• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Monster AI broken?

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure if this is the right forum, but anyway. 3 instances of it happening, all in the Classic Client:

1) I've done several runs of the Eodon spawn on my tamer, and all of the monsters (prior to level 4) will stop attacking my greater to go after me.

2) Also in the Eodon spawn, I've also been aggro'd by monsters that aren't even on my screen.

3) I ended up doing a 2-man Travesty run last night, figuring it'd be a breeze. However, it wasn't. I had set everything up properly and was out of its morphing range...or so I thought. It kept aggroing on me instead of focusing on my pet, which isn't what it should've done. The run went off without any issues other than that, but it took far longer than it should've for a tamer and a mystic.

The first two instances happen in the 4th level of the Turtle spawn as well, but the monsters have AoE poison, which I've come to expect target shifting from.

I've fought some other monsters, and none of them have exhibited this behavior.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Not sure if this is the right forum, but anyway. 3 instances of it happening, all in the Classic Client:

1) I've done several runs of the Eodon spawn on my tamer, and all of the monsters (prior to level 4) will stop attacking my greater to go after me.

2) Also in the Eodon spawn, I've also been aggro'd by monsters that aren't even on my screen.

3) I ended up doing a 2-man Travesty run last night, figuring it'd be a breeze. However, it wasn't. I had set everything up properly and was out of its morphing range...or so I thought. It kept aggroing on me instead of focusing on my pet, which isn't what it should've done. The run went off without any issues other than that, but it took far longer than it should've for a tamer and a mystic.

The first two instances happen in the 4th level of the Turtle spawn as well, but the monsters have AoE poison, which I've come to expect target shifting from.

4th Level of the Turtle spawn is the little volatile cute little dinosaurs/dragons that do some VERY nasty AREA poison... and yes if you are poisoned they are going to attack you too because each time that poison ticks on you it sees you as a threat or a treat. Since you are more vulnerable than your pet it chooses you first.

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I would like to know what changed aswell I have a feeling it is that healing your pet is agressive now if that is what cause it that would realy suck for veterinary ( a skill that did not get any masteries and do not need nerfing)

Or some bosses have new AI

something is different

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
After fighting the Effusion a few times, I can say you are absolutely correct. He spent more time chasing me around then fighting the dragon or RC. Even the key holders were acting weird.

If this is broken, please fix.

If this is considered 'improved AI' - it sucks. change it back.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have a feeling it is that healing your pet is agressive now if that is what cause it that would realy suck for veterinary ( a skill that did not get any masteries and do not need nerfing)
Healing your pets has been considered an aggressive action for over a year now, if not several...

Edit: It was introduced in Pub 82

Healing now applies aggression towards targets aggressors. Example: Warrior A is fighting Mob B. Healer C heals Warrior A and now has aggressed Mob B. (Does not apply in PvP)

Last edited:

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After fighting the Effusion a few times, I can say you are absolutely correct. He spent more time chasing me around then fighting the dragon or RC. Even the key holders were acting weird.

If this is broken, please fix.

If this is considered 'improved AI' - it sucks. change it back.
So it's probably safe to say all peerless now do this, then? Paragons don't do this, nor do any other monsters, except for the Eodon turtle spawn. Granted, I've only done Shimmering once, and I can't say I really remember the battle.

Waitaminute. I KNOW THIS AI. It's the same behavior the Captains in Blackthorn exhibit. I don't know if it was intended or not, but I'm leaning towards it not being the case.

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Healing your pets has been considered an aggressive action for over a year now, if not several...

Edit: It was introduced in Pub 82

Not like this The Monster never changed target to you because you did heal your pet (if that is what cause it )

Last edited:

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So it's probably safe to say all peerless now do this, then? Paragons don't do this, nor do any other monsters, except for the Eodon turtle spawn. Granted, I've only done Shimmering once, and I can't say I really remember the battle.

Waitaminute. I KNOW THIS AI. It's the same behavior the Captains in Blackthorn exhibit. I don't know if it was intended or not, but I'm leaning towards it not being the case.

I think it could be all bosses i see changes in the old champion spawn bosses aswell

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not like this The Monster never changed target to you because you did heal your pet (if that is what cause it )
Actually, some of the more aggressive ones did change target to you due to healing (things in city pieces in Blackthorn's, being an example) it just didn't happen as often as it has since ToL was released. Most of the bosses in Shadowguard have rather aggressive target switching code, much like paragons. Something tells me this has bled into the code for other things, either by design or by virtue of UO being a rat's rest of 18yo code.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, some of the more aggressive ones did change target to you due to healing (things in city pieces in Blackthorn's, being an example) it just didn't happen as often as it has since ToL was released. Most of the bosses in Shadowguard have rather aggressive target switching code, much like paragons. Something tells me this has bled into the code for other things, either by design or by virtue of UO being a rat's rest of 18yo code.
Probably the latter, lol.

And yeah, Paragons do it too, but it's also EXTREMELY easy to work around that. However, I can't say that I recall a Paragon EVER switching targets to me simply because I was healing my pet(s), unless they had AoE spells like Wither (Lich/Lich Lord)

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can not say what the new shadow guard stuff do have not had any time to try that out and i never did bother with blackthorn dungeon but i can say this

It would not supprise me if I have done 1000 peerless and champ bosses with a tamer in a group or solo and not a single time have healing my pet cause them to change target to me if they did change target to me it was some other reason like I got too close and auto defended or they had area dmg or i was dumping spells and paragorns never did change target because you heal them at least never to me so I have no idea what you talk about

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Since the patch my toons have retargeted everytime something agro's to them. Used to be click in war mode stay targeted to your current target until it's dead. Now my attacks don't stay locked on target. Double click spawn next to you hit it once or not at all something a screen away agro's it's now my target? Very annoying when you are trying to whirlwind spawn. Could run up to new target a screen away and hit it but already got 10 mobs beating on me thanks. If there is no longer a sense of control over who my target is why should I play MY toon? So something is amiss with targeting as a whole for me not just the spawn.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Since the patch my toons have retargeted everytime something agro's to them. Used to be click in war mode stay targeted to your current target until it's dead. Now my attacks don't stay locked on target. Double click spawn next to you hit it once or not at all something a screen away agro's it's now my target? Very annoying when you are trying to whirlwind spawn. Could run up to new target a screen away and hit it but already got 10 mobs beating on me thanks. If there is no longer a sense of control over who my target is why should I play MY toon? So something is amiss with targeting as a whole for me not just the spawn.
I agree and the autodefend seems to be unfunctional as well. I'll be standing in a big pile of stuff nothing is autotargeting.... Seems off.

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Paragons will retarget if you move. It's been like that a while. Things like Liches and the Dinos at the champ spawn have AOE attacks that will cause them to retarget to you if you're hit. It's been like that for a while.

I've never been retargeted vetting my pet, standing still, and not being hit by an AOE.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Anything that damages you with area effect will suddenly see you as a threat... this means the little dinosaurs that use that area poison and many other mobs... like Liches who do Wither.... etc...

Been that way for a long time. Best thing is to have Arch Cure and Invis macro'd.