• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Modern day PvM mage build

Mr. Mayhem

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It's been a while - but one of my friends returned and wanted to revamp his mage.

Have plenty of money and resources to build what I need - but need to understand what is the best builds nowadays for PvM?

Used to run some variant of:

Mage
Eval
Med
Resist
SW

I think he also had some SS and necro.

What's a good build to do most of the content. Things like the Doom revamp or roof? What else is fun to do as a mage?

Any insight is helpful. :D

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It's been a while - but one of my friends returned and wanted to revamp his mage.

Have plenty of money and resources to build what I need - but need to understand what is the best builds nowadays for PvM?

Used to run some variant of:

Mage
Eval
Med
Resist
SW

I think he also had some SS and necro.

What's a good build to do most of the content. Things like the Doom revamp or roof? What else is fun to do as a mage?

Any insight is helpful. :D
I love the basic 120 mage med eval mysticism focus sw. Stone form, rising colossus, WoD, plenty of aoe and single target, plenty of mana. High SDI and MR, you can do almost anything.

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

Mr. Mayhem

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I love the basic 120 mage med eval mysticism focus sw. Stone form, rising colossus, WoD, plenty of aoe and single target, plenty of mana. High SDI and MR, you can do almost anything.

Got it. Are there strategy guides on what to do for certain encounters? I.E - Doom/Roof/whatever else I should be doing nowadays? :)

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Got it. Are there strategy guides on what to do for certain encounters? I.E - Doom/Roof/whatever else I should be doing nowadays? :)
I use UO-cah (tamer website) they cover lots of stuff, but a lot of stuff is trial by fire or YouTube videos for strategy

Quickjohn

Adventurer

120 in all those?

Quickjohn

Adventurer

Whatd a good sdi to strive for?

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
My main character is a Mystic Mage Spellweaver and I run the following:

- 120 Mysticism
- 100 Focus
- 100 Magery
- 120 Eval Intel
- 120 Spellweaving
- 90 Resist Spells
- 70 Meditation

I use a Crystalline ring in my build which adds +20 Magery and +20 Focus to bring those skills to 120. I run two different suits with this build - one which uses any items that include Spell Damage Increase - and another which is a little more defensive and has higher mana regeneration and hit points. I generally only switch to the SDI suit when a boss is falling below 30% life to nuke them with Word of Death. I used the Spellweaving mastery. This build is well-rounded and capable of participating in just about any type of battle in a meaningful way.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Just a disclaimer that the mystic build won't work great for something like the invasions where you can't cast RC in towns... at that point you are relying on magery spells and WOD (at the end). Makes solo pvm extremely long and drawn out.

Quickjohn

Adventurer
Just a disclaimer that the mystic build won't work great for something like the invasions where you can't cast RC in towns... at that point you are relying on magery spells and WOD (at the end). Makes solo pvm extremely long and drawn out.
so just replace myst with another skill. dont be a debby downer

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
My main character is a Mystic Mage Spellweaver and I run the following:

- 120 Mysticism
- 100 Focus
- 100 Magery
- 120 Eval Intel
- 120 Spellweaving
- 90 Resist Spells
- 70 Meditation

I use a Crystalline ring in my build which adds +20 Magery and +20 Focus to bring those skills to 120. I run two different suits with this build - one which uses any items that include Spell Damage Increase - and another which is a little more defensive and has higher mana regeneration and hit points. I generally only switch to the SDI suit when a boss is falling below 30% life to nuke them with Word of Death. I used the Spellweaving mastery. This build is well-rounded and capable of participating in just about any type of battle in a meaningful way.
I have a very similar build. What advantage is Resist spells giving you? I have been running protection so that is a negative for that skill too.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Thought about setting this up as well since it doesn't work for invasion type events. What did you replace with. Always easy to flip back and forth with some soul stones. Stone off Mysticism and Focus. Add what? I was thinking Music and Discord.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
The great thing about a Mystic Mage build is that you have SO many spells at your disposal that you can still be very effective without needing to cast summons.

I have a very similar build. What advantage is Resist spells giving you? I have been running protection so that is a negative for that skill too.
Good question.

I will toggle Protection on and off depending on need. So especially when Protection is on, RS only provides a minor defensive boost versus casters. Because this character is my main character that I use as an "all-around, any-content" type of setting, I felt that RS was a bit more well-rounded of a skill choice than something else like Inscription or more Meditation. If I really want more SDI - I have an entire separate suit for that which I can switch to. If I want more mana regen, I have a suit that has 29 MR in addition to the Meditation and Focus I already have.

In short, this is a play style choice.

Mikeltin5

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
i made a necro tamer mage for spawns/invasions/etc a few months back. its not as powerful as a samp but can solo all champ spawns and can duo everything else. a really fun way to mix up the pure mage build

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Nothing to do with be a debby downer; more like a realistic ralph.

The OP was asking "to understand what is the best builds nowadays for PvM " which is not a mage these days (spoiler alert it's a sampire or tamer). If he wants to use the best build using your logic, he should replace myst/magery/eval/med/SW with Swords/Tact/Bush/Necro/Parry or replace myst/eval with taming/lore :)

Kelly Daze

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My main mage

120 mage
120 eval
120 resist
120 med
120 sw
100 inscription

I tried all different skills but this is may favorite!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maldar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My main mage

120 mage
120 eval
120 resist
120 med
120 sw
100 inscription

I tried all different skills but this is may favorite!!

What did you do with your leftover 20 points? Focus?

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You can but I am human so I already get that. I don’t use them.

@Maldar - Using this build idea, might be able to use those extra points for something meaningful if you are able to drop a couple skills (like mage) down for another skill like wrestling or focus if you could use pieces on your suit to boost those skills (or others). Again depends on suit build but if you were to use Crystalline ring you could swap those 20 points into focus and would be at +60 focus with that ring (+20 left over skill +20 from magery swap +20 from ring).

Kelly Daze

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Maldar - Using this build idea, might be able to use those extra points for something meaningful if you are able to drop a couple skills (like mage) down for another skill like wrestling or focus if you could use pieces on your suit to boost those skills (or others). Again depends on suit build but if you were to use Crystalline ring you could swap those 20 points into focus and would be at +60 focus with that ring (+20 left over skill +20 from magery swap +20 from ring).
yes you can that...the problem is if you change your template or you use another ring you will be short 20 magery. Also i can switch the ring to a defensive ring and have some fun in fel

Maldar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes you can that...the problem is if you change your template or you use another ring you will be short 20 magery. Also i can switch the ring to a defensive ring and have some fun in fel
I always stone my 120 skills rather than drop them down. I would rather build back up from scratch than to toss the final, harder to get points. So, yeah, I have a LOT of soulstones. lol

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I always stone my 120 skills rather than drop them down. I would rather build back up from scratch than to toss the final, harder to get points. So, yeah, I have a LOT of soulstones. lol
I do the same. It allows for template diversity later on if you want to make a change. It does involve more money/gold to buy soulstones and more time spent to train skills that ultimately sit on a stone later... but I would rather have the optionality for changing a template in the future.

Kelly Daze

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree, I am not going to drop mage down 20 just to fit a template or retrain to 100. You don't always have to 720 and if you do then add 20 focus

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Can anyone recomend some good gear for this template?
*Updated to reflect the new gear available 8-2-2021*

I save the gloves, chest, and bracelet with 18 sdi to fill in missing stats. Gloves and chest I look for items with +Str and +HP. And if you are lucky you can find a bracelet that has sdi/fcr/fc/str to give you more hits. I'm normally running 135+ hits with my current setup.

With the following list you can reach the max non buffed spell damage increase and still get 30 mana regen. If you want capped resists then you have to give up either the chest or neck slot (5 sdi) to fill in resists/stats you need.

Scholar's Halo (Head)
Pendant of the Magi (Neck)
Protector of the battle mage (Chest)
Hawkwind's Robe
Jumu's Sacred Hide (Back)
Cuffs of the archmage (Arms - Magery/Spellweave build)
Midnight Bracers (Arms - Necro build or just use cuffs if not trying to save skill points)
Enchanted Kelp Woven Leggings or Spell Woven Britches - Legs for Elves only (Easier to get max lrc with kelp woven legs but you give up 2 sdi)
Hook's Shield for 10 sdi.
Yukio's Earrings (for SDI)
Crystalline Ring or Compassion's Eye or Katalkotl's ring
18 sdi with 3 fcr bracelet (add 20 lrc if running spell woven britches)
Wizard's Curio talisman
Tangle for belt slot
Lt. Sash or one of the Crest of Blackthorne replicas for sash slot if needed. Could use a spell focusing sash if you don't need the stats from the Lt. Sash.
sdi spellbook - as high as possible to cap of 50

Last edited:

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
For my Necro/Spellweave/Mage build I run the following real skills. With mods on my gear I'm at 120 eval, magery, spirit speak, necromancy, and 100 meditation. Sometimes I swap out poisoning and inscription, or I'll swap spellweaving and resist spells depending on what I'm doing. Having poisoning improves the effectiveness of the poison and poison field spells and also grants a natural poison resistance which is 20% of the player's poisoning skill. Came in very helpful when doing champ spawns and some of the events that were heavy poisoning. I run the Spellweaving mastery 3 with this build for Summon Reaper and Mana Shield.

Skills-Real.JPG

Last edited:

HippoRedux

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My main character character - Hippolyte - is a hybrid stealth mage/mystic/spellweaver:
120 - magery
120 - mystic
120 - focus
120 - spellweave
100 - hide
86 - stealth
54 - meditation
I used this template for dozen+ years. I was able to stealth to any place (pre hyped up Paragon reveal). I relied on SW Arcane Empowered RC's for offense and hyped up SDI for mystic/SW direct damage spells and WoD at the end. Since the new Tamer/pet training changes came out, I've been using Tamers instead. Since the new dungeon events are so Paragon heavy, I will probably soulstone Hide & Stealth and add Eval 115/120 and drop rest in MED. I run stone form and Protect spell 24/7 so I don't waste any skill points in Resist Spells.

swellz69

Visitor
My new mage build:

120 Magery
120 Eval
120 Inscription
120 Focus
120 Mysticism
120 Spirit Speak

Not sure why Spirit Speak, just for heals I guess.

I will swap in Spellweaving with SS.

zebesquefe

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
i made a necro tamer mage for spawns/invasions/etc a few months back. its not as powerful as a samp but can solo all champ spawns and can duo everything else. a really fun way to mix up the pure mage build
Hi! I liked this build! Could you explain it better and tell us the skills, pets and how you play this character?

tanotan

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play defensive Mage-SW-Tamer.120 realskill in Magery, Eval Int, SW, Animal Taming, Animal Lore, Veterinary. 130 SDI, Medi Armor with MR 30 on Suit and human Race. So I am able to cast very much and keep nearly every "helping" pet alive and I can run all taming masteries without mana probs. Not a pure pvm Mage, but not a bad Mage-SW-Tamer hybrid for best use in pvm.