• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Mining Question

archiv

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just curious with the current random ore system, is there any benefit of mining outside of towns? I play on Siege and do not have the ability to magically transport to a safe hold when I'm full of ore or ingots so I tend to just mine in or very close to towns for the quick access to my bank box. Occasionally I'll play on LS where I can recall if need be, but even there I find it more convenient to just stick in towns with bank box access. Just got to thinking if there's anything I'm missing by being lazy.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just curious with the current random ore system, is there any benefit of mining outside of towns? I play on Siege and do not have the ability to magically transport to a safe hold when I'm full of ore or ingots so I tend to just mine in or very close to towns for the quick access to my bank box. Occasionally I'll play on LS where I can recall if need be, but even there I find it more convenient to just stick in towns with bank box access. Just got to thinking if there's anything I'm missing by being lazy.
From my observations, the mining locations outside of guard zones have a higher number of ore per spot (can dig several more times). I have noticed this both in Trammel and Felucca on LS. It seems to be a greater difference on Siege Perilous. I do not have any recorded data to back this up, but I have been mining on both shards for a very long time.

If you are mining in Ilshenar, several gypsy camps also have an NPC banker and stable master.

LowdownandShifty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Personally, I mine outside town because I seek out Verite/Valorite. When I mine I hit until I find the colored ore type. If it's not Verite/Valorite (or upgradeable via prospector's tool and/or gargoyle pickax) I move along. So I cover ground quickly (read: "too quickly to stay in town").

Mining in town => competition with others/self. I've always thought I experienced lower in-town ore rates simply because I re-mined a spot before the ore was completely replenished.

archiv

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally, I mine outside town because I seek out Verite/Valorite. When I mine I hit until I find the colored ore type. If it's not Verite/Valorite (or upgradeable via prospector's tool and/or gargoyle pickax) I move along. So I cover ground quickly (read: "too quickly to stay in town").

Mining in town => competition with others/self. I've always thought I experienced lower in-town ore rates simply because I re-mined a spot before the ore was completely replenished.
This is partly what inspired my question, the colored ores. It had to be one in a million but I had hit 4 different verite/valorite veins in my in-town loop. Moving quickly with more ground to find the specific ore you're after would be a worthwhile advantage, combine this with more hits and it gives me a reason to follow that mountain. Thank you both for the info and ideas.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A bonded fire beetle and pack horse would pretty much guarantee that you'd never have to stop mining due to storage issues.

The fire beetle alone would give you quite some time out in the wilderness till your pack filled up with ingots.

archiv

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A bonded fire beetle and pack horse would pretty much guarantee that you'd never have to stop mining due to storage issues.

The fire beetle alone would give you quite some time out in the wilderness till your pack filled up with ingots.
Looks like I'll be pulling old Hay out of the stalls and training up his fighting skills, cant have him falling to claim jumpers!