• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Mining - Ore quantities

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I know that no spot generates the same ore for long nowadays, but is the amount of ore generated more or less the same every time after it respawns?

Is it worth to try to locate spots that wield more ore and mark the place?
 

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Not only does a spot always generate the same number of ore, but a spot, when it is colored, will always generate the same ratio of colored ore to iron ore. Yes, it is very much worth it to search out these spots and mark them.

Ore doesn't change as often as you'd think. I think there's a 1% chance that when a vein resets after being mined that it will change ore type, so it is pretty common for a vein to stay the same type for quite some time.
 

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Not only does a spot always generate the same number of ore, but a spot, when it is colored, will always generate the same ratio of colored ore to iron ore. Yes, it is very much worth it to search out these spots and mark them.

Ore doesn't change as often as you'd think. I think there's a 1% chance that when a vein resets after being mined that it will change ore type, so it is pretty common for a vein to stay the same type for quite some time.
Thanks for that! It really helps to know I can travel around and mark nice spots I find!
 

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's one of those systems that doesn't quite work the way the devs think it does, probably from having the dev teams having about 500% turnover since AoS.

Since at least Mondain's Legacy, the devs think that humans have a base x% of getting colored ore, and elves get a 20% increase (while humans have a 10% of an extra ore).

In reality, the chance of colored ore varies by resource square, probably ranging from about 10% to 80%, and stays the same regardless of what the current ore type is (if a site is currently iron only, Prospector Tools and Gargoyle Pickaxes can elevate it to color, and the colored chance comes back into play). Elves get a 20% boost, but in terms of the base chance times 20%. For example, if a human is getting 60% colored ore, the elf will get (60% * 1.2) = 72% colored ore.

Similarly, the number of digs you get from a spot remains roughly the same, only the colors may change.

Many people see a marked performance increase with an elf miner, but it just doesn't feel right to me (given the whole elf = nature thing). I tend to stay with a human miner for RP and load-carrying concerns, and since I mine almost exclusively with gargoyle pickaxes (and using a prospector's tool with it), I get enough ore elementals to compensate for the lower mined ingot totals (plus, it's not as boring).
 
Top