Mesanna ... are you TRYING to drive people away from EM events?

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Lake Superior
crysta-elf.deviantart.com
And this is okay with you and that is no problem. I can't believe someone wasn't on here crying and griping that "those dang people put furniture around the Yew winery and blocked my recall spot".
Well i'm sure anyone that WOULD complain about the deco for the Grape Harvest on LS knows better than to do so, lest they get ground into the dirt by my incessant arguing ability. I don't appreciate people complaining about stuff when i'm involved, unless it's something I have problems with myself.

D

D'Amavir

I've seen plenty of EM creativity across several shards, and none of it involved rewards. EMs aren't limited at all in making special items, merely handing them out to players.

I'd rather not have a bunch of BS, oddly hued items flooding the market.

An EM's ability for creativity can't be summed up in the ****ing loot he hands out.

Check out the screenies in these threads:

http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=138150

http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=138209
FYI, your EM rocks! Like I said, I am digging my shard's EM as well. He actually comes and takes part in player run events and seems to go out of his way to help build the community. And he does it by more than just item giving outing. Though, sadly, he seems to do that part too. As I am sure they all do so its not a slight on him.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
May 26, 2008
Texas
I don't want to be around the type of people that show up for the freebies. That's just a personal opinion of course. If your game enjoyment is built around what someone can give you item wise, that is totally your right.
You miss the point, awards/rewards for noble service and winning are a part of our history. And this goes way back to the beginning, I can remember before trammel came about, we had seers and counselors. Improptu things happened a lot...for example, once the town crier in Brit started screaming about giant Ogres at the crossroads! So we loaded up and went, battled the pks who always hung out there, and sure enough!!
A super giant ogre (none of us, or at least very few, at that time had ever seen a Ogre Lord!) And he had some souped up HP too, let me tell ya :)
The seers were hidden, i guess, and probably one was running the OL. Long story short, they watched who was valiantly fighting, not necessarily who was doin the most damage, but who persisted. At the end , a few people got a reward, a broadsword, labelled along the lines of "A broadsword of supreme Ogre Bashing" or something like that.
I know, my wife got one :) (AoS destroyed it with the name changes tho :( )
And we all went home, with no one mad.
And we all went running to help the next time the crier started shouting, looking forward to the event and who would be the winner that day.
Nothing wrong with momentos, nothing wrong with awards, nothing wrong with rewards, they just need to remove the disgruntled and the greedy from the events/event areas, and let those that are there to participate play unhassled.

I think I've said all I can say without crossing any lines here, so I'm gonna be done with this tthread. Y'all carry on complaining, and when the EMs are dismissed, I'll be here to read your complaints about why we don't have events anymore.

Just like I did with the seers, counselors, companions, the old EMs, etc...
History repeats...

D

D'Amavir

You miss the point, awards/rewards for noble service and winning are a part of our history. And this goes way back to the beginning, I can remember before trammel came about, we had seers and counselors. Improptu things happened a lot...for example, once the town crier in Brit started screaming about giant Ogres at the crossroads! So we loaded up and went, battled the pks who always hung out there, and sure enough!!
I didn't miss any point. I know fully well that giving out pseudo rares is a long time activity in UO. And I also know that it has always ended up with pseudo rares being sold on vendors, people complaining about not getting those pseudo rares and people complaining that those pseudo rares aren't good enough.

Just because it happened in the past doesn't mean it should still be the way things are done. It failed in the past. Learn from the mistakes and think of new ways. That's part of the problem with people playing UO. They just can't grasp anything other than what's always been done.

And, I wouldn't call showing up in the EM hall a 'noble service'. Anyone that showed up to meet the EM there got a pseudo rare sash. Once the gimme gimmes found out about that, they freaked. Now, if people had learned from the mistakes of the past and removed the pseudo rare stuff from the equation, you would have had a small amount of complaining at first then the gimme gimmes would have moved on and the EM's could focus on community building like they are supposed to.

D

D'Amavir

I'd love to see them blacklist anyone complaining about not getting anything from future event participation... much better way of fixing the problem.
I would also like to see people banned from events if they turned around and sold the 'gifts' afterwards. It won't happen of course but I can dream.

If they HAVE to give out gifts, make them stuck on the character that receives them. They have the coding for that already. You can't drop those green scrolls from the skeletal lich. If you are rewarded for your 'noble service' you should be 'noble' enough to not turn around and sell the reward for that 'service'.

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Lake Superior
What is done with the items is up to the owner, not you. I don't like seeing people selling them either, but it's not my decision, or yours. People trying to control how the items go around as if they have some say in how someone else treats their items is another big complaining problem lately... this isn't a communist system; each person's items are their own.

Would I like to see some stuff tied to specific shards? Yes, but the ways they have of doing so now suck terribly (there is no "character/account-bound" status, really... just making stuff permanently stuck in someone's pack unless its equipped... no banking, no display, no storage), so i'd rather they not be used. Whatever the EM's decide on how to handle them is what we all have to live with.

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Jul 29, 2008
minocianresistance.webs.com
If Lord British had his way it'd be a communism...or totalitarianism... I don't know, one of those -isms.

Order vs Freedom and Equality (Chaos)

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Lake Superior
Wouldn't have been possible.. no matter what the intent is, games that are controlled by a company and game staff are technically a figurehead-less monarchy. And don't go saying "or dictatorship", either.. the devs do listen to what the people say and make changes based on that quite often.

*edit*
And seeing as how this has been moved to SnR now, it has lost all relevance. I'm out.

D

D'Amavir

What is done with the items is up to the owner, not you. I don't like seeing people selling them either, but it's not my decision, or yours. People trying to control how the items go around as if they have some say in how someone else treats their items is another big complaining problem lately... this isn't a communist system; each person's items are their own.

Would I like to see some stuff tied to specific shards? Yes, but the ways they have of doing so now suck terribly (there is no "character/account-bound" status, really... just making stuff permanently stuck in someone's pack unless its equipped... no banking, no display, no storage), so i'd rather they not be used. Whatever the EM's decide on how to handle them is what we all have to live with.
Of course its not up to me. That's why I said 'I would like to see'. Just like you said you would like to see them tied to specific shards. How is your opinion on what should be allowed with the items any better? Short answer, its not. Long answer, its not, duh.

And its not up to EM's to decide. As this thread shows. Its up to the actual devs to decide. But, we are all free to give our opinions on what we would like to see happen. Just like you did and just like I did. Opinions.

zared of napa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 26, 2007
Can anyone answer this???
They dont need it or ask for it...Gold was donated for a few extra people to show up It did its job.I didnt participate I did stealth around and watch ;)i was happy at the response and the turn out i wish it was more. Anyways It takes just a few people to rally support for the EM events, soon We wont need to lure peeps to them. They will see they are fun in the mean time I will Do everything in my power to jump start a long forgotten aspect of this game FUN

zared of napa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 26, 2007
Ea and the Ems have to be so careful about these things, so i really dont see the big issue and how the EM was whisked away was harmful ... i dont think he was pulled into a dungeon and tortured...

I think the main issue here is the whold Million gold thing... yes it was a donation and yes well ment , but look at it this way...

EM gave the 2nd place your 2 mill may have even mentioned it to the player....
Playes goes off telling his friend how your EM gives out gold as prices ... maybe even sais "couple mill" but nowhere mentions that is was a donted price...
The friend goes off and tells his best buddy... hey my friend gor several mills as a price from an EM...
# days later you will have UHALL screeming "i thought they dont give out multy million Gold prices anymore but a small token instead!!!"

EMs will ask for donations if they want or need them , they have done so on Atlantic and where flooded with flowers heh...

If you want to run an Event and give out prices feel free to but you most likly have to run it yourself :)
Just try to remember , the EMs have to be completly neutral or we will see the EMs go poof again :(
He was tortured he came back with whip marks ..Anyways The EM spams for 5 mins at the begining of the event telling everybody the two Million gold in this case was donated by X and not a EM sanctioned item. At the end of the event just before handing out the items he again reminds people it was donated by X.

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
I am terribly frustrated that this was moved to SnR. Sure I was and am upset, but I was not just ranting, and it is a valid conversation.

I would suspect that the EM had misunderstood something somewhere about donations not being allowed, or he simply would not have done so to begin with. He only wants to make fun for people.

@THR - Donations were not necessary, it was just people trying to support the EM program and the events that chose to donate. I would rather donate to an EM event than a player run, to be honest. The EM never asked for donations.

@ the person who said "Dont assume they have other ways to communicate", dont be silly. Of course they do. You really think EA would employ EMs without some form of contact? Sarsmi was probably more eloquent than me in explaining what is so upsetting.

M

MoneyMaker

There goes the assumptions again!!!
the EMs are not, in any fashion or form, Employees/associates/contracted by EA.
They are Volunteers form your own shards/communities, that took the time from their lives to make your shard a more fun and involved place to play.
To assume that they have a alternate form of communication with EA or any of its employees, is a complete assumption.
That would be like someone assuming something about you and your life beyond UO.
As for this thread being moved to SnR, well look at the title of the thread. I would automatically moved it to off-topic, since it clearly looks to be a bait for an argument with Mesanna, Who in my opinion is the more mature party here, for not being baited in.
I run a buisness. If a person starts doing something that is against our policies (does not matter if this person works for us or not) that could get us into trouble, i.e. legal, slander, etc., that person is gonna be pulled to the side IMMEDIATELY and told what is wrong with their actions. It does not matter if that person has already done the damage, I will still pull them to the side and take care of buisness.
This is a common practice in any buisness. Would you have rather she screamed at him publically, or perhaps waited til later and told him that if anything came of it, that it would be his position of EM on the line?
I don't know why I even bother to write this. No matter how it is handled there is gonna be someone who complains.

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
MoneyMaker ... you are wrong. There was an application process, they ARE in fact, employees, and they are NOT allowed to EM on their own shards. You are confusing the old EM program with the new one. They not only do EM "mini-events", they also carry out Developer scripted Event Arc events.

D

Dragonchilde

Money Maker, it's EA policy (going WAY back) that anyone with a robe cannot serve on their home shard. When I was just a Lead Companion (gold robe, no powers beyond teleportation and invisibility)I was not allowed to be on my home shard of Chesapeake, nor have any characters beyond my robed character on the shard I served.

You are also absolutely under contract, and under an NDA for multiple things. You ARE an employee, just not a paid one.

M

MoneyMaker

ahh, sorry bout that, I was misinformed then.
Thank you for the clear up.
But still, I can totally understand the way she handled it.
*fades into the background*

G

Gark

Now i can see where pullin them off might be bad form, and i can see people wanting to donate.

Donating to em event is like offering god your first born. Already owned, thanks for giving me my stuff back

As for gimme's, in 2003 i got a royal guard sash, dark blue in color.
It has little dif spelling than most i see. Is it on my vendor for mucho gold-a-rinos? no.
It is in my bank, with my 1000 ruby wedding band from my In and out of game wife K'lypso.
Did I get it for just showing up to some hall? no. After 3 hours of fighting lag, paragon level dragons etc my poor swords lumberjack got it as a reminder of a good time with people who aren't even around anymore. I look at it, and remember them.

Can events be great without crap to fill my house? Sure. LS winery fest was an absolute blast.

Also like to add, for dubious reasons, I'm glad someone(prev poster) remembered the councelor's.
The halls dont say "em guild" after all.