• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Miner's Valorite Map

Pirate Roberts

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are these things worth the points?

I have a valorite large bod to fill and this seems like a viable way to get quite a few ingots.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
You will get between 240 to 250 charges, each charge being one unit of valorite ore (with a very small chance for two if you are human) from them... Considering the low chance of smelting valorite, you may walk out of that with 300~350 val ingots. And I am not sure you get double resources in Fel when using those maps.
So, no, no they aren't.

Pirate Roberts

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You will get between 240 to 250 charges, each charge being one unit of valorite ore (with a very small chance for two if you are human) from them... Considering the low chance of smelting valorite, you may walk out of that with 300~350 val ingots. And I am not sure you get double resources in Fel when using those maps.
So, no, no they aren't.
Thanks for the reply.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
If you have the points, you're better off spending about 6 hours down Blackthorn's to get around 60K golden ingots (and maybe getting 6 to 10 minax arties, if you are very lucky).
Then for 2600 points (600 points more than a val map), you can get 4 golden caldrons, two agapite caldrons, one verite caldron and walk out with a whooping 2K valorite without losing a single ingot to smelting.

Planters

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
What do you mean by this post? What are the cauldrons and what do they do? Do they change the ore or ingots?

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
They change ingots, so you take 3 gold ingots, drop it into the cauldron, and out pops 1 agapite, then 3 agapite to 1 verite, and 3 verite to 1 valorite. All told you can convert 27 gold ingots into 1 valorite ingot, if you're so inclined.

I wonder if the valorite maps don't become more useful if you do all the mining thereof with gargoyle pickaxes. If you get 300 'swings' with a garg pickaxe, you should get 5-7 Valorite elementals too, with 25 ore each. Well, per UOGuide, Valorite pickaxes don't work, so that idea is out.

I totally agree with @BeaIank that 6 hours in Blackthorn's dungeon + another 6 hours of void pool is probably the best yield.

You can also do quite well if you use a Gargoyle's pickaxe + Prospectors tool to mine.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
They change ingots, so you take 3 gold ingots, drop it into the cauldron, and out pops 1 agapite, then 3 agapite to 1 verite, and 3 verite to 1 valorite. All told you can convert 27 gold ingots into 1 valorite ingot, if you're so inclined.

I wonder if the valorite maps don't become more useful if you do all the mining thereof with gargoyle pickaxes. If you get 300 'swings' with a garg pickaxe, you should get 5-7 Valorite elementals too, with 25 ore each. Well, per UOGuide, Valorite pickaxes don't work, so that idea is out.

I totally agree with @BeaIank that 6 hours in Blackthorn's dungeon + another 6 hours of void pool is probably the best yield.

You can also do quite well if you use a Gargoyle's pickaxe + Prospectors tool to mine.
Garg pickaxes don't work with the Vela maps. And you have the chance to burn ore while trying to smelt.
Basically, those maps are worthless for their reward points price. They would be almost worth it if they yield 10 times as much ore.

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Knock off a dozen or so merchant ships in Tok and you'll be swiiming in Valorite

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Better off just mining normally with Gargoyle Pickaxes & prospector's tools in combination, getting the elementals, then going the cauldron route. The problem with the Blackthorn's dungeon method of gold collection is that you got to go down there with your miner, and besides the danger of liches and stuff wandering in, the elementals tend to respawn faster than you can collect/smelt the gold, unless you're working as a team with someone. It's a quick way to get the gold, I agree, but god forbid something happens to distract you or interrupt you while you're doing it (phone calls, texts, loss of network or internet, etc.) while my miner can kill anything short of a copper or Valorite paragon just autodefending.

Menion

Visitor
If you have the points, you're better off spending about 6 hours down Blackthorn's to get around 60K golden ingots (and maybe getting 6 to 10 minax arties, if you are very lucky).
Then for 2600 points (600 points more than a val map), you can get 4 golden caldrons, two agapite caldrons, one verite caldron and walk out with a whooping 2K valorite without losing a single ingot to smelting.
Are you just sending the ingots straight to your bank using a bag of sending?

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
I play a somewhat empty shard, at somewhat empty times. I go in there with some melee character and just leave a pile of ore on the floor, then when I'm "done" in there, I bring my miner in and smelt the ore and take the ingots to the bank.

If you're on ATL, and you play at 8pm eastern... this plan might not work.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Are you just sending the ingots straight to your bank using a bag of sending?
Yes. You should be able to send at least 4K ingots per charge of the bag of sending. Maybe 5K if you are human and has a mostly empty pack.