• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

MIB Farming

Endrik

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I now have a 120 fisher, and would like to get into this aspect of the game a little more. Can anybody give me some insight into the best way to collect MIB's? Is it just a fishing grind trying to pull them up when fishing normally, or is there some trick/location/monster that provides a good way to get a lot of MIB's?

The reason I ask is because on my road to 120 my fisher I think I only ever pulled up 1 MIB from fishing. I am hoping there is a better way out there. Any insight you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Throw green nets and kill the krakens. How the $%#@ do you get to 120 and only pull 1 mib? Callin BS on that! Lol

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

pacific cruiser

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hahahah i agree Varingian.... i get all my mibs from just fishing in open water. i also get them fishing while moving to location of a MIB. keep moving and fishing maybe your missing the sea serpent (with MIB) while your moving and fishing. Sometimes i have to stop to let it catch up to me to kill it to get it off the corpse.I do hope you start getting more of them though.there tons of fun to fish up!

pacific cruiser

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hahahah i agree Varingian.... i get all my mibs from just fishing in open water. i also get them fishing while moving to location of a MIB. keep moving and fishing maybe your missing the sea serpent (with MIB) while your moving and fishing. Sometimes i have to stop to let it catch up to me to kill it to get it off the corpse.I do hope you start getting more of them though.there tons of fun to fish up!

Endrik

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm, I have tried the nets as well as hunting Krakens and Sea Serpents in Shame, never gotten a single MIB. I am fishing with my fisher, then killing the monsters on my alt account with my warrior; could that be an issue? Does my fisher have to be the one to kill the monster to get the MIB? Or am I just being mocked by the RNG?

As for getting to 120 with nearly no MIB's, believe it. I got bored fishing for HOURS with almost no gains, so I started just logging in each morning, getting my GGS, then logging out... all the way to 120, and never received a single MIB as a pull from that. Only received one back when I was around GM, but before starting to work the GGS. Went out for about an hour yesterday with my 120 fisher, and still did not pull a single MIB or Sea Monster in that time. Nothing but fish. There must be something I am missing here; do I need to be part of some kind of Fishing Guild or working on some kind of quest? Do I need to be fishing in Fel or only in Deep Water? Just not understanding why I never get these things. How many do you guys normally pull in an average hour of fishing?

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I believe you only pull sea serpents in deep water. If you're boat is moving you need to be on slow or you will outrun the fishing spot where the serpent surfaces and never see it come up.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes. Deep water is required. 5-6 mibs per hour should be an average rate. (At least for me it is)
Only krakens from nets can have a mib in their loot. Normal sea serpents dont have them, too. (Actually when you are fishing, you dont fish up a sea serpent, that could have a mib with it. You fish up a mib that is protected by a sea serpent.)

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
You can buy the salvage hook from that guy from the Aratat quest in Trinsic and throw them in deep water.
They will often cause krakens, water elementals, sea serpents and deep sea serpenrts to spawn.
Kill those monsters and loot the monsters. You will gather dozens of MIBs that way. Krakens more often than not will have them.

pacific cruiser

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
like Silverbird i also an about 5-6 an hour.i am fishing in deep water and have the boat moving. once i see in the lower left of screen a message i have fished up something other then a fish i stop my boat. most times it will let you know weather it is a mib or a sodden parchment(lvl 1 map).kill serpent and continue fishing in same spot. sometimes ill fish more up at that spot i have stopped at.

archiv

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've always had mixed results with farming. Everyone says it's the RNG, I don't believe it. Fishing is better on the weekdays, all the weekend fishers seem to scare the serps away! But really, that is something I've noticed. Monday through Thursday I can get anywhere between 5-15 in an hour (on a good day) in my secret fishing hole. I've fished in the same spot for years, start on one end, fish it dry, move over a little, fish it dry, etc. get to the other end and go back to the start. Friday night rolls around and suddenly I'm getting nothing. I've tried with and without luck just on the off chance that had something to do with it. It very well may just be coincidence. Same results have fallen true for me with throwing the green nets. Weekdays = good results. Weekends = empty cargo hold. I haven't tried using the salvage hooks but I like how that sounds.

pacific cruiser

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with you Archiv about weekday VS the weekend.. i also find the weekdays seem to give me more mibs and rare fish..i am thinking less fishing going on so were able to collect more... my opinion anyways

Venora Rhyse

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
You can buy the salvage hook from that guy from the Aratat quest in Trinsic and throw them in deep water.
They will often cause krakens, water elementals, sea serpents and deep sea serpenrts to spawn.
Kill those monsters and loot the monsters. You will gather dozens of MIBs that way. Krakens more often than not will have them.
Nice idea on the Salvage Hooks! I haven't tried them but I saw the NPC and was wondering what those hooks did. I'll have to give it a try now.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What good comes from MiBs nowadays to want to farm them ?

Unravel the chest's items for imbuing resources ?

Venora Rhyse

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
The amount of gold's changed in them, it's increased from when I used to play. Plus sometimes instead of a MiB you get a ship's metal box which has gems like perfect emeralds, turquoise, blue diamond or others, including decorative ingots or bricks like bronze or gold. Along with artifacts now, like the runed bow, kelp leggings, or wedding dress (which is marble cloth, so people buy them to cut them up for the cloth). There's other stuff that's decorative like chest of drawers, oars, grapevine (middle sections give grapes), or large nets. I haven't gotten one yet, but there's also a yellow polka dot bikini. In the chests there's a chance of armor refinements too which can be sold or kept if imbuing.

So for me I just like the gold (which for me is my main source of income aside from my vendors) and the chance to get some items above, whether it's to keep or sell. Plus as always, the colored nets or white nets. And yup, as you said to unravel items for imbuing resources. For me I keep them since I'm still training, but otherwise I hear they sell really good on vendors. I'm always fishing anyhow to do the fishing quests so it's nice to do MiB's while you're already out there.

Here's some links on some of the new stuff (well new if you're also a returning player):
http://uo2.stratics.com/items/magic-item-properties/armor-refinement
http://www.uoguide.com/A_Ship's_Strongbox
http://www.uoguide.com/Message_in_a_Bottle

pacific cruiser

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i also agree with Venora farming mib's or just fishing them up is our new way to make gold and have some real cool deco. also if you have not tried it yet the new armor we get is also pretty cheap and nice armor to use if you dont have a imbuer.getting a white mib gives you a chance at getting a ghost anchor ,pink polka dot bikini and other higher lvl "grabs" thats also sell in the millions to some people. since coming back its a fun way to deep water fish and collect gold.It now makes having a fisherperson a good choice to create to have a chance of making gold without having to fight mobs at a spawn or a relaxing way to make gold .

Lucky Luke

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The reason I ask is because on my road to 120 my fisher I think I only ever pulled up 1 MIB from fishing. I am hoping there is a better way out there. Any insight you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.
This is possible if he's been training within 15 tiles of a serverline :) You can train up fishing and not got any serpents spawn.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tend to ask in general chat or snap up the bargains using vendor search. I've been lucky enough to buy some for 5k and sometimes will spend up to 15k. Far easier than farming them myself! The gold and items inside easily covers the cost.

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
You can fish off the dock at maginica. My friend gets serpents while crabbing.