus, a hole with a 1 foot circumference and 3 foot depth wouldn’t be suitable for breaching a wall, but perfectly fine for burying or extracting some small treasure.

Some Dungeon Masters allowed them to be used as weapons, saying that if the hole was affixed to a living being it would cause whatever innards it covered to spill out. Also, a living being put into the ground via a portable hole would be buried alive and die of suffocation.

Like a bag of holding, other portable holes, bags of holding or extra dimensional spaces placed in it would cause catastrophic results at the DM’s discretion. For example, a portable hole placed in a bag of holding might tear the bag, turning it into a bag of devouring.

In 1995, Issue 221 of Dragon magazine included an article "(More Than) 101 Uses for a Portable Hole" that discussed various approaches to the physics of a Portable Hole as well as listing innovative uses (a telescoping tower, portable apartment or workshop, connecting two to form a "tunnel," etc.) to which such a device might be put.

Third Edition

In D&D 3.0 and 3.5, a Portable Hole placed on a flat surface did not open into the space behind it, but rather an extradimensional space 10 feet deep and as wide as the Hole (generally 6 feet in diameter). Every Portable Hole has its own particular extradimensional space. Anything placed inside this space remains there when the Hole is closed, and can be retrieved when the Hole is again placed on a flat surface. The extradimensional space when closed contains enough air for one Medium creature to survive for 10 minutes.

If a bag of holding is placed inside a portable hole, a rift to the Astral Plane is formed. This rift sucks in the bag and the hole, and they are lost forever.

If a portable hole is placed within the bag, it instead opens a gate to the Astral plane, sucking in every creature in a 10 foot radius, and destroying both the bag and hole. The contents of the bags are either scattered throughout the Astral Plane or destroyed.

C

Connor_Graham

I've got a 'ole in me pocket...

*wonders who will get THAT reference...*

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Jarlaxle carries a Portable Hole under the brim of his hat in Forgotten Realms books. I remember a Forgotten Realms book series (Windwalker?) that had a house walking around on chicken legs. Fyodor thought the amulet that would control his Berserker Rages was in it, if i remember right. Been awhile since i read that series.

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
go to test center and get a mouse hole, and place it. Then come back and tell us you will still get it. Unless placed on a white background/wall, YOU CAN NOT EVEN BARLEY SEE IT. :(

yes it should be bigger and I wish you could walk through it like the ones in the castle. Or maybe if you have more then one teleport you to a different one in another room.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'm glad to see that I am losing my mind, but it no conventional way.

God, there IS a PORTABLE HOLE!!! *shakes fist at heavens*

...and I didn't get the "I've got a 'ole in me pocket" reference... :D

You know, I should have known Wikipedia would have an article.

Oh and BTW:postpics:of the hole.
Someone has been dying to use that smiliezilla since they first saw it...