• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Most Budget friendly samp

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
I like to think of cheap ways to reach a high level and I think a mace samp might be one of the best ways to get everything you need and not break the bank.

I think the most budget friendly weapon combo is a black staff for whirl wind and a spear for armor ignore. Very solid base damage, excellent swing speed and the correct weapon special moves.

If I was trying to build a high level samp on a budget I would make a mace samp and add 3 leaches, slayer and hit area to NPC purchased and reforged staves.

Then I would use an npc spear with “use best weapon skill” imbued. 3 leeches, slayer and best weapon on a spear. (Reforge for elemental damage as needed)

You can get away with have no SSi on gear if you get 5 SSi from town bonus and only need 150 to swing max speed.

You could craft and imbue 3 armor pieces and use 3 cheap legendary. You can still reach max resists, max str, max hp and 100 damage from armor and swing at max speed.

You would be trading off one mod on your armor ignore weapon and you don’t get to use double strike or onslaught, but I bet this would cost maybe 30 mill total instead of 300.

Problem is that no one makes this stuff and sells it on a vendor. Even if you didn’t have a crafter, most guilds would have someone willing to help make this ruff.

Love to hear some other ideas or opinions.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Full crafted suit, hatchet(AI), radiant scimitar(WW), no stat scrolls, no power scrolls, no artifacts. Go farm those champ spawns. Can't get cheaper than that.

Done this having started fresh on multiple shards now. People over think sampires too much, the gear, scrolls etc will come with time you don't need to spend a penny, just know your limits while your gear is not so good.
And when that 120 swords, mastery III primer, cincture, tinker legs, cameo etc drops, you get that warm fuzzy feeling that you did it all on your own.

Of course if you want to jump straight to the top then you have no choice but to throw gold at it.

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
Ah. Very smart. Here I am thinking I’m fancy with mixing fencing and mace. I guess this is why no one uses these!! Swords is just too attractive

The faster swords weapons get the job done and also don’t require SSi. And you don’t need to swap skills if/when you convert to swords.

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I used to just run spawns up to level 3 then bounce. Take the pinks and sell 'em. Weak sampire did weak sampire things, but all it takes is one good animal taming pink to get rolling.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Why not use a double axe instead? Double strike is nearly as effective as AI, and also has whirlwind.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Halfway decent legendary gear is available in enough quantities and at affordable prices today that you can make a mid-tier sampire without having to spend much more than 50 million and be relatively effective. You can also do it without needing much crafting assistance for anything beyond weapons. I'm not saying its going to be a 150 Str 210 Stam all bone 55 LMC uber build - but the affordability of making a sampire is the best it has even been - even with the inflated prices of today.

Having said that, if cost is a long term concern, I wouldn't necessarily suggest macing or fencing for a new player. By all means, there are capable weapons that can be crafted or bought cheaply from the Macing and Fencing skillsets... but if you want to make a character that will eventually be a higher end character, you're likely going to want to move to swordsmanship and have to stone off and work up another skill, likely costing you time and money. And as the OP themselves said... macing and fencing weapons are likely going to be tougher to come by if you're relying on player vendors and don't necessarily have a guild or crafting friend that can lend a hand.

Going the Macing or Fencing route isn't impossible by any means - I am someone who loves build diversity - but I wouldn't tag it as a more affordable or new-player-friendly type option.

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
Agree with the stuff posted here for sure.

I used to just run spawns up to level 3 then bounce. Take the pinks and sell 'em. Weak sampire did weak sampire things, but all it takes is one good animal taming pink to get rolling.
Running trade routes is one of the best ways for an absolutely butt naked poor character with 1000 starting gold to make money.

Especially with krampus going on now. I ran some the other day and both me and my guild mate got near 1.0 taming pink scrolls. Instant 8-10 mill for bringing 10 floppy hats to Minoc.

This is how I like to jumpstart myself if I start on a brand new shard and don’t want to ask for help. Unfortunately EJ accounts can’t do trade orders, but any new subscribed accounts should take advantage of it.

Deschet

Journeyman
UO Guide says pinks are dropped while doing champ spawns, t-maps, and Corgul. Are they given as a reward for completing trade runs as well? Or killing monsters you encounter during the runs? Curious.

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
They are also rewards for finishing trade runs. You can even use public moongates and still get the same rewards. Don’t have to kill any monsters and you’ll be barely out of town guard protection. Brand new character with no gear or skills can buy a horse and start trade runs. You only need enough gold to buy the items in the trade order.

You can quickly memorize how to use the moongates to do all the runs very quickly. Takes under 5 minutes to do a trade run after you practice a few.

Pink scrolls aren’t guaranteed, but it is given fairly often

Billy Butcher

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Luck does have an effect on trade run quality. I tested when it first came out. Got larger numbers on the pinks and pinks more often with high luck. So I would pick up in tram hit moongate and drop in fel unless the city was VvV active.

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
Luck does have an effect on trade run quality. I tested when it first came out. Got larger numbers on the pinks and pinks more often with high luck. So I would pick up in tram hit moongate and drop in fel unless the city was VvV active.
so it shouldnt matter where the order comes from? Picking up from fel doesn’t help?

also just got the notion that it would be funny but horrible to spawn a krampus in fel.

Billy Butcher

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
For Krampus you have to do 3 non Moongate runs to get 100% on drop before you fight him, so this method would hinder you there. Also not sure if Krampus spawns in fel. The luck check is when you turn in and fel has 1000 luck bonus. I make sure to drop off good pinks before doing next run to avoid loss. So if you spawn a Krampus in fel let us know that would be funny imo.....

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Pinks are fel only i think
On Tram spawns, you can get pinks in the .1 to .5 range. The .6 to 1.0 pinks that come from spawns are Fel only.

As others have said, you can get pinks from trade orders and T-Map chests as well. I am not sure the exact range of how small or large the points will be from those one though.

And don't forget about the fire paintings if you want to load up on them and get lots of .1's !

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
I’ve gotten 1.0 pinks on several occasions doing the trade orders in tram, no lie.
I got a .9 taming pink and my guildmate also got a 1.0 taming pink from dropping off tram trade orders this week. We were both using moongates too for the runs that gave us the taming pinks. (I run them all the way for krampus, but I will moon gate the ones that require a boat)

I might try to spawn it in fel just to see what happens. Might be funny. I’ll wait till later when people are tired of the event.

Kelly Daze

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Full crafted suit, hatchet(AI), radiant scimitar(WW), no stat scrolls, no power scrolls, no artifacts. Go farm those champ spawns. Can't get cheaper than that.

Done this having started fresh on multiple shards now. People over think sampires too much, the gear, scrolls etc will come with time you don't need to spend a penny, just know your limits while your gear is not so good.
And when that 120 swords, mastery III primer, cincture, tinker legs, cameo etc drops, you get that warm fuzzy feeling that you did it all on your own.

Of course if you want to jump straight to the top then you have no choice but to throw gold at it.
I wish everyone thought like this. Doing this also teaches the template so you can understand the strengths and the weakness. You will be better off this way. Reading and understand is one thing...Knowing and practicing is another, the old saying practice make prefect.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think you are better off with going mace 120(around 100-200k), and use a hatchet with UBWS for bosses and lesser stuff u kill with a black staff.
You can't use evasion with UBWS, but hey its not the end of the world.
For this you need 150 stam + 5 ssi.
If you are low on cash, just go VvV and get the crimson + m&s classes for free, the +10 hci talisman is also pretty cool.
You might also wanna have a look at my AMC archer, witch is an end game template, and fairly cheap also.