• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Modified taming skill

P

PzB74

I'm back in UO after 8 years...working on a tamer :)

Bought some jewlry that increase taming skills.
Question; If I tame polar bears with a modified skill of 76 will I still gain as much as if I take of the jewlery and tame them at skill 60?

Thx

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
According to the taming calculator on stratics (http://uo.stratics.com/content/skills/anim.php), you have an 82% chance to tame a polar bear at 76 skill, and a 50% chance at 60 skill. Since most folks will tell you the sweet spot for taming gains is 40-60%, you would be better off removing your jewelry when taming polar bears. If you keep your jewelry on, at 76 taming skill you should be aiming for things like snow leopards, panthers, grey wolves, and alligators to maximize your chance to gain.

Hope that helps.

P

PzB74

Ok thx!

I'm new to the concept of jewels and imbued items that modify the base skill.
Obviously gains are measured against difficulty of taming and this will decrease using jewlery.

What is the max taming modifications you can use?
I found a ring and a bracelet that both provides +13 taming and lore.

This means a "bonus" of 26 taming; it truly takes of a lot of taming time.

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
More experienced tamers can correct me if I'm wrong, but you can boost your taming skills to the max with items and be fine - it's not like stealth, where you have to have a minimum of 25 real skill in order to use the skill. There are several taming-related items I know of that will help you (if you're already familiar with these, please forgive me):
Ancient Farmer's Kasa: +5 lore
Mark of Travesty: +10 taming, +10 lore
Birds of Britannia Talisman: +5 taming, +5 lore
Jewelry can have a max of +15 per skill, so theoretically you could have:
ring with +15 taming, +15 lore, +15 vet
bracelet with +15 taming, +15 lore, +15 vet

If you used a tamer adv char token, then swallowed 120 scrolls for taming, lore, and vet, you could immediately have 120 taming, 120 lore, and 115 vet with the right items.

From what I've seen, there is no difference in taming/control success between real skills and item-enhanced skills, although wise folks like Wenchy will remind you that real skill comes in mighty handy if you die and need to control/rez your pet immediately after rezzing yourself. Not to mention there is the inherent honor in reaching legendary taming "the natural way."

Hope that answers your question(s).

P

PzB74

Ah excellent info; so many new items and gadgets, will take me half a year to catch up! rolleyes:

Anyone know any taming vendors - shops in Britain?
Been trying to find shops with Mark scrolls, not seen a single one yet and I have to run all over the place to get around.

My plan is to get skills high enough to get some decent pets that will bring in cash and fund my return to UO. GM tamer is definetly something I will achieve.

Truly weird to be a poor pauper in UO again!

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you post what shard you're on I'm sure there are folks on this board who would be happy to help you get on your feet.

As for buying mark scrolls etc., if you are looking for player vendors vs NPCs, your best bet would be to take the moongate to Luna in Malas. The prices there are typically higher than elsewhere but that is the new Britain these days.

G

gramarye

PzB74, one thing you might find helpful is the skill tutor statuette. This, when activated in your pack, will give messages that guide you in gaining pretty much any skill. I used one some time ago when training stealth, which depends on what armour is worn to gain at higher levels, and found it invaluable. I believe there is also a globe or crystal ball or something which does essentially the same thing but is cheaper. I've never seen this so perhaps other posters could help with this item. Hope this helps and welcome back!

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd take off jewels during taming except if you need to slightly boost your success chance and tame something harder. Keeping your overall skill cap down can also help by maximising your chances of GGS gains.

I wouldn't worry about buying jewellery till you see how your gains go and what you need when you hit a wall. Some folks make a big deal out of the time it takes to train, but it's really not that hard or time consuming. I do a quick bit of taming when I login then tame a few critters before I log out after a hunt etc. Once you hit 85 taming/lore you can control kitsune just fine without jewels. 110 is a good goal for commanding most pets without skill items. 115 or 120 will make it easier to tame high end pets, but unless you really want to train taming that high, I'd just pop on a jewel for taming trips.

If you have a template in mind that will go over your skill cap and require skill boosting items, it's easier and cheaper to boost up the supporting skills rather than important ones like taming. Then you can have more freedom to leave some of those skill boosting bits off because your template isn't totally dependant on them. Ok, some templates don't have that wriggle room, but a lot do.

Wenchy

P

PzB74

Thx for the advice guys, appreciate it!

I'm slowly getting up and running; searched a lot of vendors near Malas but very few plain Mark scrolls. Will have a look later on.

- Making it all on ones own is also a challenge :)
Want a small house asap; is it hard to find spots to place on these days?

Never heard about a tutor statuette, but I'll keep an eye open for anything with that name.

Taming polar bears didn't give many gains after 60 skill.
What I do is to walk around Dagge Isle with 3 Polar beers and tame snow panthers and white wolves; can alternate between these by putting on one or two 13 skill taming ring / bracelet. This puts me right in the sweet spot for both these animals.

Spent 3-4 hours to gain 5 points from 60.5 to 65.8 tonight.
- Is this to be considered good progress at this stage?
Think I can continue raising skills here for some time to come.

Did some mistakes starting this char, skills up to 700 before I understood that would delay GGS gain rolleyes:

This is the template I'm working on:
Taming: 65.8 (110)
Animal lore: 100 (100)
Vet: 38 (100)
Music: 95.9 (100)
Disco: 48 (100)
Magery: 43 (100)

Which skills I need to take to 120 I will have to consider later on.
Not sure what the last skill could be, can use Honor instead of peacemaking and don't really need provo with good pets. - Some resist maybe.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'm slowly getting up and running; searched a lot of vendors near Malas but very few plain Mark scrolls. Will have a look later on.
You would be better off to go to Zento and search the vendors there (middle gate in the Tokuno list). They have better prices and are far more likely to be carrying that kind of thing - well at least on my shard, Catskills, that is the case...