• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Messages in a Bottle : Why don't they STACK with each other ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is something which I fail to understand and that is why on earth Messages in a Bottle do not stack with each other.

Yes, they can become an SoS or an Ancient SoS but that happens "after" one double clicks them.

Before then, they are all the same one thing as the RNG comes into play only the instant one double clicks the bottle, not before.

Therefore, MiBs sound to me all one same, exact thing.

Why they do not stack with each other then ??

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you frigging serious? That is like asking...why don't my ethies stack, or how come I cannot double up my *locked* treasure chests.

Not long ago you asked why people gave you such a hard time. Threads like this explain it all....

Thanks poops...for wasting the energy equivalent of a tree on this crappy thread.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because bottles, in any shape or form, ale, liquor, wine - none of them stack.

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Popps' trolling got old years ago, does he know where the bodies are hidden under the Stratics patio?

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Bodies? What bodies? :eyes:

B

Babble

From a game design point it is a valid question.
The graphic for stackables is there, so it should be doable,
As why it isn't so... my guess is the developers want to avoid that people hoard lots of mibs and would rather see that you open a new account to hoard it all
:)

R

RavenWinterHawk

There is something which I fail to understand and that is why on earth Messages in a Bottle do not stack with each other.

Yes, they can become an SoS or an Ancient SoS but that happens "after" one double clicks them.

Before then, they are all the same one thing as the RNG comes into play only the instant one double clicks the bottle, not before.

Therefore, MiBs and all one same exact thing.

Because this is not a game about hoarding. It has turned into to one. Way to many things stack that shouldnt. Potions for instance.

Having a sos BOD book only allows one player to keep a bizzillion maps that should otherwise go out vendors. Keep what you use.

Having stacked SOS bottles is the same.

Everything isnt a good candidate for stacking. Sell the extra dam stuff or dump your other crap. You being any hoarder.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
MIB just one those items that is worth doing now or never gets done. MIB are another get on the EC bandwagon. Set the waypoint for the SOS and when see a group forming go PACMAN them up.

As far as the hit on BODs. That is from someone that has no clue on the usefulness of the BOD books for sorting. Or the fact how many have to be collected or tunred in just to get a large to put those samlls to use.

OP should of went with the buff fish need stacking.

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I agree with you. They really should stack.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From a game design point it is a valid question.
The graphic for stackables is there, so it should be doable,
As why it isn't so... my guess is the developers want to avoid that people hoard lots of mibs and would rather see that you open a new account to hoard it all
No...it isn't...it's not a static item. Every MIB is different, and therefor non stackable. THINK MCFLY THINK!

D

Deb

Umm, I may not be right on this BUT I would not want near Skara MIB's
stacked with my near Trinsic ones. My guess is since each one is located
differently that is why they do not stack. They are not exactly the same item
ID.
Popps, you really should spend more time playing the game and maybe do
alittle researching here or on UOGuide then you would understand the how
where or why of the mechanics of this game.

G

Gowron

If we stack messages in a bottle, can we stack all the useless posts from Popps?

B

Babble

No...it isn't...it's not a static item. Every MIB is different, and therefor non stackable. THINK MCFLY THINK!
Depends like he said when the spot calculation is made.
if it is on doubleclick then all mibs are the same.

If the spot calculation is made when you fish them up, then you are right

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Please go back in your hole...thanks.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I would imagine the spot calculation is made after the double click and, therefore, all MiBs when created are equal.

It would be cool to hear a Developer say which is which........

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do people have boxes of bottles? I open them almost right away to find any ancient ones. :D If I found a box of 125 bottles I'd have a field day. :p

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ya forget the request to make the bottles stackable and instead just make a map book that holds a bunch of them along with t-maps

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
RavenWinterHawk people have been hording from day one! I can tell you have ether not played from beta or have forgotten your Fellucian training. Keep everything you never know when you will need it, but that was when we had no limit on how much you could keep in your house.

Popps has a valid request, the MIB bottle is the generic bottle and should stack as the generator for the SoS has nothing to do with the mib you fish up till you open it. Then and only then does it differ in any way.

hehe in a way this reminds me of no lable cans in the kitchen. when I was a kid mom would clean out the cupboards once every 6 months and we would pool all the cans that the lables came off and open them. You never knew what you would open till you did.
So you see the same can be said for the mib.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would imagine the spot calculation is made after the double click and, therefore, all MiBs when created are equal.

It would be cool to hear a Developer say which is which........
I think you should also go back to your hole. :yell:

R

RavenWinterHawk

RavenWinterHawk people have been hording from day one! I can tell you have ether not played from beta or have forgotten your Fellucian training. Keep everything you never know when you will need it, but that was when we had no limit on how much you could keep in your house.

Popps has a valid request, the MIB bottle is the generic bottle and should stack as the generator for the SoS has nothing to do with the mib you fish up till you open it. Then and only then does it differ in any way.

hehe in a way this reminds me of no lable cans in the kitchen. when I was a kid mom would clean out the cupboards once every 6 months and we would pool all the cans that the lables came off and open them. You never knew what you would open till you did.
So you see the same can be said for the mib.
Hoarding is a disease, check cable.
We cant enable this activity!

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

If MiBs stacked, and were thus treated as one item, and you double clicked the stack, would you get x number of SoS's all for the exact same coordinates?

hmmmm. This could be an interesting bug!!!! :)

B

Babble

If MiBs stacked, and were thus treated as one item, and you double clicked the stack, would you get x number of SoS's all for the exact same coordinates?

*grins*
Depends on the programer - most likely a 'you cannot use this item'
:p

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
T-maps don't stack, because they are all different. They all have a different location. Well, almost all. It's just the chance of getting a t-map with the same location isn't exactly common.

Potions stack, but only if they are the same potion. A greater heal potion wont stack with a heal potion. A Deadly poison potion wont stack with a lesser poison potion. Also you have to remember this is UO, a game with a really old code.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Easy fix, as I see it.... :

Situation = Stack of MiBs.......

Process #1 = Double click on a stack of MiBs only results in 1 MiB ejected from the stack

Process #2 = Double click on a single MiB (not a stack) results in either an SoS or Ancient Sos and generates a location for that Sos/Ancient Sos.

Left clicking on a stack of MiBs and dragging on screen generates a gump to split the Stack into a separate stack or a single MiB of choice (like it already happens with all stackables, currently).

Problem dealt with.....

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
T-maps don't stack, because they are all different. They all have a different location. Well, almost all. It's just the chance of getting a t-map with the same location isn't exactly common.

Potions stack, but only if they are the same potion. A greater heal potion wont stack with a heal potion. A Deadly poison potion wont stack with a lesser poison potion. Also you have to remember this is UO, a game with a really old code.

Well, for Treasure Maps more that stacking a possible better storage solution would be like for Bulk Order Deeds which are "kinda stacked" but in Books, in Bulk Order Deeds Books, that is...

BODs are different from each other and yet, 500 can fit in a BOD Book reducing item count up to 5 items for 500 BODs contained in a book. Such a Book for Treasure Maps would help towards better storage, greatly.

Besides, it could be a new craftable to help crafters.......

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Process #1 = Double click on a stack of MiBs only results in 1 MiB ejected from the stack

Process #2 = Double click on a single MiB (not a stack) results in either an SoS or Ancient Sos and generates a location for that Sos/Ancient Sos.

Left clicking on a stack of MiBs and dragging on screen generates a gump to split the Stack into a separate stack or a single MiB of choice (like it already happens with all stackables, currently).

Problem dealt with.....
Sure popps, but who knows, the coding could be wrong in the intial publish, and this bug could happen.

Then, as per you previous posts, so as not to give an unfair advantage to those people who happened to have stacks of MiBs before the fix is published, this poor coding should remain in the game. :)

Oh, and it is called humor popps. Its a RL skill.

And since te current coding is you double click the MiB to get an SoS, and many stackables do not work on a single extraction for double clicks (ore smelting, fish steaks, etc.) who knows, this could happen......Especially if they put that programmer...what's his name??? Murphy??? to work on this. :)

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Problem dealt with.....
Easier said than done popps. Do you know how complicated the coding for UO is? It's never as easy as step one and step two. Never has been in the past otherwise we wouldn't have all these bugs every now and then.

B

Babble

remember the 'old' potions which had a fixed amount of healing when created - yes gm alchemists had better potions than master alchemists and so those potions could then not be stacked until thex changed the code a few years later

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Problem dealt with.....
Sure popps, but who knows, the coding could be wrong in the intial publish, and this bug could happen.

Then, as per you previous posts, so as not to give an unfair advantage to those people who happened to have stacks of MiBs before the fix is published, this poor coding should remain in the game. :)

Oh, and it is called humor popps. Its a RL skill.

And since te current coding is you double click the MiB to get an SoS, and many stackables do not work on a single extraction for double clicks (ore smelting, fish steaks, etc.) who knows, this could happen......Especially if they put that programmer...what's his name??? Murphy??? to work on this. :)

Well, so far I think they know pretty well how to code with stacks if I consider as an example, for example, the applying of baits to a stack of traps.

It works as a charm and have not heard of any bugs so far.....

It is just 1 example of code applied to a stack of items in UO but it shows to me, nonetheless, that things can be done, and done well also, with stacks of items in UO....

Thav12

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I agree with you. They really should stack.
I agree with the both of you.

Thav12

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Umm, I may not be right on this BUT I would not want near Skara MIB's
stacked with my near Trinsic ones. My guess is since each one is located
differently that is why they do not stack. They are not exactly the same item
ID.
Popps, you really should spend more time playing the game and maybe do
alittle researching here or on UOGuide then you would understand the how
where or why of the mechanics of this game.
Everyone likes to poop on popps. However, he actually plays the game and notices a lot of things that are taken for granted. They may not reach your threshold of complaining about them, true, but they can not be dismissed by the self-righteous crowd here without at least acknowledging that there is some side to it that actually makes sense.

This post here that I quoted is so typical in that sense. Someone bashing popps, stating that he needs to play the game, yet failing to realize that a bottle is not actually pointing to a particular location yet. You do not have trinsic bottles or skara bottles. It's the message in the bottle that you need to extract first. it'd like a rolled up t-map inside a bottle. If t-maps came in bottles or boxes, i would argue the same for the t-map bottles or boxes.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, SoS's obviously can't stack being unique items (UO's stack code seems to work as a basic "top item X times", it doesn't store the individual items, as seen with stuff like items supposed to be unique stacking with non-unique ones and all becoming the latter)

Mib's however, since they are non-unique items, should be an item flag, so I don't see why not.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The idea with MIB's and Maps is that you USE Them..... and don't keep them around long enough to clutter up your home.

But things like Chocolateering stuff..... power crystals and things like that NEED to stack...

Thav12

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The idea with MIB's and Maps is that you USE Them..... and don't keep them around long enough to clutter up your home.

But things like Chocolateering stuff..... power crystals and things like that NEED to stack...
No.

MIB's are not equal to t-maps. the SOS are equal to t-maps and could be used. That was the OP's entire point.

When you fish up MIB's they may as well stack. Now, is it important that they do? Should this be heavily discussed and put forth as an important fix to the game? Probably not. It does not hurt anything or anybody either way. Personally, i think anything that could stack probably should. Saves space and minimizes clutter.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think MiB's would be equal to the tattered maps as both are not decoded yet. As a t-hunter I think it would be nice if the un-decoded maps could stack as long as we don't run into issues. The decoded maps I just can't see stacking. In which case something like a bod book would be cool.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We need alot of things to stack...... give the devs the idea to save room they will do so.

Thav12

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think MiB's would be equal to the tattered maps as both are not decoded yet. As a t-hunter I think it would be nice if the un-decoded maps could stack as long as we don't run into issues. The decoded maps I just can't see stacking. In which case something like a bod book would be cool.
agree entirely