• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Moonglow Zoo

K

Kayne

Reading this morning about the fantastic achievement Drachenfels managed on what is apparently a very small shard, lead me to the tamer forum where Tina small has been posting the zoo lists for shards to show which tier they are on.

Here on europa we are languishing at Tier 2 with 2,752,923 points. Would anyone be up for some kind of big taming event where we then try to get ourselves up there on tier 11. I know theres alot of you that already donate but lets have some fun and get our zoo full of animals.

http://boards.stratics.com/php-bin/uo/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=7494934&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1&what2=showflat&selv=&vwhich=

G

For how long?

Keeping the zoo populated needs a concerted effort by a large number of tamers, daily.

It's a treadmill I don't have much enthusiasm for tbh.

yes, Drachs made the effort and filled it. Kudos to them...So have we, once. How many of the cages on Drachs are empty again?

I'm not often negative about something, but I'm afraid these 'collections' are something that fill me with an overwhelming feeling of 'what's the point?'.

K

Kayne

Petra you of all people i didnt expect that response from.

Given that Drach still have tier 11 i would say the answer to your question petra is no cages are empty.

Once the zoo is filled it shouldnt take quite so much effort to keep it that way. If drachs who are an underpopulated shard can keep themselves at tier 11 then why cant europa with its wonderful community spirit.

G

oki, I'll help you fill it, I just don't want to find myself committed to 2 hours a day ad infinitum taming to keep it filled.

G

Trouble is even if u reach max full.... the zoo will empty again and empty quick if it gets left again...its a no win situation that needs a fix....all that hard work will go to waste because the points tier decays over time...

K

Kayne

Theres nothing wrong with it decaying when people are filling it back up. The zoo isnt all about the rewards you get doing it those should just be a nice bonus. The real reward should be seeing a zoo full of animals

I

imported_Tabby Kapak

Lovely idea Kayne! For a long time both Dewi and Invincible Dawn have donated 10 drakes (roughly) per day, just lately not getting to it. Too few hours in a day, getting more active in our guild as well. We still don't understand how it works with Zoo decay, sometimes it drops SO fast?! Do points get erased when chosing a reward?
But from our previous posts on the matter you'll understand we support your idea Kayne!

(Edit: Must add we also feel the decay seems so fast, that nasty "what's the point" feeling does occur every now and then, but want to keep trying.)

K

Kayne

yay go tabby

Im currently donating lots of white wolves to the collection and i spy someone donating Ki-rin.

C

Cat Crimson

<blockquote><hr>

yes, Drachs made the effort and filled it. Kudos to them...So have we, once. How many of the cages on Drachs are empty again?

[/ QUOTE ]

None of them. They are all still full. We have been fortunate with some very generous donaters and some hardworking tamers. Yes, eventually they will decay, and we may or may not be able to keep up the points total. But the main point is we made the EFFORT, had fun, and challenged the negativity about Drach being a small " dead " shard, and UO communities in general being on the downslide.

Try it, you may even enjoy it

K

Kayne

Not sure who they have been but I've seen around about 4 different tamers during the course of today. Go europa lets show everyone what a great community we have here.

G

Unfortunately I´m not able to be online much for the time being, but I´ll drop off some unicorns at the zoo whenever I have time to spare.

K

Kayne

thats great ayara. If everyone does some when they can europa zoo will fill up in no time at all

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not one cage will be empty for atleast 2 more weeks. That will be atleast 5 weeks we will have a complete Zoo.

If you start with speaking blablabla decay blablabla it can't be done blablabla whats the use and so many more excuses not to do it then you have the right atttude and ingredients of failure and achieving nothing.

Instead you should think , ok we can do it, we going for it! Lets teach Drachenfels a lesson how it realy needs to be done! Lets show them Europe has a great community!
Sometimes you just have to go for something no matter what the odds are. Of course, you will need help.

Failing and giving up is easy.

G

I just checked the total as I handed in another couple of drakes
306553 points needed to the next tier. It was at 230k at lunch time.

In other words, everything we did yesterday and this morning has been wiped out.

My personal point total has gone up by approximately 36k points, that's 90 drakes donated yesterday and today. I know several others have done as much and more. If the Europa zoo is going to be filled we need 20 - 30 tamers working on it, not 4 - 5.

G

Frarc, I can safely vouch for Petra's unwaivering can-do attitude.

Fact is, a positive attitude alone isn't going to offset a riduclous &amp; dishearteningly high decay rate...Nor will a positive attitude alone force the Zoo to begin accepting all tameables such as cu sidhes and/or greater dragons.

Like most folks, my funds and my time are both limited. I will, of course, contribute some more of my time to Europa's zoo anyway as &amp; when I am able to do so.

There is no Zoo reward that I do not already have which strikes my fancy. Were there a method whereby I were able to turn-in my current reward points to benefit the Zoo, I'd most certainly do that.

As a related aside, others, such as Amathist, are campaigning hard to have the Zoo decay rate reduced to something less futile. Achieving full Zoos despite the heinous decay rate strikes me as decidedly counter-productive.

G

Taming really isn't my thing I don't enjoy it at all but I've had a bash at it,
after earning 20k ish points taming animals and being totally bored out of my head I gave up.

Instead I've cheated and donated 5 mill gold, we're now on tier 3, we have polar bears in the zoo, 961943 points needed for tier 4.

good luck peeps

K

Kayne

Not sure how it happened but we seem to have gained about 300k in points and are now at tier 3.

EDIT - Thank you Kiara i just read your post.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Keep fighting for the good cause.

Yes the decay is very hard and still needs a change. We could not have done it with very big and generous donations and alot of taming work from people. You not only need to work on the taming but you need to try to find people who are willing to help. Try and find different ways to reach out to people to help reaching this goal. I started with the boards and then did alot of daily rune advertising asking people to help.
We talked to people who came to the Zoo and try to explain what we where trying to do. Even just wearing the Zoo armor i got people interested in donating to get these armor pieces too.

Try to convince more people , talk to people. You have a bigger community on Europe then we have on Drachs. I'm sure there alot more people who can and will help if they have more knowledge of it all.We had several people on Drachs that not even knew we had a Zoo!
We overcame the decay at some point and even moved up to 22.6 million point on the day of the party. But alot of people have to go for it in alot of different way.We will eventualy loose our pets but we can say, we did it!

If you like a challenge, fight the Zoo decay rate and get those points up. All together!

It would just great if Europe and Drach stood all the way on top of the Zoo donation list and beat all the American and Asian shards.

I know you can do it!

PS: Also know when you move up a Tier the decay timer is reset to 0 and the decay will only be 24 hours after reaching the new Tier. If you move to Tier 4 before 24 hours are up you could even avoid another decay.

I

imported_Farsight

I'm a member of the Catskills zoo donation team, and I no longer have a tamer (closed the account with my tamer last week). As you all undoubtedly know, Catskills zoo is usually full, every once in a while dropping a tier or two only to be picked up again.

The thing is, there aren't that many more people on Cats who go through the grind of tame-donate-tame-donate than there are on any other shard. What we've done there was to have fun events to allow contributions to the zoo. The last event that I attended was a day of champion spawns, where we made more gold than I had in UO, and went from tier 8 to tier 11 in a few short hours. And to top it off, it was a lot of fun.

That's the secret, the zoo isn't supposed to be a reason to grind-grind-grind. It's supposed to be a reason for people to get together and have fun, and to give them a goal to shoot for.

On that note, I have recently moved from Cats to Europa (more people on my time zone here, and my lag issues have been fixed, it seems), and will be more than willing to attend taming events, the more creative, the better.

But I won't grind.

G

i will give it some time as its not right that nico's home shard we cant match other shards!

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

That's the secret, the zoo isn't supposed to be a reason to grind-grind-grind. It's supposed to be a reason for people to get together and have fun, and to give them a goal to shoot for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfectly said!

G

oki, idea.

The best return in terms of time spent for points gained is from taming drakes. I was bringing them in from Destard, the far north area, in pairs. My efforts were hindered by the need to dodge or dispatch the wyverns and water elementals that spawn there, also I ran out of mana for casting gate.

How about an event involving:

warriors/mages dispatching wyverns &amp; eles

tamers ferrying the drakes to the zoo?

Crafters skinning the wyverns for horned leather, on beetles, ferrying horned and gold to a bank. (may need to be guarded, will need to be partied with hunters to enable looting) Alternatively warriors/mages skin and loot kills, leaving leather on the floor for crafters to just pick up.

Mages casting gates for the aforementioned tamers and crafters when possible.

At the end of the night gold and leather divided between participating non-tamers? - The tamers will have gained the points at the zoo towards items they can claim.

K

Kiera_II

I'm up for that.

I was wondering where you were getting those drakes so quickly and easily from.

K

Kayne

Petra this sounds like a great idea and i for one would gladly bring my mage or tamer to and help on this one. The good thing is mages can always gate too if needed.

G

I think we could maybe get teams, working at different times, make it a bit of a marathon. I'll start a new thread for it.

But I wish someone else would take over the organising. I'm not that good at that part.

Barian

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

But I wish someone else would take over the organising. I'm not that good at that part.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah.......right.........