• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Blacksmithing] Metal armor penalty

M

Mudde

Hello all, I was smithing some armor suits the other day and recalled something from when I played in the late 90's that I thought I should ask the community about...

Metal armor pieces had a hidden dex penalty attached to them. It scaled with the type of piece i.e. plate's penalty was larger than ringmail. It wasn't huge, and with today's much larger dex/stamina numbers, it probably wouldn't make that much of an impact.

Does this hidden penalty still exist?

Richwarf

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The main impact that I know with metal suits (any type), is the -MR.

Humans gain base MR from using a med suit (normal leather).
This is since ALL humans have 20 in all skills, so thats 20 focus/med.

Even a warrior (in UO) needs MR now, for special moves.

See Mana Regeneration - UOGuide for more info :)

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am not sure exactly when it changed but long ago there was much hidden that did not show in the desription. Now the only thing that doesn't show is that it affects mana regeneration and meditation. There is basically no advantage to metal armor.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No, the dex penalty went away with AoS 8 years ago.