• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Miner Template

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Hello,

I came back after 10 years and am trying to decide on a template for my miner. In this thread I already had some good help with templates for a couple of characters, but am still in doubt regarding the miner which in an Elf and has currently the following template:

Alchemy: 100/100 (GM)
Mining: 100/100 (GM)
Lumberjacking: 100/100 (GM)
Magery: 61/100
Meditation: 70/100
Evaluate Intelligence: 35/100

The idea is to GM all of the skills, of course.

Now the thing is it seems that nowadays Combat Mining is the way to go and I am wondering if I should keep my gatherer as a Mage or become a melee fighter to kill the Ore Elementals?

So basically the only skills I really want to keep from this template are the gathering skill which I have already GMed:

Alchemy: 100
Mining: 100
Lumberjacking: 100

Leaving 300 skill points open. I might drop Inscriptions as well and work on it in a later stage in a mage character, leaving 400 skill points for Melee fighting.

Thanks for any help!

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Get Magery and Tactics. Use 'Mage Weapon'. The last skill may be Chivalry (to be able to heal and to recall with an axe in your hands). You can buy 110 magery PS cheap.

Chivalry is not needed but it helps to escape from a PK. You also can use EOO when (rarely) encounter something more difficult then an ore elemental (mostly when lumberjacking but sometimes in or around caves/mountains). It also allows you to kill 'natural' (in dungeons) goldem/shadow elems faster. (but I usually just replace anatomy by mining on my sampire when go to hunt those elems)

110 magery
100 tactics
90 chivalry

P.S. Magery allows you to mark runes. This is why I don't replace it by a weapon skill.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On my miner/lumberjack I run the following:

100 mining
100 lumberjack
100 alchemy
120 fishing
100 fletching
110 magery
90 med

Its more of an overflow char where I didn't have room on other templates for some of the skills I just stuck them all on this char. I often swap them out with soulstones etc.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Get Magery and Tactics. Use 'Mage Weapon'. The last skill may be Chivalry (to be able to heal and to recall with an axe in your hands). You can buy 110 magery PS cheap.

Chivalry is not needed but it helps to escape from a PK. You also can use EOO when (rarely) encounter something more difficult then an ore elemental (mostly when lumberjacking but sometimes in or around caves/mountains). It also allows you to kill 'natural' (in dungeons) goldem/shadow elems faster. (but I usually just replace anatomy by mining on my sampire when go to hunt those elems)

110 magery
100 tactics
90 chivalry

P.S. Magery allows you to mark runes. This is why I don't replace it by a weapon skill.
Thanks for the reply!

So your suggestion would be that the template should be:

Alchemy: 100
Mining: 100
Lumberjacking: 100
Magery: 110
Tactics: 100
Chivalry: 90

This would allow me to hunt for any Ore Elementals if I want to, instead of regular mining with a shovel?

I thought I would need Evaluate Intelligence for a mage template, but I guess Tactics works best for the damage? Might be tricky to train it without a weapons skill or does chivalry do that already?

EDIT: The mage weapon will turn my Magery into a combat skill and thus I will actually be a Melee fighter while still holding Magery, correct?

Last edited:

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Yes. When an ore elemental pop up you just continue mining. Your character kills it on auto-attack. Press a key to heal while looting it.

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Yes. When an ore elemental pop up you just continue mining. Your character kills it on auto-attack. Press a key to heal while looting it.
Cool thanks!

What kind of armor and attributes would you say are the most important for this type of character?

As I understood you only do Ore Elemental hunting for the ore and no more mining as it used to be, right? what is the best area/dungeon for that?

Last edited:

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
On my miner/lumberjack I run the following:

100 mining
100 lumberjack
100 alchemy
120 fishing
100 fletching
110 magery
90 med

Its more of an overflow char where I didn't have room on other templates for some of the skills I just stuck them all on this char. I often swap them out with soulstones etc.
I think that's a good idea in case I have skill I need to change eventually. Thanks!

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Where to mine:
Help with crafting a 100% LL weapon

40 lmc, 100 lrc, 70 all res (with protection on), 2 FC, some SI and MI, HCI, DCI, 100 DI, +5 mining gloves (you may use a helm with fc/fcr), some fast axe (depends on your Stamina and SSI)
try to minimize weight