• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Middle Earth for free

S

Seleene

I made a character, but am trying to figure out my best plan of attack for playing as free as possible and not have to grind endlessly for months trying to gain enough TPs in order to get all that I paid for originally when the game was released.

D

Docholiday

MMOrsel's guide is pretty good. My thought would be to try out some classes on a couple different servers to see which class and which server works best for you. Turbine points are account wide such that doing content on different servers or characters will combine.

Or another option is to just hop in and enjoy the game first, then figure out the points later when you need to :)

Triberius

Firefall Moderator | LotRO Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone wanting to hit up Windfola let me know, I'll see what can be done about helping you out.

D

Docholiday

Good point Triberius, adding that to my signature but I'm over on Silverlode :)

Triberius

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I made a character, but am trying to figure out my best plan of attack for playing as free as possible and not have to grind endlessly for months trying to gain enough TPs in order to get all that I paid for originally when the game was released.
I've been doing some math related to that subject, once I get it all in order I'll let folks know.

Really from looking at it now, it depends on a couple of factors...
  • How long you think you'll stay with the game.
  • How many characters you want to play.
  • What limits can you live with.

A

Armageddon

Something that should be mentioned here and is waaaaay overlooked on the LOTRO Forums because too many people made "asumptions" that ALL of LOTRO would be free now and all they can see is red in their eyes.

The Premium tier is overlooked by so many people in those forums. Consider that paying a subscription does get you VIP status with less hassle to enjoying the Shadows of Angmar (SoA) content BUT as a subscriber, VIPs are still only renting access to that content. If they stop paying that sub, they are in the exact same boat as the Free players as far as SoA content goes. On the other hand, Premium players, which are NOT paying a monthly sub, are unlocking content and are doing so for the life of the account. That means it's unlocked permanently without a subscription. The only real choice that needs to be made is whether or not to grind the TP out or buy some here and there from the cash shop. That's one of the beautiful things about the ala carte plan, you're paying them on YOUR TERMs, not theirs. It's basically like a Lifetime account which Turbine has no current plans to reintroduce, whereby you pay once and that's it. Of course there are a few items that can't be unlocked such as PVMP in the Ettenmoors but if PVP is not your bag then the Premium tier for LOTRO is a very attractive offer on Turbine's part. And as far as getting the TP, grind it out if your wallet is tight but also consider that throwing Turbine a bone every now and then is also a good thing. They've produced a wonderful game that does deserve at least some support and that support will just further enhance the great journey through Middle Earth.

I personally have a Lifetime account but I am also building a couple of free accounts up, one Premium and one Free. Some have asked me why multi accounts if I have a Lifetime. One reason is so I can see from the perspective of a free account as opposed to VIP only whenever new changes are implemented. The other reason is, why not...it's free ;)

Valfelan

Visitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
VIP's also accumulate TP's for their loyalty, thus if they skip a payment they still have a premium account and can unlock content as they go or renew their subscription

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's a good analysis Armageddon.

I was able to get my cousin to download it and he likes it (how could you not?). Reason? It's free! I couldn't ever get him to download UO whenever they have the free "Come Back" periods (he used to play a long time ago before me).
Point is, the word "FREE" is powerful (and misleading ;)), but it opens the door. My cousin is even eager to pay some money to unlock the Auction House. I was surprised!

Valfelan

Visitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Free is good and from what i understand you can get to level 50 just by doing certain quests and the skirmishes, there is a lot of content in the lands of middle earth that directly reflect out of the J.R.R. Tolkien books.

D

Docholiday

I think the fact that it is an unlimited trial with no box fee is the best part of it, and really how I think of it. Everyone should realize there will be things you need to pay for, but shelling out for a sub and a box to really try a game is tough for many.

Now granted, I'm a lifer so this doesn't apply for me with LOTRO - but it is how I look at other games and evaluate whether I'll check them out or not.

S

Seleene

I think I am just going to stick to the free part and not even sub (although I may sub for a month to unlock horse riding).

Money is really tight and not looking to get any better anytime soon.

Triberius

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think I am just going to stick to the free part and not even sub (although I may sub for a month to unlock horse riding).

Money is really tight and not looking to get any better anytime soon.
I know that song... Even with it being tight I might scrounge up enough to order the MoM collectors edition, you can find them rather cheaply. That'll unlock a good bit of the content, and if it comes with a 30day card it will give me the "VIP to Premium" benefits.

S

Seleene

I know that song... Even with it being tight I might scrounge up enough to order the MoM collectors edition, you can find them rather cheaply. That'll unlock a good bit of the content, and if it comes with a 30day card it will give me the "VIP to Premium" benefits.
Aye! That's what I have on one of my accounts. I went out and bought the MoM collector's edition for $10 back in February or so and just made a new account to be able to get the 30 days for free.

So I have a founder's account with just SOA on it and a MoM account.