• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

More quirks when making a healing pet

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This morning I tried, and failed, to make a healing lion.
I think the problem was that he went into attack mode at just the wrong moment while taming. He attacked my earth elemental. After that, he did not have healing when tamed, and I could not get him to have it in any subsequent attempts.

So: new rule: no distractions while taming.

Fun fact: a wild or newly tamed healing pet will have a pack. Thou canst drop things onto the animal and the items go into the pack. If the pet is bonded, thou canst use the "drop" command to get the pet to disgorge them. The creature will use bandages that thou dost feed him with. There is probably a limit to how much thou canst drop onto a pet: likely 125 items and 400 stone, if this is using the previous code. I have not tested the limits thoroughly recently. Dropping spell scrolls onto a pet will not turn it into a mage these days.
The pack will go away the next time the pet dies. Releasing the pet will cause his pack's contents to be collected into a blue pack on the ground.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Knock the health down to really low. Then they move slow. Lead then around and keep them aggroed on you. When you hear the bandage go off check lore, use a macro and your finger to spam tame as fast as you can. When you see blue letters, walk away, but in range, and invis. You a 1 in 5 chance it will be tamed. You have a higher chance if it is tamed it will have healing.

Also there is a trick that if you peace them while they have healing, they will keep it longer, thus having a better chance of getting a healing one.

It used to take me an hour to get one that healing sticks on. Now it just takes 10 mins. Practice!

If you feed the pet enhanced bandages, will they use them?

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
This morning I tried, and failed, to make a healing lion.
I think the problem was that he went into attack mode at just the wrong moment while taming. He attacked my earth elemental. After that, he did not have healing when tamed, and I could not get him to have it in any subsequent attempts.

So: new rule: no distractions while taming..
Tame it, release it, beat it down. Once you hear the bandage or lore and see healing, retame it. Healing will show up. 100% of lions and sabers can get healing.

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
> 100% of lions and sabers can get healing.
This lion didn't get healing again, no matter what I tried. I was surprised. I thought I had the technique down pat.
(Add triceratops to thy list. They're potential healers too.)

> If you feed the pet enhanced bandages, will they use them?
I'm not sure, and it's impractical, since the first time the pet dies, it loses its pack and then thou canst not drop anything onto it other than food and tasty treats and deliciously tasty treats.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Some are stubborn. I've worked a few up to 25 healing and killed them because I got frustrated.

The more you try the better you get.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I had several wild with healing, then the taming disappeared from their ability list (points didn't) when they were tamed, or it disappeared while stabled.

I released each of them, and retamed, and one of them regained and kept healing. Currently working it from 3 to 4 slots.

I'm probably going to keep one of the non-healers, and find a 1-slot feline to train to 2 slots to use the two as a pack of 2 for small stuff.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I wasted bonding potions on Lions with Healing only to have it VANISH the moment I bonded it... After that torked me off I gave up on owning one and walked away. Then I decided what did I care???? Do I really want a pet that does nothing but physical damage anyway??? Decided I really didn't so opted not to waste any more time on it... consider them just a novelty item. Don't have room in the stables for novelties.