• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

MMO Elitism - A Major Problem for the Industry?

Muckbeast

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you think elitism is a major problem for the MMO industry and community? I think it is most certainly is, and it severely threatens the continued growth of the hobby. A hobby that cannot attract new members eventually withers and dies. The current culture of noob hostility is frequent comic fodder, but there is a very serious underlying problem.

I blogged about it here - MMO Elitism - A Major Problem for the Industry - but you don't necessarily need to read it to share your thoughts and opinions.

What can we do as members of the MMO community to put a stop to it? Do you think we even need to?

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it is a major issue in most games with how they are constructed. If there is GEAR involved and only certain ways to obtain it, those two things create elitism.

Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done about this.

The games have already been constructed in such a way that if I have "X," then supposedly...I am the "best."

Muckbeast

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it is a major issue in most games with how they are constructed. If there is GEAR involved and only certain ways to obtain it, those two things create elitism.

Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done about this.

The games have already been constructed in such a way that if I have "X," then supposedly...I am the "best."
I think you are right. The game design promotes the elitism.

That is why I'd like to see more game design elements that promote helping new players, or even rewarding people for it. Mentoring badges/achivements and such are a good start.

R

reimaru

ya the game itself can be the fault
but sometimes it's the players themselves can be put to blame
sometimes it's their attitude that causes it, they feel dominant when they opressed the weak

like those school bullies picking on little kids

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ya the game itself can be the fault
but sometimes it's the players themselves can be put to blame
sometimes it's their attitude that causes it, they feel dominant when they opressed the weak

like those school bullies picking on little kids
Yes I completely agree with you.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think you are right. The game design promotes the elitism.

That is why I'd like to see more game design elements that promote helping new players, or even rewarding people for it. Mentoring badges/achivements and such are a good start.
I think it is a combination of the game design and as the other poster put it, school yard bully mentality.

I agree that it WOULD be nice if games rewarded people for mentoring and achievements.

Some games do go to lengths for rewarding on achievements, yet somehow many of those things have still fallen into elitism.

The main problem falls into a scenario like the following:

Person A: I have 10 75 level jobs.

Person B: So I have completed all the story lines and still have 3 75 level jobs.

I could go on, but the point is how people try to distinguish themselves and stand out. Naturally if you stay with one game, you will do more than say other people who come and go.

I used to play FFXI and had myself four 75 level jobs (highest level in the game). However, just because a person has a high level job does not mean they know how to play that particular job correctly.

People play bought accounts, they are adolescents, and whatever other reasoning there can be why someone does not play a job well. Sleep deprivation is also a key in FFXI as there are more people on during the late hours than in the mornings. This is mostly due to the fact that the Japanese player base has an impact in this MMO.

Games like Ultima Online I really feel do not have elitism. At least, not in an individual sense. In an organizational sense, well...there is some issues of elitism I am afraid.

This brings a more major issue in how certain organizations, whether they are called guilds, linkshells, clan or what have you...create a more larger stereotype of elitism and what have you.

This point is essentially due to the fact,that if you aren't in "Y," then your name is mud.

B

Bud_Weiser

I think that it is a players right to play how they want to play, as long as they don't break the rules of said game. If I have better gear and trash talk that fact to a Trammy or newbie, then that is just tough luck if they don't like it.

If it dosen't break the rules, then I will bad mouth all I want. I don't really care and nothing can be done about it.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think that it is a players right to play how they want to play, as long as they don't break the rules of said game. If I have better gear and trash talk that fact to a Trammy or newbie, then that is just tough luck if they don't like it.

If it dosen't break the rules, then I will bad mouth all I want. I don't really care and nothing can be done about it.
I would say I have to agree with you to a degree. I find most people don't use the tools given to them to use within a game. Most any game I have played has a handy "ignore" feature. It is funny how people won't use that though.