• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Minoc Docks

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Folks, could you please post your links to requests or interactions with your EM's in regards to this request? Any ideas or graphics etc that you may have. I'd like to see us have one place where we can collaborate for this request.

CATSKILLS

Design Idea:

Reasoning for this position was that there is an abandoned building that can easily be converted into a shipwright.

Status: Approved by EM Barnaby, not yet designed or obviously implemented. No further communications on this subject have been made to date.

Requested: October 2013.

TandaBSK

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail, Governor Tanda Knighthawke of Minoc Great Lakes, I had requested a dock in Minoc as well, smaller and near the smith shop, proposed converting that empty building into a proper Inn, and adding a Fish Monger. All were denied. I like the location you selected shown on map it makes a good deal of senses. Close proximity to the tavern, stables, short walk to the rest of Minoc's amenities, as well as being proximal relatively to the mountain range. Good luck!

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail, Governor Tanda Knighthawke of Minoc Great Lakes, I had requested a dock in Minoc as well, smaller and near the smith shop, proposed converting that empty building into a proper Inn, and adding a Fish Monger. All were denied. I like the location you selected shown on map it makes a good deal of senses. Close proximity to the tavern, stables, short walk to the rest of Minoc's amenities, as well as being proximal relatively to the mountain range. Good luck!
Was it denied in character or denied through emails? I know that I have been denied through emails and then the denial was rescinded but explained that it would be a world-building effort rather than a singular effort at the shard-level and then approved in character.... with the stipulation that such a request would take the Crown's engineers some time to plan, design, and build.

Have you had email contacts with your EM, Gov. Knighthawke since your rejection?

~ Sue.

Speranza

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings! Minoc Chesapeake checking in.

Here is the only image I currently have about our current RP arc to get our docks:

The short and quick is our request is "on hold" by the King due to large amounts of slag in Lost Hope Bay from years of smelting ore have created an unstable layer of sediment causing the foundation of any dock to be too unstable to safely build. In order to resolve this "issue" I invited a large amount of Alchemists and others to demonstrate the best, cheapest, and most hilarious, way to remove the slag issue. During our first meet the above happened and we were interrupted by the pirate Holly Bloodhand (from another large overarching player storyline) who attacked Minoc due to me snubbing her during a recent tailoring competition due to a failure to follow directions. The results of the attack was the slag was set on fire! This Thursday we will be doing the actual Alchemy competition to get the fires put out and the slag removal started.

If you want to see the fires, come to Chesapeake and head to The Forger just ask the Guard Captain at the bank for the Forge and he will guide you (don't forget to check out his paperdoll, clothing was donated by citizens!).

TBH I don't have a good idea of where I wouuld like the docks. I figured the EMs/Devs would have the final say so I haven't really approached that head on yet. I do love the idea of having them on the north side so we can utilize that one building. My thought was to put it on the western shore.

the_gooch

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Greetings!

New Minoc Governor of Siege Perilous here!

Im glad i came to these forums as i was just thinking this would be a great idea in game myself. I wanted to put docks in the same location as Bianca and planned on asking the King for this as well. Although after reading these forums its seems most if not all requests are denied.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Greetings! Minoc Chesapeake checking in.

Here is the only image I currently have about our current RP arc to get our docks:

The short and quick is our request is "on hold" by the King due to large amounts of slag in Lost Hope Bay from years of smelting ore have created an unstable layer of sediment causing the foundation of any dock to be too unstable to safely build. In order to resolve this "issue" I invited a large amount of Alchemists and others to demonstrate the best, cheapest, and most hilarious, way to remove the slag issue. During our first meet the above happened and we were interrupted by the pirate Holly Bloodhand (from another large overarching player storyline) who attacked Minoc due to me snubbing her during a recent tailoring competition due to a failure to follow directions. The results of the attack was the slag was set on fire! This Thursday we will be doing the actual Alchemy competition to get the fires put out and the slag removal started.

If you want to see the fires, come to Chesapeake and head to The Forger just ask the Guard Captain at the bank for the Forge and he will guide you (don't forget to check out his paperdoll, clothing was donated by citizens!).

TBH I don't have a good idea of where I wouuld like the docks. I figured the EMs/Devs would have the final say so I haven't really approached that head on yet. I do love the idea of having them on the north side so we can utilize that one building. My thought was to put it on the western shore.
This is pretty neat! As I've mentioned elsewhere, adding something like docks requires a world building change that we are still not equipped to handle until our transition to Broadsword is fully complete over the coming weeks. After that the plan is to add docks to a variety of Cities that do not have them while giving each shard's Event Moderators, Governors, and players, time enough to have some fun with getting these additions made.

TandaBSK

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That is indeed awesome news Kyronix. I know personally Minoc Great Lakes would welcome the task of materials gathering. Right now our little corner of the world is plagued by pirates and drow causing havoc in most Crown cities. A spider exterminator might be good *laughs* and I'm kidding of course.

Bianca, I have been in contact with our EMs, the rejection was both in game and email, referral was given to a codex of sorts that they are capable of doing which all involve temporary timed improvements for the duration of an event.

I understand a little bit of the magnitude global changes would bring to developing, art, the map etc. I am wondering if say all of us Governors agreed with such locations if it would simplify things? Most of us are reasonable people *grins* the majority of the time.

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
/bump

Unfortunately my dear friend Bianca (aka Ariana Erikkson) lost her bid for Governor, but I think this idea still should see full support.

@Kyronix --- now that you guys have transitioned over to Broadsword, do we have any status update on this effort for Minoc (and other cities as you mentioned)?

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
/bump

Unfortunately my dear friend Bianca (aka Ariana Erikkson) lost her bid for Governor, but I think this idea still should see full support.

@Kyronix --- now that you guys have transitioned over to Broadsword, do we have any status update on this effort for Minoc (and other cities as you mentioned)?
It's still on the list, as you can imagine the list is very long. Right now Vice and Virtue is the priority, once that is complete there may be some time to squeeze in some world building. Not promising anything, but we haven't forgotten!

Pandora_CoD

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thank you so much for the update, Kyronix. You do not know how much that means to us players... that's we're not forgotten about. :)

Speranza

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's still on the list, as you can imagine the list is very long. Right now Vice and Virtue is the priority, once that is complete there may be some time to squeeze in some world building. Not promising anything, but we haven't forgotten!
(NECROMANCY INITIATED)
Hey Kyronix, VvV is out! Can we get an update on this? Lots of Love!

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Same deal. :D
Yay! While you're in a world building mood, how about an officer stationed at the Jhelom docks for privateers? Sailing to and from the Valorian Seas, the best pirating area, and the sea market is a huuuuuge time sink.

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The way Yew is designed, it almost appears if a valley was flooded by the sea to separate the west farms from the rest of the city, after founding. In fact, the two town sections involve a lot of hostile overland travel to go between them, which doesn't really seem logical for the travel (especially with the lack of docks). Any chance of a bridge or a ferry like Skara Brae, to reunify the town? Even a tunnel going under the water would be nice.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The way Yew is designed, it almost appears if a valley was flooded by the sea to separate the west farms from the rest of the city, after founding. In fact, the two town sections involve a lot of hostile overland travel to go between them, which doesn't really seem logical for the travel (especially with the lack of docks). Any chance of a bridge or a ferry like Skara Brae, to reunify the town? Even a tunnel going under the water would be nice.
As Governor I asked for a Bridge to link the two sections. I still would like that, though I would love a Ferry as well. Anything to make the trip out to the Far Farms easier. Citizens out there have been kidnapped and it's very hard to send patrols out that way. I had to ask the Farmers out there to move into the Inn at the Abby until we can see about an easier way to get out there. Otherwise I can't vouch for their safety since the patrols out there do take a good long while and I don't have the men to spare to station any out that far.

I would be just as happy if the King would have granted us a teleporter tile system to get from the end of the road on the mainland side to the end of the road by the Far farms.

Cephas [V]

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
While in a world-building mood, don't forget to tweak the elevations of the docks in Serpent's Hold, Zento, and others (in Bug Tracking)!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you are into world building you might want to put those missing tiles into Doom.... and there is one tile at least on GL's in the Nu'Jelm Palace that is snow not what it should be. Speaking of snow ..... I'm missing it.

Could we at least get "winter" for the week of Xmas?

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am so happy to see our developers spend a chunk of their time on things like these and our patience over the past year and two months has proven to be worth it. I do hope you guys make these docks magnificent and include some of the pirate/privateering options we see at the "not-so-used" floating docks. I think you'll find much more interest in the high seas if its made more accessible.

~ Sue.

Speranza

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know about Pirates, but I may launch some Gypsy boats. I think it's about time they expand their business ventures to Jhelom and trade less with Bucc's Den and Vesper.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm not so very concerned about being included in the Fish Monger thing... But I just have always wanted a Dock in Yew. It needs a port for the Wheat we need to grind at our flour mill. Wheat from Britain, Moonglow and Skara Brae. It's just something that I always thought was missing. Like the fact that we don't have a tavern in Yew. Though I'm sure the Monks might protest... we need such things what about the guards working hard at the Court and Jail? They need an Inn and a Tavern... someplace to go and relax... Perhaps they head down the road to Skara Brae but it'd be nicer if they could sail there or stay in town.

I'd like to see a guy at the Docks in Jhelom for turning in the Pirates. It's a very long way to sail all the way to the Emporium with a filthy Pirate strapped to a pole on your ship.

Inkboy the Wild

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Hopefully we are able to get the Minoc Docs after the new year, if the developers have time, along with some other minor modifications and enhancements to the city of Minoc. Revitalization is key to our cities, to bring the attention back to Tram. While I will mention this at the council meetings, I certainly hope the Dev's will allow Minoc's dock to be titled after Ariana Erikkson -- I would like to see her name, for all her efforts, placed.

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you Inkboy for the kind words.

I also worked with other Governors of Minoc while I was in office to get it requested. So I thank all the governors that helped!! Together we are making it happen.

~Sue.

Matthias O'Hare

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I certainly hope the Dev's will allow Minoc's dock to be titled after Ariana Erikkson -- I would like to see her name, for all her efforts, placed.
I'm not intending to disservice the person that worked hard on your shard, but most of the Minoc governors across many shards worked just as hard. I'd not vote in favor of the docks being named after a particular player, that strikes me as a little egotistical.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I'm not intending to disservice the person that worked hard on your shard, but most of the Minoc governors across many shards worked just as hard. I'd not vote in favor of the docks being named after a particular player, that strikes me as a little egotistical.
Um... Minoc Chesapeake had a whole series of player events for docks, and the governor makes the request at pretty much every single meeting with the King. I for one would be really unhappy if the Chesapeake docks ended up with another shard's governor's name... something like that should be shard-specific.

Inkboy the Wild

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I was speaking about Catskills, no other shard and I think it would be nice to make mention of the person whose efforts spearheaded the process or to place, at least, a plague with all (Catskills) persons who were instrumental in seeing the docks to completion. That is, if they ever come.