• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mid lvl tamed pets?

M

marcelom

Hey guys using the useful info that some guys told me in order to train my taming skill, i wish to ask you this:
what mid-lvl pets i can use to play the game while i raise more my taming skill and be able to get powerful pets? i am talking about lesser pets than dragons, pets that can be trained with 60 to 80% taming skill. What can i tame? is there an animal that could survive a trip into easy-middle difficulty dungeons?

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi there. According to my understanding, a Bake Kitsune makes a pretty good pet when trained up. You just need 80.7 taming and it only takes up 2 control slots. There is another thread that I recommend you read in regards to this fabulous pet:

http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?p=970146

I was already far past 80.7 before i had a descent pet. From what I read it can take a while before you get a good one, so that's something to consider.

However, I think it's one of the more better 80 skill range pets you can have.

After that, the 90 skill range opens a plethora of different pets.

U

uoBuoY

The simple answer to your question is: use the critters your Taming for gains. A more elaborate answer...

Go to this site: http://uo.stratics.com/hunters/index.shtml
Click the Advanced Search. At the bottom select Required Taming in the Sort By drop-down and then click Search. You now have a list of critters sorted by Taming difficulty. You need to scroll down to almost the end of that list (Cow) before you get to the Tamable critters. The bottom of the list requires the most skill. The Giant Spider requires 59.1 skill. IMHO the first fun pet is the Frenzied Ostard (77.1) The really fun stuff starts with the Bake Kitsuni (80.7). I love fighting with these guys...they hyena-laugh when they kill something!

If you click on any of the Tamables in that list you will see the critter's spec sheet including the range of stats, resists and skills that a particular pet can have. Obviously a keeper pet should have attributes that are on the high side rather than the low side. Then comes pet training where you try to max-out your pets stats and skills. When your pets skills are low they train fast and easy but at higher levels, they grind. This is why every Tamer, IMHO, should also be a Bard. When your Discord you pet you lower its resists and skills by as much as 28% which makes training much faster and easier. I have a fully trained, lowly Blue Beetle that easily takes on several Earth Els!

Peace and Discord really compliment aTamer template. Discord a dangerous prospective pet and when it hits you it hits for much less damage. Peace a dangerous prospective pet and doesn't hit you at all. When you're hunting, use Peace to control the crowd and Disco to quicken the kill.

You mentioned only your Taming skill...remember in order to control the pet you need both Taming and Lore.

Here's a good site for taming/pet info:
http://www.strangeworld.com/uo/prc/prc.php?Section=training

Here's a handy what-do-I-tame-to-gain calculator:
http://www.tamingarchive.com/main/whattotame.php?skill=98.2

S

Sarphus

I can't speak for how things are now, but a pack of polar bears can be controlled at 50 taming and can do substantial damage. That's what I use on new tamers.

M

marcelom

Thanks for the answers guys, very nice info to have in mind

5% Luck

Gaman tanks and scorpions behind for damage. If you take the gaman out of the stable 1st he will almost always be the tank except for failed commands. 70/70 tame/lore should be adequate to control this pack and the scorpians have pack instincts and do poison a lot. So one mount(horse/ethhy) 1 gaman and 3 scorpions will take down titans NP. Just farm up a good gaman high HP and resists all around. Ice spiders are great too.

A bake kitsune is nice but i doubt youll have good control till the mid 90s.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Frenzied ostards are one pet I like when my tamers are training up, the pack instinct does a hefty amount of damage, though you can have casualties with packs at times.

Kitsune are superb once you hit the mid 80's though. 85 will get you great control and 2 kits at once are really good hunters :) Most of my tamers use kitsune as their main pet.

Wenchy