• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Missing virtues idea

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We have 3 missing virtues from years... I have an idea on how to use them without change too much the gameplay balancement...

Honesty: actually we have bad players (that harass and cheat) and good player (that play legit)
How to gain honesty? for each year that you will a good player, you earn a level. If you will be caught to afk macroing, harass people, suspended or tagged by gm for everything else, you will lose a path (or never gain one).
At the 3rd year of good playing you will be knight of honesty.
No special abilities is required for that, is simply a "feedback" of the player for the others :)

Spirituality: I think spirituality is linked to the faith... faith in uo is linked to virtues.. so if you have a seeker level in all active virtues you will be seeker in spirituality, and the same for follower and knight.
The reward of the spirituality can be more mana when resurrected instead of 1pt:
20% of mana at seeker
40% of mana at follower
60% of mana at knight

Humilty: for humilty I think the old planned idea can be nice:
http://uo.stratics.com/content/virtues/humility.shtml

Ok, I know that devs will never consider that but I like to share my ideas :p

C

Corwin

I have been yelling and screaming about the missing virtues for eight years now. And that recently posted on this topic and started threads for it twice in the last month. Both times they have died out with a lot of views but not a lot of posts.

EA recently said that if we can come up with a good system then they will add it. They haven't done anything with it for eight years because they can't figure out any relevant content that will make sense to the game.

All that being said, I like the ideas for the first two. But counting on 'young' characters for a weekly gain will not work. Youngs are very few and far in between (even with all the fake new trail accounts to get spring cleaning points).

C

Connor_Graham

IAnd that recently posted on this topic and started threads for it twice in the last month. Both times they have died out with a lot of views but not a lot of posts.
That's because most of us have given up, realizing that they'll never be finished.

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
RTLFC

Actually it was said at the townhall in San Diego that the virtue system was never meant to be "completed" They found some neat ways to use some of them so they were implemented. If you have ideas send them to Jeremy or better yet to the link provided in my signature. It goes directly to the feedback form. And yes they do read the incoming ideas. Maybe not get back to you on it. But Jeremy sorts through them and has an ongoing list.

Ori

H

Harb

Virtues are one of those I'd love to see addressed, and there have been a slew of ideas over the years.

I do like the concept you mention for spirituality of having one of them linked to others, and like the idea of the more you have vested in the virtues the slower each decays. If spirituality is the one chosen to hinge on the others, it's benefits need to be significant. And nope, I'm not talking about balancing anything, it should be a significant imbalance - if derived gain hinges from the combination of all virtues. Your proposed benefit doesn't seem much of a benefit, but honestly without addressing the entire virtue system it's hard to say what might be appropriate, and I hate it when folks criticize and don't offer a better solution! How's this for an "imbalancer:" Reflect Player Damage, 10%, 25%, and 50% :)

I'm not really comfortable with the gain methodology for honesty, and do feel each virtue should add something to play, not simply be an honorary title. It seems to me that placing gains in the hands of anyone, on staff or in the game, isn't the right way to go. Although I can't be sure, I strongly suspect there's been more than 1 GM that I irked, and vice-versa, legitimate disagreements from one or both perspectives! You mentioned being ressurected with a higher % mana as a possible benefit for a virtue, I'd prefer to see one that provides around 1-3 minutes of regeneration at say Regen 1, 2 and 3 by level, to compensate for things like noble sacrifice and using mana to benefit someone else in the midst of a fight.

And humility, I could not possibly disagree more, it was a bad idea then, and a worse one now. Again, I'm concerned with someone else determining your success. It's easily manipulated. And as the other posted mentioned, there aren't a lot of true new players. Most importantly, for over 11 years, I've tried to help both new and struggling players - I don't want and would not accept a reward for it - doing so is contrary to the very concept of sincerely helping out. While I'm on a "survival" theme with the benefits above, maybe do benefits as 5/ 10/ 15 hit points, not subject to caps.

Everyone has ideas on what constitutes appropriate (and inappropriate) benefits, where it gets tough is what do you do to earn the virtue. I agree, one can be "written off" by simply attributing it to the others, but there's still the other two. Maybe "kill points" in scenarios/ quests could take care of another. After that, it gets tougher. And BTW, I hate the idea of simply "buying" one as a gold sink - how mercenary!

Good luck with the thread, virtues are long overdue some attention.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A part of me thinks that virtues need to be completely rethought - that they should be more of a role-playing guide to a character's personality than something that gives you a mechanical benefit - more like the fame mechanic.

H

Hunters Moon

They haven't done anything with it for eight years because they can't figure out any relevant content that will make sense to the game.
That hasn't stopped them before *cough*AoS*cough*